Your speaking khmer attempts

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Your speaking khmer attempts

Post by prahkeitouj »

Aing mean , you yourself... Depend on the context.
Eg: Jamie: where will we go?
Samouth: srej tei Jamie aing ! ( it's up to you)
Last edited by prahkeitouj on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: RE: Re: Your speaking khmer attempts

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
nice thanks,

is the aing to do with addressing someone older?
No, for younger or close friends.
I think aing also mean yourself. For example, klun aing: yourself.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:Aing mean , you yourself... Depend on the context.
If he could say that, oh gosh, many girls would throwing themselves into him as it is really cool to say and it is really how local speak khmer. :lol:

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Your speaking khmer attempts

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
nice thanks,

is the aing to do with addressing someone older?
No, for younger or close friends.
I think aing also mean yourself. For example, klun aing: yourself.
Yes, aing here means you ( name+ aing, the one we talk to) or means yourself.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Aing mean , you yourself... Depend on the context.
If he could say that, oh gosh, many girls would throwing themselves into him as it is really cool to say and it is really how local speak khmer. :lol:
yes haha i must learn this phrase, i know it is very common, Samouth if you could could you send me a sound clip over facebook of this phrase so i can hear how it sound? Muchas Gracias Amigo!!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

also must "Srej Tei [Name] Aing" must be used with a name or would "Srej Tei Aing" be sufficient? or maybe "Srej Tei Oun/Bong Aing" ??
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Your speaking khmer attempts

Post by prahkeitouj »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:also must "Srej Tei [Name] Aing" must be used with a name or would "Srej Tei Aing" be sufficient? or maybe "Srej Tei Oun/Bong Aing" ??
Same. :-)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:also must "Srej Tei [Name] Aing" must be used with a name or would "Srej Tei Aing" be sufficient? or maybe "Srej Tei Oun/Bong Aing" ??
Yes it is good to put the name. For example the girl you are hanging out named Bopha.

Bopha: Bong Jamie tov na yub nis?

Jamie: Srej tei bopha aing or srej tei Klun aing ( this one is really cool to say and make you feel close with each other) the detail will be in the sound clip. I will have a thread about meaning of Cambodian name. Only girl name will be allowed to post on that thread lol

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Yes it is good to put the name. For example the girl you are hanging out named Bopha.

Jamie: Srej tei bopha aing or srej tei Klun aing ( this one is really cool to say and make you feel close with each other) the detail will be in the sound clip. I will have a thread about meaning of Cambodian name. Only girl name will be allowed to post on that thread lol
ok cool, "yub nis" what this part mean? i dont have these words in my notes, i know "tov" = go & "na" = where... so i know you are basically saying "jamie where you want to go?" but i dont have the yub nis in my notes/dictionary, could you explain these words please (as i have seen these words before, so now a good time to ask)

also the word Klun, i am interested in this word :P
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:

ok cool, "yub nis" what this part mean? i dont have these words in my notes, i know "tov" = go & "na" = where so i know you are basically saying "jamie where you want to go?" but i dont have the yub nis in my notes/dictionary, could you explain these words please

also the word Klun, i am interested in this word :P
Yup nis means tonite, can also say yup neng.
Kloun eng means by yourself, kloun means self.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic