Ministry Issues for Khmer ID

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Phnom Pen Company
Expatriate
United States of America

Ministry Issues for Khmer ID

Post by Phnom Pen Company »

Howdy yall,

I've been with my wife for over 6 years. We have a kid. Her name was spelled one way on her passport and ID when our kid was born. When she got her ID renewed around Covid time, they added an extra letter to her English name. We've been trying to get this corrected but she is being sent back and forth from Aeon to one ministry, to the next, then to her home sankgat, and then to another ministry, then to Aeon. Simply showing her expired Khmer passport/ID to the appropriate offices was not good enough because her Khmer birth cert has no English spelling. This is causing a problem with my son's citizenship, her visa for moving back, and we've been stuck in the pipeline of bureaucracy for years now. Even her college degree (from Norton) is spelled with the old spelling, which is now being brought up as something that needs to be fixed. They are wanting us to have everything redone and it is just frustrating to say the least.

Has anyone else had an issue with something like this? I called the US Embassy and explained the situation, they said they could review everything but with that one extra letter added to her national ID, they cannot make any promises.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ministry Issues for Khmer ID

Post by Kammekor »

The department of identification can make these changes, but since there's no Latin name in Latin script on the birth certificate things might be difficult.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:16 pm The department of identification can make these changes, but since there's no Latin name in Latin script on the birth certificate things might be difficult.
I might have thought that the/a ministry of whatever might at least be able to sign a letter* stating that the person on ID-card-expired, is in fact the same person on ID-card-current, duly stamped and signed. Then an approved translation provided to accompany it.

*to save them the bother of breaking away from their very important bowl of noodles, it might even be drafted for them?

For what it’s worth, my ex-, with all of her passport and ID irregularities, and several failed U.S. visa applications, from a muzzie country with dubious ideas, managed to get a U.S. Visa. I even know of a couple of similar characters who’ve been living under assumed names in the states for decades. So being legit must still be possible.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:33 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:16 pm The department of identification can make these changes, but since there's no Latin name in Latin script on the birth certificate things might be difficult.
I might have thought that the/a ministry of whatever might at least be able to sign a letter* stating that the person on ID-card-expired, is in fact the same person on ID-card-current, duly stamped and signed. Then an approved translation provided to accompany it.

*to save them the bother of breaking away from their very important bowl of noodles, it might even be drafted for them?

For what it’s worth, my ex-, with all of her passport and ID irregularities, and several failed U.S. visa applications, from a muzzie country with dubious ideas, managed to get a U.S. Visa. I even know of a couple of similar characters who’ve been living under assumed names in the states for decades. So being legit must still be possible.
First, call on the correct government body.
OZTT
Tourist
Australia

Post by OZTT »

Yeah absolutely hopeless these guys.

I am the reverse scenario.
Born Cambodian but fled during the war to Australia. I come back as I married a local khmer girl.
I visited my parents old province and met some aunties. Found out I could get a birth certificate (which I did) and also Residency Book. Applied for the ID CARD.
After 3 mths of waiting the ID card comes with wrong english spelling, even though they had the correct spelling on the Birth Cert, Resident Book and ID Card appl. form from the police.

I have a feeling the police chief was the cause of the typo on purpose because a week after I did everything with them my Auntie rings me up to say the police can get the ID card done by the following week for $$$ Anyways, I declined the offer as I was not in a hurry and would a hassle to get back to the countryside.

I have resorted to living with my name being mispelt in Cambodia as I do not want to visit the police again to get them to fix this issue.
Only the Police who authorised the Card can have it amended
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic