Hostess Bars

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Hostess Bars

Post by Tootsfriend »

Watch out, you could be next on the list.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501343546/ ... -sex-dens/
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Hostess Bars

Post by ItWasntMe »

Huh who's on what list and why?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Seeing that the article is about "sex dens" masquerading as "cafés"... that's what I like about Starbucks, you never need to worry that you've actually entered a brothel by accident.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

He also said that most of the cafes are run by long-term residents which makes it difficult for the police to take action against them.
So, if you are a long-term resident, that gets you a get-out-of-jail card. Only in the KoW....
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Alex wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:08 am Seeing that the article is about "sex dens" masquerading as "cafés"... that's what I like about Starbucks, you never need to worry that you've actually entered a brothel by accident.
True dat, when I want a non brothel experience I always choose Starbucks.

Now there is a commercial waiting to happen :)
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Methinks OP is trying to drum up business for Garage by scaring customers away from hostess bars.

Yes, I know Garage is shuttered but probably the grand reopening is approaching.
Last edited by armchairlawyer on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

You can spot them from a mile away, fold out chairs and a tv, usually with red or purple ambient lighting.

Sometimes they're drink shops during the day, once 8 or 9pm comes around the fold out chairs come out.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Alex wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:08 am Seeing that the article is about "sex dens" masquerading as "cafés"... that's what I like about Starbucks, you never need to worry that you've actually entered a brothel by accident.
This is clearly targeting the local brothel-that-looks-like-a-tv-lounge coffeeshops as one sees along Veng Seng st and near the stung meanchey flyover and the port area among many others - the ones with TV's, sun loungers and teenage thots hanging around the doorways - rather than hostess bars
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:02 am Methinks OP is trying to drum up business for Garage by scaring customers away from hostess bars.

Yes, I know Garage is shuttered but probably the grand reopening is approaching.
As a hair dressing saloon I believe. The customers are way more prettier and easier to deal with , so I am told.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:43 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:02 am Methinks OP is trying to drum up business for Garage by scaring customers away from hostess bars.

As a hair dressing saloon I believe. The customers are way more prettier and easier to deal with , so I am told.
So Garage is no more. End of an era.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic