Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Laotiangirl
Tourist
Laos

Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Post by Laotiangirl »

I am aware of the fact that Thailand attracts far more international tourists compared to Cambodia. 10x the tourists you're going to have 10x the issues. But I think culture also plays a huge role.Then there's the fact that the Thais have their own tourist police. Let me explain events I observed in Thailand:

Drunken foreign idiot in Thailand picks a fight in a bar. He gets the crap kicked out of him. He reports it to the tourist police. Words are said, and the police side with the Thais. I am sure this stuff happens in Cambodia as well but I think this type of violent attacks towards tourists happens far more often in Thailand and Cambodia. I've seen this violence happen in Thailand on a regular basis whereas this type of aggression is not as common as Thailand in Cambodia.

I think this is a cultural thing. This is based on my personal experiences anyway.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Post by Username Taken »

Obviously, Cambodia attracts a better class of tourist than Thailand.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Post by armchairlawyer »

Laotiangirl wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:40 am I am aware of the fact that Thailand attracts far more international tourists compared to Cambodia. 10x the tourists you're going to have 10x the issues. But I think culture also plays a huge role.Then there's the fact that the Thais have their own tourist police. Let me explain events I observed in Thailand:

Drunken foreign idiot in Thailand picks a fight in a bar. He gets the crap kicked out of him. He reports it to the tourist police. Words are said, and the police side with the Thais. I am sure this stuff happens in Cambodia as well but I think this type of violent attacks towards tourists happens far more often in Thailand and Cambodia. I've seen this violence happen in Thailand on a regular basis whereas this type of aggression is not as common as Thailand in Cambodia.

I think this is a cultural thing. This is based on my personal experiences anyway.
I have never seen it in either country. and I've been in a few bars. I have seen a few cases where a Western prick deserved to get a good kicking and the locals were incredibly patient and kind with him.

In both countries, people are very slow to anger (but if sufficiently provoked will flip) compared to any western country. Locals also are especially reluctant to attack a barang/falang because they know it is a bigger deal. Foreigners are far more likely to be robbed in Cambodia than in Thailand, but that would be a street thing, not in a bar.

Sorry but I think you have eother been very unlucky or you're going to the worst kind of bars.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

OP; are u referring to this type of tourist? ( Chinese)
https://assets.aseannow.com/forum/uploa ... 80886f.mp4

to an extent i would say there are some incidents where thai bouncers in clubs have fights with tourists<
seems to happen more in Pattaya than elsewhere

this week in Pattaya ,british father and son
https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mo ... 022386.mp4

Its NOT that the tourist police side with the thai's cause their thais, but usually it is the tourist that fucked up, ( refuses to pay bills is the most common)

Seldom read about it in Cambodia, but also i dont think bars in Cambodia employ bouncers , ( not that I know of)
FYI:
I think there more bars in Pattaya than all of Cambodia where tourists visit
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Traditionally Thailand would attract most thugs looking for sex and booze plus most of the first time travelers. I could easily see why this crowd would get into more trouble vs lets say the more old school draft crew of Cambodia.

The Thai people to me always came off as a bit more passionate as well.

But whether there actually is a measurable difference I leave for the experts to decide.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:14 am
Seldom read about it in Cambodia, but also i dont think bars in Cambodia employ bouncers , ( not that I know of)
The bars don't but the big clubs do. Again, they tend to be incredibly restrained in the face of prickish behaviour from westerners.
Bars will probably get the assistance of tuk-tuk drivers from outside if they need it. I've never seen it happen.

The other relevant thing is the time you are drinking. Things can get funky after 3am. Maybe that is what the OP has been doing wrong, although in Thailand I believe the bars are supposed to close by that time. I guess many do not if they have customers.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

A majority of western tourists visit Thailand for bar girls and ladyboys, a majority of western tourists visit Cambodia for it's rich history

Thailand feels like it treats it's history as a Disney land attraction, Cambodia actually has knowledgeable guides (even Khmer tuktuk drivers know more history than the common Thai government guide)
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Laotiangirl wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:40 am I am aware of the fact that Thailand attracts far more international tourists compared to Cambodia. 10x the tourists you're going to have 10x the issues. But I think culture also plays a huge role.Then there's the fact that the Thais have their own tourist police. Let me explain events I observed in Thailand:

The statistics do not support your hypothesis - well at least these stats dont:
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_ran ... region=035
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Darkcel wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:19 am A majority of western tourists visit Thailand for bar girls and ladyboys, a majority of western tourists visit Cambodia for it's rich history

Thailand feels like it treats it's history as a Disney land attraction, Cambodia actually has knowledgeable guides (even Khmer tuktuk drivers know more history than the common Thai government guide)
sorry, but ur way off, ur saying that 20 million of the 40 million tourist's in 2019 came for the bars/ladies :facepalm:

How many wats, temples have you been to in Thailand?
stats are for CRIME> not really applicable to the OP
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:00 am
Darkcel wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:19 am A majority of western tourists visit Thailand for bar girls and ladyboys, a majority of western tourists visit Cambodia for it's rich history

sorry, but ur way off, ur saying that 20 million of the 40 million tourist's in 2019 came for the bars/ladies :facepalm:

How many wats, temples have you been to in Thailand?
stats are for CRIME> not really applicable to the OP
That's crazy... Well anyway

"It is said, though these statistics are difficult to confirm, that 60% of visitors are male – with 70% of these males being sex tourists."
https://tourismteacher.com/sex-tourism- ... e-and-why/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic