Residency Certificate

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Residency Certificate

Post by Bong Kri »

Hello,

I am having difficulties obtaining a residency certificate. I have had one previously and it was $20 at the Sangkat with my old landlord. I am in a new apartment and need a Residency Certificate. My landlord is saying the Sangkat won't do it as I'm not a citizen of Cambodia. Is there anything official anyone has to show the requirements for a Residency Certificate?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Residency Certificate

Post by violet »

Bong Kri wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:04 pm Hello,

I am having difficulties obtaining a residency certificate. I have had one previously and it was $20 at the Sangkat with my old landlord. I am in a new apartment and need a Residency Certificate. My landlord is saying the Sangkat won't do it as I'm not a citizen of Cambodia. Is there anything official anyone has to show the requirements for a Residency Certificate?

Which Sangkat is it? I’m just wondering which Sangkat thinks you need to be a citizen (not true).
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ignore him, mainly.

Many Khmer get their knowledge third hand, word of mouth, in a ‘my friend’s boyfriends father’s cousin told him’ type of way. And generally get less than half the critical information.

Go to the Sangkat. The residency letter is pretty much pro-forma these days, but expect to converse with staff who may be related to the aforementioned friend/boyfriend/father/cousin, and may have no clue.

I’m a person of finite patience, much less than it used to be. Biting my tongue is akin to traumatic amputation.

Expect the Sangkat to demand the home owner to present their documents, to demonstrate that they are the legal owners.
Maybe that’s a sticking point.

Normal turnaround is 2-3 business days, not including changes of PM, ministry coups, or religious festivals.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

violet wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:13 pm

Which Sangkat is it? I’m just wondering which Sangkat thinks you need to be a citizen (not true).
I read that as his landlord having that misconception
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:20 pm
violet wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:13 pm

I read that as his landlord having that misconception
Fair point
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The paper requires two stamps / signatures, one from the village chief, one from the sangkat. Start with the village chief, bring your passport with valid visa and rental contract just in case. Plus one passport photo. Official fee is 2000r for each, but I don't think they will get out of their hammock for that. If they refuse, tell them you need it to apply for a driving license. Since it's a requirement for first time DL application a refusal will make them look silly. Make sure you ask for the correct document. In Khmer you pronounce it like 'prorcheck tea roomnow'. The last o in now is pronounced as a strong o like in open.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic