Best place to buy - local roasted cashews

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Best place to buy - local roasted cashews

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:27 am
willyhilly wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:35 pm This is true, they use massive amounts of water. Far more than any other crop. California is a disaster because of them. Parts of cambodia would have a much higher water table so less irrigation required.
Less irrigation? Most areas in Cambodia receive more rain than a cashew nut tree can consume. I have never come across a Cambodian cashew nut plantation requiring irrigation. The Californian- and Cambodian climate are very, very different.
I am no expert, but I do a lot of hiking and bird watching in the sticks, and I have never seen Cashew trees being irrigated. When I grew up in Kenya, there were tons of cashew trees around my mom's place. Likewise, they were never irrigated.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Higher water table aquifers etc, doesn't have to be direct. I don't know the root structure so maybe something to do with that
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

No.
My cashew plantation is at the top of a hill, with no access to the water table. Rain is the only source of water and is enough for growing cashew in Cambodia, the young trees won't die even if they don't receive water during the 5-6 months of the dry season. Your example of the californian desert where there's way less yearly rain doesn't apply to a tropical country.
By the way, Cambodia has a perfect weather for cashew trees and exports a million tons each year to Vietnam where nuts are processed. Without the need of extra water.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Same here, top of the hill, no access to water table (about 15 meters deep) or aquifer. Despite having cashews planted there's still a run-off of rain water.

Cashews also have extra benefits by the way. They provide shade, prevent erosion, lower the local temperature and attract some wildlife. Their need for a lot of water is no issue in Cambodia, because rain water is available in massive quantities.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Good stuff I thought the rainy season was it and the rest of the year dry
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:24 pm Good stuff I thought the rainy season was it and the rest of the year dry
That's exactly the climate the cashew likes. Loads of water for months, and then drought from the moment it starts flowering.
When there's rain during the flowering period there will be fewer fruits / nuts.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I wonder if the TS got his stuff and where, what quality and what price. As I mentioned before, I'm a cashew Junkie and if my dealer runs dry, it would be good to know reliable alternatives, since there are great differences available in quality and price
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
nndavid
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by nndavid »

ressl wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:56 pm I wonder if the TS got his stuff and where, what quality and what price. As I mentioned before, I'm a cashew Junkie and if my dealer runs dry, it would be good to know reliable alternatives, since there are great differences available in quality and price
I did find some great roasted cashews at a stall just outside the main entrance area of Central Market. I can't seem to upload an image currently (coz Igmur is overloaded or something) but will try again later.

It's called Romany, from Stung Treng Province, and it's very tasty. After some confusing negotiation, I got 4 x 500g bags for $26.50. Asking price was $7 per bag. He had $4 and $5 bags as well, and the free taste clearly showed a difference.

And the $7 ones were more tasty than the over priced 150g stuff from Lucky!

If interested, this is the number to call: 012 32 18 12
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Thanks, I will give it a try next week, when I'm back in PP
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
nndavid
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by nndavid »

[url=https://postimg.cc/K3TbzxMB]Image

I hope this works!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic