Kitty Tesaphibal Bandit HM: "I do not support the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia"

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kitty Tesaphibal Bandit HM: "I do not support the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia"

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Dr. HM expresses his strong opposition to the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia

Dr. HM, the newly appointed Prime Minister of Cambodia, has stated his strong opposition to the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia.

In an excerpt posted on the official Facebook page on August 16, Kitti Tesaphibal Bandit HM said, “In the past, there was marijuana cultivation in Cambodia, I do not know which district. For me, I am absolutely against it, no matter how much it earns, but it is not profitable for the Cambodia people […]. We just do not allow and we seized and destroyed these crop many times in Takeo.”

It should be informed that in the past, there have been repeated requests from some investors to express their intention to grow marijuana in Cambodia under the pretext of being supplied to the health sector, but all those requests have been rejected by the Royal Government of Cambodia.

Although the Royal Government of Cambodia does not allow the cultivation of marijuana, some crooks have cultivated this type of crop and have been cracked down on by the authorities. Most of the locations that have been cracked down on in the past are in Takeo province.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Kitty Tesaphibal Bandit HM: "I do not support the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia"

Post by Freightdog »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:35 pm Dr. HM expresses his strong opposition to the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia

Dr. HM, the newly appointed Prime Minister of Cambodia, has stated his strong opposition to the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia.

In an excerpt posted on the official Facebook page on August 16, Kitti Tesaphibal Bandit HM said, “In the past, there was marijuana cultivation in Cambodia, I do not know which district. For me, I am absolutely against it, no matter how much it earns, but it is not profitable for the Cambodia people […]. We just do not allow and we seized and destroyed these crop many times in Takeo.”

It should be informed that in the past, there have been repeated requests from some investors to express their intention to grow marijuana in Cambodia under the pretext of being supplied to the health sector, but all those requests have been rejected by the Royal Government of Cambodia.

Although the Royal Government of Cambodia does not allow the cultivation of marijuana, some crooks have cultivated this type of crop and have been cracked down on by the authorities. Most of the locations that have been cracked down on in the past are in Takeo province.
Good for him. Out of the starting gate, bang the drum for the easy option of nil tolerance. Podium effect=maximum. Actual work done=minimum. All for a few stern words…
Turkeydinasaur
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Kitty Tesaphibal Bandit HM: "I do not support the cultivation of marijuana in Cambodia"

Post by Turkeydinasaur »

https://kiripost.com/stories/hun-manet- ... -marijuana

Another article here about it going into a bit more detail. Fair play being honest about the state of law enforcement. Cambodia isn't ready for all the border chaos that'd come with full legalisation, leave that for Thailand. Hands off my happy shakes though :tard:
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Really? He has no idea in which districts cannabis grows? That's weird. There are frequent news reports, such that even hoipolloi workers like me are aware of the current business realities and geographies of the industry. This is about money, not public health. Just like all that Chinese "tea" that seems to be such a money maker for certain parties. But yeah, watch out for the that deadly reefer. Priorities seem to be in order, yup.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Roryborealis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:13 am Really? He has no idea in which districts cannabis grows? That's weird. There are frequent news reports, such that even hoipolloi workers like me are aware of the current business realities and geographies of the industry. This is about money, not public health. Just like all that Chinese "tea" that seems to be such a money maker for certain parties. But yeah, watch out for the that deadly reefer. Priorities seem to be in order, yup.
Don't forget about letting the Taiwanese set up their Ketamine manufacturing factories around the country and allowing the massive amount of chemicals into the country to run these factories.
daiquiri
Expatriate
Germany

Post by daiquiri »

Not profitable? Is that joke?
Just came from Thailand... young as well as elders enjoy the pot freedom over there... tourism is back like corona never happened...

The thai indoor weed is low quality compared to western standards, still people are eager to pay up to 1000 baht for medium quality weed... the stoners get the munchies and order one snack and fruit shake after the other... the others just don't care because stoners don't bother anyone, really..

And I am just talking about the recreational scene here, there would be plenty of more money to be made with the medical industry, NOW is the time to save the market shares and gain market dominance, while all the other countries at least in SEA are still stupid enough to keep it illegal and lose all the money to the black market and to tourists who won't visit because nobody wants to go to a country and get in troubles for a bit of ganja...

lol
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He isn't interested in whether other countries benefit from it or not, it is clear from his statements that he is totally against it. Seems ominous.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic