Insurance home+motor

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Insurance home+motor

Post by newkidontheblock »

A determined thief can come in through the roof, burrow up through the floor, storm the gates, pull the bars off the windows and ram down doors. And poison the guard dogs to boot.

It all depends on how much effort the thief wants to spend.

And what valuables he or she thinks you are keeping there.

And how desperate the thief is to get them.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Two of my neighbours are policemen. 5+ years and no break-in, not even an attempt. Having a gang of tuks downstairs (whom I use for travel and all sorts of odd jobs) is also handy as they see and hear everything. Nobody comes up those stairs that aren't carefully watched. Everybody knows everybody, neighbourhood watch on steroids.

There was a guy who broke into a house opposite about 2 years ago. He was spotted and someone called (shouted) for the police. Within minutes there were about 30 people on motorbikes - some in uniform, some not - and chaos ensued whereby they chased this guy through the back alley maze and up onto the roofs. My next-door neighbour (a policeman) was on his balcony with his radio spotting the thief, and this guy ended up going from roof to roof and then down onto a front balcony, then to another balcony facing the street, at which point he was totally surrounded and screwed. They went into the apartments and got him.

It was very impressive and way better than any police response for a burglary from where I come from.

It may look like there are none around - there are certainly none in patrol cars all fitted with highly expensive equipment and comms and festooned with lights and insignia like in the west - but they are out there and when the shout goes up, they appear very quickly and in large numbers.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

I was thinking something like this for valuables https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale-va ... ffice.html Everything else is so cheap now so cheap its of no concern, just for laptop watch, cards etc
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

work is for people who cant find truffles
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

truffledog wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:16 am Image

I like the nosey old bat form of security
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:20 am I was thinking something like this for valuables https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale-va ... ffice.html Everything else is so cheap now so cheap its of no concern, just for laptop watch, cards etc
Look along Monivong between Sihanouk and Mao Tse Toung, sure there were quite a few office furniture shops that also sold safes
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

@MarkArmstrong If you are serious about the insurance option you should look at Phillip Insurance (https://www.phillipinsurance.com.kh), similar offerings to the more established Cambodian companies but significantly less expensive when I did a comparison a couple of years ago, they have home & buildings insurance as well as vehicle cover.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

down_time wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:02 pm @MarkArmstrong If you are serious about the insurance option you should look at Phillip Insurance (https://www.phillipinsurance.com.kh), similar offerings to the more established Cambodian companies but significantly less expensive when I did a comparison a couple of years ago, they have home & buildings insurance as well as vehicle cover.
Thanks I will contact them.

Mark
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:41 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:16 am Image

I like the nosey old bat form of security
Nothing escapes their attention! But their recall and descriptions may be as suspect as, say, the suspects. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic