Cost of living crisis

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Here we go. Every thread here about prices or cost of living goes 10 pages minimum.

If it’s about the prices of bargirls then it’s 20 pages minimum .
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:53 pm Here we go. Every thread here about prices or cost of living goes 10 pages minimum.

Yes, but how much is the fish in Baltimore these days?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Laos has this problem now.

Skyrocketing Vegetable Prices Highlight Cost of Living Crisis in Laos

https://laotiantimes.com/2023/08/16/sky ... s-in-laos/

Laos' year-on-year inflation rate dropped to 27.8 % in July, from 28.64 % in June

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/laos-inflatio ... 265454.vnp

Currency depreciation is also a problem, falling from approx. 8,500 LAK to the USD 5 years ago to over 19,000 LAK now.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from ... AK&view=5Y
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Alex wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:34 am
BaltimoreJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:53 pm Here we go. Every thread here about prices or cost of living goes 10 pages minimum.

Yes, but how much is the fish in Baltimore these days?
I don’t know. I don’t eat fish. GONK and I had a pizza in Baltimore last month and used a $10 off coupon.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:33 pm On the bright side, at least they have stopped covering everything in fucking pomegranate seeds.
But they still did not stop to use the fake balsamic glue sprinkeled over everything.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

truffledog wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:25 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:33 pm On the bright side, at least they have stopped covering everything in fucking pomegranate seeds.
But they still did not stop to use the fake balsamic glue sprinkeled over everything.
Do you mean glassa balsamica?

It's lovely. Balsamic with cornflour, yummy!

I'll bring you some!

P.S. Dont forget all the fake Parma Ham.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

It seems like every week there's something in the news about another food-producing area getting hit by drought, flooding, or fire and wiping out crops, that's going to impact food prices. Higher fuel costs and things like the shipping pileup currently going on at the Panama Canal affect the supply chains which no doubt affects the price of goods on the shelf too. I get that, it makes sense.

But some of the price increases seem like excuses to price gouge to me - I have to pay for various business compliance costs, commercial insurance etc and they've all gone up a lot over the last few years. There's no goods being provided, nothing that depends on supply chains but apparantly if a liter of milk or petrol goes up in price, a useless certificate that proves you know about workplace safety needs to almost double in price to 'offset their costs'.
When every business gets these extra burdens they'll usually pass them on to the customer, making life harder for everyone.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Random Dude wrote:It seems like every week there's something in the news about another food-producing area getting hit by drought, flooding, or fire and wiping out crops, that's going to impact food prices. Higher fuel costs and things like the shipping pileup currently going on at the Panama Canal affect the supply chains which no doubt affects the price of goods on the shelf too. I get that, it makes sense.

But some of the price increases seem like excuses to price gouge to me - I have to pay for various business compliance costs, commercial insurance etc and they've all gone up a lot over the last few years. There's no goods being provided, nothing that depends on supply chains but apparantly if a liter of milk or petrol goes up in price, a useless certificate that proves you know about workplace safety needs to almost double in price to 'offset their costs'.
When every business gets these extra burdens they'll usually pass them on to the customer, making life harder for everyone.
So a business can choose to either pass the extra costs down, or eat the extra costs.

Eat too much of the extra costs, and the business ends up in the red, and then out of business, and shuts down.

So does a business closing down lower everyone’s burden as opposed to a business staying opening and increasing everyone’s burden?

I don’t understand the logic.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:44 am
Random Dude wrote:It seems like every week there's something in the news about another food-producing area getting hit by drought, flooding, or fire and wiping out crops, that's going to impact food prices. Higher fuel costs and things like the shipping pileup currently going on at the Panama Canal affect the supply chains which no doubt affects the price of goods on the shelf too. I get that, it makes sense.

So a business can choose to either pass the extra costs down, or eat the extra costs.

Eat too much of the extra costs, and the business ends up in the red, and then out of business, and shuts down.

So does a business closing down lower everyone’s burden as opposed to a business staying opening and increasing everyone’s burden?

I don’t understand the logic.
I call B.S. on that logic. These aren't mom and pop stores here, these are major conglomerates who's sole purpose is to maximize PROFITS at any cost. They are price gouging pure and simple.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

stevenjb wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:06 pm
newkidontheblock wrote:Restaurant food costs rose dramatically. Restaurants used to be 5-15 dollars/entree, now 20-40 dollars.

This is the US, Texas. Other places my vary.
The cost for eating in a restaurant in the US has gotten crazy high.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
My parents and I went out for Thai in rural US. Almost $100. (No alcohol or dessert.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic