Best place to buy - local roasted cashews

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Best place to buy - local roasted cashews

Post by hanno »

nndavid wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:44 pm Thanks @hanno and @barang_TK for the useful replies. Not planning to buy a huge amount, so not worth a trip out of PP, but will check out Central Market.

This may be a silly question @hanno but it's been a while since I've been to the CM - any particular store I should look for? Thanks again!
The stall is outside the market, location here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stree ... ?entry=ttu
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Kuyavic »

It is actually right at the South/West corner of Central Market. l also used to buy chestnuts there. The cashew nuts are roasted and vacuum packed 500 g and 1 kg, around $10 per kg.
Beeing an addict, I used to buy the cashew nuts unroasted out of a 20 kg bag for just under $10 /kg from a lady inside Phsar Kandal at one of the dry goods stalls (coffee etc). Or from a stall on street 148 near street 5 opposite the fish mongers. I used to roast them myself in the gas stove for 5 minutes but you have to be careful to take them out at the just right time before they get too dark.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

stevenjb wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:07 am Cashews. Ever seen the women's (labor) fingers from shucking those things? Toxic.
Yes, it's nasty stuff for sure.
nndavid
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by nndavid »

hanno wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:00 am
nndavid wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:44 pm Thanks @hanno and @barang_TK for the useful replies. Not planning to buy a huge amount, so not worth a trip out of PP, but will check out Central Market.

This may be a silly question @hanno but it's been a while since I've been to the CM - any particular store I should look for? Thanks again!
The stall is outside the market, location here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stree ... ?entry=ttu
Thank you so much! I will say the hansum man hanno from CEO sent me! :)
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

They are a very wasteful thing to grow

In terms of their environmental impact cashews are quite water intensive. It takes around 6450 litres of water to produce 1 pound of cashew nuts!
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I am a cashew Junkie. My local dealer on Street 39MC corner unknown (search for Sweet Salon on Google Maps) sells 500g for 13k. Roasted, not salted, all broken (hence the price), but good quality. I need to stock up at least once a week there...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:59 pm They are a very wasteful thing to grow

In terms of their environmental impact cashews are quite water intensive. It takes around 6450 litres of water to produce 1 pound of cashew nuts!
What's with this combining metric and imperial measurements in one sentence? Isn't life complicated enough? :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

They are a very wasteful thing to grow

In terms of their environmental impact cashews are quite water intensive. It takes around 6450 litres of water to produce 0.45359237 kilograms of cashew nuts!

Corrected
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:24 am They are a very wasteful thing to grow

In terms of their environmental impact cashews are quite water intensive. It takes around 6450 litres of water to produce 0.45359237 kilograms of cashew nuts!

Corrected
Are you serious ? Cashew nut trees almost don't need water to grow. Plant a tree even in october at the end of the rainy season and it'll survive the next 5-6 months without watering it. It's one of the easiest crop to grow here in Cambodia, you just have to prune your trees every year. The harvest is quite hard though.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

barang_TK wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:50 am
MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:24 am They are a very wasteful thing to grow

Corrected
Are you serious ? Cashew nut trees almost don't need water to grow. Plant a tree even in october at the end of the rainy season and it'll survive the next 5-6 months without watering it. It's one of the easiest crop to grow here in Cambodia, you just have to prune your trees every year. The harvest is quite hard though.
Honestly other than almond trees I don't think there's another nut crop that uses as much water. Have a look at the water usage table at the page https://greenecofriend.co.uk/how-eco-fr ... hew%20nuts!

California has a huge water deficit due to the farming of similar crops, there's a good chance that the mekong delta could suffer the same fate as the chinese are creating dams upstream which will result in less water for lower lying countries.

https://www.ppic.org/publication/policy ... riculture/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic