The Pub

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

The Pub

Post by Gazzy »

Heard from the staff that The Pub on 174 will close in Oct due to lack of customers. This is a great shame. These pub-grub outlets are becoming few and far between now. We lost the Rising Sun a while back. Lone Star is still OK, as is Larry's. Front bar ain't bad. Harry's ain't what it was. Slim pickings.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Re: The Pub

Post by BaltimoreJack »

That's a shame. I didn't eat there much but I would occasionally stop in very late at night. There aren't any good late night non-hostess bars left where you can sit and talk to other drunks.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Closing due to lack of customers? Guess it's not going to be missed by many.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:50 pm That's a shame. I didn't eat there much but I would occasionally stop in very late at night. There aren't any good late night non-hostess bars left where you can sit and talk to other drunks.
Yea, It's a shame that the Garage Bar is being converted to a hairdressing saloon, but thats the way things go when you dont support a non- hostess bars.
Anyway, Srey Mom who once worked at the Candy bar will take over and still be around to do haircuts, Brazilians, cut your nails etc and sell bus tickets while the many motodops that hang around outside will be able to sell you your fav THC sticks. But dont expect to smoke them inside as there was a big problem scraping all the THC off the ceiling and walls after Clay left. I think not a problem though, just a short hop accross the road to Larry's and you can smoke outside.
Spoiler:
Oh it's true, It's bloody true.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gazzy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:43 pm These pub-grub outlets are becoming few and far between now.
I am guessing the clientele is changing. Less grizzled old farts that think an English breakfast is gourmet food and more younger people that prefer smashed avocado burgers and soymilk lattes.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

hanno wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm
Gazzy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:43 pm These pub-grub outlets are becoming few and far between now.
I am guessing the clientele is changing. Less grizzled old farts that think an English breakfast is gourmet food and more younger people that think smashed avocado burgers and soymilk lattes is gourmet food.
FTFY
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Stravaiger wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:17 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm
I am guessing the clientele is changing. Less grizzled old farts that think an English breakfast is gourmet food and more younger people that think smashed avocado burgers and soymilk lattes is gourmet food.
FTFY
I like what you did there :lol:
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:12 pm

Yea, It's a shame that the Garage Bar is being converted to a hairdressing saloon, but thats the way things go when you dont support a non- hostess bars.
Let me get this straight.

Tootsfriend says Clay is the best manager he ever had at Garage Bar, which presumably means Clay developed a loyal clientele and efficiently ran the bar.

Despite this, Tootsfriend removed Clay as manager, kicked him out of his apartment with no notice, and replaced Clay with a couple of teenage girls so that they could put on their CVs that they ran a bar for a few months.

The longstanding bar predictably goes under after a few months, and Tootsfriend blames this not on his own bad decisions, but instead blames it on the evil hostess bars and people not supporting non-hostess bars.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Freebirdzz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:11 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:12 pm

Let me get this straight.

Tootsfriend says Clay is the best manager he ever had at Garage Bar, which presumably means Clay developed a loyal clientele and efficiently ran the bar.

Despite this, Tootsfriend removed Clay as manager, kicked him out of his apartment with no notice, and replaced Clay with a couple of teenage girls so that they could put on their CVs that they ran a bar for a few months.

The longstanding bar predictably goes under after a few months, and Tootsfriend blames this not on his own bad decisions, but instead blames it on the evil hostess bars and people not supporting non-hostess bars.
As with many things on this and TOF, people talk a lot of shit they know nothing about.
e709
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by e709 »

Another nail in the coffin for Phnom Penh: Martinis gone, Walkabout gone, Sharkeys destroyed, Golden Sorya Mall gone. The streets of the city dirty and smelly, homeless on the streets, not many good food places, many expats moved on and the greenest place in the city you need to pay $1 to see trees (Wat Phnom)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic