Insurance home+motor

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Insurance home+motor

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Hello

Which company have you found to be the best price+service for Insurance home+motor

Mark
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Insurance home+motor

Post by Doc67 »

Do they even have such a thing as home insurance for burglary? I expect someone will take your money, but demanding that they later pay you 20x your premium would cause enormous offense. They would probably have you arrested for attempted fraud.

I doubt there is an ombudsman you could complain to.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:47 pm Do they even have such a thing as home insurance for burglary? I expect someone will take your money, but demanding that they later pay you 20x your premium would cause enormous offense. They would probably have you arrested for attempted fraud.

I doubt there is an ombudsman you could complain to.
Had this before in HK but I thought I would ask! Makes mental note to leave family silver in UK
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

The local version of insurance is having built-in steel bars on the windows.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:26 am The local version of insurance is having built-in steel bars on the windows.
had a home in phuket broken into 25 years ago
had a steel gate on door, had steel bars on the windows>
they climbed up on the roof, broke a few tiles and dropped into the house
Bars on windows LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

That could be a real problem! Are break-in crimes a common problem?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:13 am That could be a real problem! Are break-in crimes a common problem?
Not as common as the fear merchants say.

I lived a fair while in a semi-isolated area and refused to put bars in the windows or doors. In 3 years the only thefts were 4 motos and a few fishing rod phone thefts. My theory is that the most they can steal from an expat is phones/laptops/TV etc and these if secured sensibly are easily replaced. Also Khmer know that most Westerners take money as needed from the banks and dont have life savings under the mattress so less incentive for anything above petty theft.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

I thought about the bars but theres nothing to stop them coming in through the roof etc.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

kgbagent wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:27 pm
MarkArmstrong wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:13 am That could be a real problem! Are break-in crimes a common problem?
Not as common as the fear merchants say.

I lived a fair while in a semi-isolated area and refused to put bars in the windows or doors. In 3 years the only thefts were 4 motos and a few fishing rod phone thefts. My theory is that the most they can steal from an expat is phones/laptops/TV etc and these if secured sensibly are easily replaced. Also Khmer know that most Westerners take money as needed from the banks and dont have life savings under the mattress so less incentive for anything above petty theft.
Meant to point out that those thefts were in the local area - I never had any thefts
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Stop worrying and spend some time getting to know your Khmer neighbours, being friendly with them and asking their advice on anything you can think to chat with them about. That can go a long way towards having them look out for you and your property.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic