Looking for a new town to move to!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Turkeydinasaur
Tourist
Great Britain

Looking for a new town to move to!

Post by Turkeydinasaur »

Hey all,

Looking for somewhere new for a semi-permanent move to Cambodia. I'm early 30's from the UK and taking a few years out to chill/build a new life.

I've just spent about 3-4 months in Kampot and Siem Reap to make sure before coming back to the UK and yep, I'm coming back in a month or two.

Kampot is great but found it to be more expensive than Siem Reap in some cases, awesome vibe though. Visited Battambang too for New Year and I'd be interested to hear from any westerners who are long term there about what that's like?

I've been to Koh Rong and Sihanoukville but not for about 9 years as I was pointed to Kampot instead and asking about it sounded like the right decision!

I'm looking to start a business of some kind, but have the savings for a year or two in the meantime.

Putting the feelers out to see if there's any towns I'm missing out on?

I'm fairly laid back and planning to learn Khmer if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Looking for a new town to move to!

Post by John Bingham »

Phnom Penh.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Turkeydinasaur
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Turkeydinasaur »

I've not actually spent more than a couple of days in phnom penh :roll:

It always seems like a bit too much chaos for me, I feel like it's the kind of place that would suck me in and 2 years would go by in a haze without having achieved much! As fun as that is, I'm looking for a bit more chill this time, maybe I'm missing something? Also the cost factor, is it not a bit expensive comparatively?

I like to be close enough to nature that I can whip the ped out and go for a ride round somewhere open to blow the cobwebs off fairly frequently too.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

There is no secret place. Just travel the unknown areas and have a frist hand impression. Jump into the adventure and stay where it feels good for YOU. We all are so different that a place suiting me does not mean it does to you.

You visited KOW already so you got a first impression of the differences of PP, SR, Battambang, Kampot, SHV, Koh Rong. No place is perfect.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

truffledog wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:22 pm There is no secret place. Just travel the unknown areas and have a frist hand impression. Jump into the adventure and stay where it feels good for YOU. We all are so different that a place suiting me does not mean it does to you.

You visited KOW already so you got a first impression of the differences of PP, SR, Battambang, Kampot, SHV, Koh Rong. No place is perfect.

People that live in those places will probably tell you that each one of those towns/ provinces, they are the perfect places to live in.

The problem is , you, we, I , are not the perfect human to live in them.
Turkeydinasaur
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Turkeydinasaur »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:29 pm
truffledog wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:22 pm There is no secret place. Just travel the unknown areas and have a frist hand impression. Jump into the adventure and stay where it feels good for YOU. We all are so different that a place suiting me does not mean it does to you.

These are fair points!
To narrow it down a bit... Where do you long termers see as the best town to set up shop in, as in the place that you reckon will be the most up and coming in the next few years to start a shop/bar/something of the like?

People that live in those places will probably tell you that each one of those towns/ provinces, they are the perfect places to live in.

The problem is , you, we, I , are not the perfect human to live in them.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what kind of shop?
Kep is growing, but its aimed at the local Khmer tourists not really the expat
they have a 5 year plan ( LOL)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Turkeydinasaur
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Turkeydinasaur »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:22 pm what kind of shop?
Kep is growing, but its aimed at the local Khmer tourists not really the expat
they have a 5 year plan ( LOL)
I'd have to scope out the area and see what the craic is to know what I'd set up to be honest, I'm pretty flexible. Kep might be a good shout, when they finish the road there I imagine the place is going to see a wee boom in business. There ain't a lot going on there at the minute that's for sure!
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

I really like Kampong Cham. It's a quiet town along the Mekong river with a nice countryside and some places to visit around. In the evening, the clean riverside starts to be dynamic with many families coming to eat and enjoy the ambiance. Not as touristic as are Kampot or Battambang. Close to PP if you want/need to go to the capital.
The problem maybe for you, depending what kind of business you plan to open, is that there's not many expats in town.

You can have a look to Sen Monorom (Mondulkiri) too.
Turkeydinasaur
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Turkeydinasaur »

barang_TK wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:41 pm I really like Kampong Cham. It's a quiet town along the Mekong river with a nice countryside and some places to visit around. In the evening, the clean riverside starts to be dynamic with many families coming to eat and enjoy the ambiance. Not as touristic as are Kampot or Battambang. Close to PP if you want/need to go to the capital.
The problem maybe for you, depending what kind of business you plan to open, is that there's not many expats in town.

You can have a look to Sen Monorom (Mondulkiri) too.
Thanks gonna check these out, Kampong Cham looks like a nice spot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic