What's the reason for poor telecommunications services in Cambodia? (Opinion Piece)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

What's the reason for poor telecommunications services in Cambodia? (Opinion Piece)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This opinion piece is from a local newspaper and has been translated into English:

"The quality of telecommunication services in Cambodia is a matter of concern, as highlighted by several factors. Firstly, telecom operators have focused their investments and efforts on expanding high-speed mobile broadband (3G/4G-LTE) coverage in only 70% of the country, mainly in commercial areas. This limitation leaves approximately 70% of the service areas without upgrades to handle the growing user traffic capacity. Furthermore, around 30% of non-commercial and rural areas lack access to high-speed internet.

According to the Telecommunications Law 2015, operators are required to allocate 2% of their total gross revenue to the Global Obligations Service Fund (USO). This fund is managed by an inter-ministerial working group comprising the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications and the Ministry of Economy and Finance. The main purpose of this fund is to develop policies and strategic plans to expand telecommunication networks in the remaining rural areas and ensure fair distribution of funds to support network development. These efforts aim to extend service areas and provide benefits to rural communities, thereby narrowing the digital divide between urban and rural areas. Additionally, this expansion would drive the digitization of vital sectors such as education, tourism, public affairs, and other industries, consequently contributing to the national economy.

Unfortunately, challenges persist. In areas like downtown Phnom Penh, big provincial towns, and economic zones like Borey, individuals residing and working there often oppose the installation of antennas and telecommunication equipment. They claim health concerns related to radio frequency radiation, despite assurances from reputable organizations such as the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and the World Health Organization (WHO) that such fears are unfounded. These individuals often prioritize aesthetic considerations and other subjective reasons over the advancement of telecommunication services.

Moreover, telecommunication service providers fail to comply with quality standards regarding the installation and equipping of telecommunication systems and networks. The sector also suffers from a lack of competent management skills and adequate laws and regulations to support policy formulation, development plans, and effective implementation.

The evolution of technology and digitalization in Cambodia remains somewhat ambiguous, hindering progress. Furthermore, the development and promotion of the internet market through the fiber optic network is still in its nascent stages.

To overcome these challenges and improve the quality and accessibility of high-speed internet, the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications should focus on enhancing the quality and coverage of 4G networks and preparing for the upcoming 5G revolution. This would require implementing policies and roadmaps for the construction of digital connectivity infrastructure. Additionally, the ministry should explore options such as leveraging digital TV emission, utilizing the 700 MHz radio frequency transmission, integrating the 3.5 GHz frequency band, and fostering the convergence of telecommunications, information technology, and digital services across various sectors.

Addressing these issues necessitates the active involvement of the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications, which should diligently examine and ensure accuracy, equity, efficiency, and environmental friendliness in the telecommunication sector. Full cooperation from telecommunication operators, as well as the understanding and cooperation of property owners and managers in commercial buildings and related locations unwilling to install antennas and telecommunication equipment, is crucial to overcome these challenges and drive progress in the sector."
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
KunKhmerSR
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What's the reason for poor telecommunications services in Cambodia? (Opinion Piece)

Post by KunKhmerSR »

Good to see someone bringing attention to this subject, too bad it is just an opinion piece.

Not a day goes by without connectivity issues no matter where I am (home, work, restaurant etc.) and when you switch to mobile data it's usually not much better.
Cambodia could be one of the top destinations for the ever growing digital workforce due to it's low living costs, easy visa and decent English level but with the unstable and slow connections we currently have that's not going to happen
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What's the reason for poor telecommunications services in Cambodia? (Opinion Piece)

Post by xandreu »

I have found the internet to be strangely selective a lot of the time. For example, I might be on my laptop trying to access websites and the internet appears to be offline, but someone else on the same network might be watching YouTube and not be having any issues at all. This doesn't just happen at home on my own wifi. Seems to happen in many places.

Also, when the internet (wifi) really does go offline, I have noticed that I often can't use 4G either. It's as if the entire internet for the whole country goes down.

Maybe it's just me?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

This is my conjecture and speculation.

All 4G carriers and internet providers use the same backbone.

It’s far cheaper for a carrier to convert all the 4G onto an internet backbone, rather than build a full network themselves.

The downside? Without multiple redundant networks, when the backbone goes down, everything goes down.

I also wonder how much new network bandwidth has actually been built, as opposed to end user nodes.

Increasing bandwidth doesn’t pay, but increasing end user nodes pays handsomely.

Just my opinions.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

What's the reason for poor telecommunications services in Cambodia?

Greed, maybe.

Cash in, and foster an environment where everyone wants connectivity.
Do the bare minimum to meet the highest density of demand.
Don’t reinvest, don’t spend on maintenance. Respond only when absolutely necessary, to minor innovations from the competition.
Count the small change.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I don't buy it.

1. USO roll out - a regulatory issue; which operator is going to roll out remote sites knowing that they won't actually see a dollar of the money back from the regulator without a heap of begging & paperwork?
2. No number portability preventing good operators getting more customers & thus expanding - a regulatory issue.
3. 5G which has been ready for years on at least one operator has put on hold until all operators can compete (including a certain favourite operator) - a regulatory issue.
4. Boreys refuse to let operators roll out equipment as they are either not a preferred operator, OR they have the age old health concerns - the regulator has only just started to address this issue after much lobbying by telcos; but still the borey owners are morons.
5. Operators need to jump through hoops to roll out fiber; seem to recall a certain CEO being threatened with imprisonment for trying to provide service in a remote area as he hadn't ticked the regulatory box on putting the fiber in - what a great advert for Cambodian business that was. "Come and try to provide a great service, oh you might end up in jail LOL."
6. One operator clearly pays tax - its parent is listed on the Malaysian stock exchange, so you can find the figures, a huge amount - if we assume, and that is a real long shot - that all three operators pay around the same amount, where on earth is that tax money being spent; it doesn't seem to go back to the telco regulator to improve.

All above aside, 4G in Cambodia is damn good overall - heck going back to the UK, or Europe I find way more black spots than here, you'd have to be right out in the sticks to not have a signal. Is it perfect? Of course not, but this is a truly whingy article, ws it written by some plonker at HRW or the BBC whilst drinking in the Soi Cowboy as "regional expert"?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:06 pm I don't buy it.

1. USO roll out - a regulatory issue; which operator is going to roll out remote sites knowing that they won't actually see a dollar of the money back from the regulator without a heap of begging & paperwork?
2. No number portability preventing good operators getting more customers & thus expanding - a regulatory issue.
3. 5G which has been ready for years on at least one operator has put on hold until all operators can compete (including a certain favourite operator) - a regulatory issue.
4. Boreys refuse to let operators roll out equipment as they are either not a preferred operator, OR they have the age old health concerns - the regulator has only just started to address this issue after much lobbying by telcos; but still the borey owners are morons.
5. Operators need to jump through hoops to roll out fiber; seem to recall a certain CEO being threatened with imprisonment for trying to provide service in a remote area as he hadn't ticked the regulatory box on putting the fiber in - what a great advert for Cambodian business that was. "Come and try to provide a great service, oh you might end up in jail LOL."
6. One operator clearly pays tax - its parent is listed on the Malaysian stock exchange, so you can find the figures, a huge amount - if we assume, and that is a real long shot - that all three operators pay around the same amount, where on earth is that tax money being spent; it doesn't seem to go back to the telco regulator to improve.

All above aside, 4G in Cambodia is damn good overall - heck going back to the UK, or Europe I find way more black spots than here, you'd have to be right out in the sticks to not have a signal. Is it perfect? Of course not, but this is a truly whingy article, ws it written by some plonker at HRW or the BBC whilst drinking in the Soi Cowboy as "regional expert"?

Same story! In the late 80s early 90s we had to build an IP backbone in the uk for C&W/BT however needless consultations with GOVT and private enterprise slowed it down horrendously which when combined with EDU projects such as SUPERJANET resulted in a slow motion move forward.

Even now the deregulated sector in the UK is a slow to move animal, as well as this you have to remember who you partner with on the AS/BGP level and I think understandably many telcos are hesitant to route via China.

I doubt if it will resolve itself soon as the only countries who managed that were the likes of Finland/Sweden who had a greenfield to play with and could go with gig connections to the home as there was no legacy infrastructure to deal with.

Upgrade where you have to maintain service is always a nightmare so stick with it as all of it will be much better soon.
Last edited by MarkArmstrong on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic