Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Thailand has had the barang bullshit for much longer than the Khmer..

The amount of times I've told a Khmer that I have a child, and then they ask if his mother is Khmer is unreal. I say yes, and their face drops.

Sometimes I'll try to back it up by saying that in London, 50% of the population is foreign, but it goes nowhere.

People everywhere are sick of outsiders coming to fuck their women, take their jobs and piss in their streets.
sumfin smart
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why do many physical violent attacks on tourists happen much more often in Thailand compared to Cambodia?

Post by John Bingham »

I was in northern Thailand and Laos for a few months way back. I was in Bangkok on Xmas day and we were very drunk. Anyway I'm walking down Ram Buttri and these three local guys are hanging on the corner. One of them grabbed my friend's hat off his head. I said "What the fuck?" and grabbed it back and wander on a bit. Then I notice two of them are running after us, one with a bottle. I got to my hotel and they caught up with us. "Say solly" says one, and I did just to save any hassle. He punched me in the head wearing a ring and sliced my eyebrow open. I was bleeding all over the place. The guy with the bottle chased my friend upstairs but he managed to escape. I got another guy I knew, an ex-nurse, to patch up my eyebrow with steri-strips. Meanwhile some cops and paramedics turned up but I told them I was okay and not to bother. I flew to Cambodia for the first time a couple of days later with a black eye wearing wraparounds to try to look normal and kept walking into doors etc.
Anyway, I didn't provoke the attack, other than saying "fuck" which Thais seem to get very offended by. In 18 years in Cambodia I've never had anything like that happen.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Lived in both countries, never had any problems in Cambodia. In Thailand on two occasions some drunk locals wanted to pick up a fight for nothing Best way is to leave the place, you cant argue or explain drunk Thai man nothing.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Chuck Borris wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:54 pm Best way is to leave the place, you cant argue or explain drunk Thai man nothing.
Well drunk Cambodians are much the same. The only times I've seen Cambodians fighting they were really crap, swinging arms around like windmills and throwing cutlery at each other. Handy enough with meat cleavers though.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Been my policy over here for years to not drink alcohol with male Thais or Khmer. Really no upside to it.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Cooldude wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:49 pm Been my policy over here for years to not drink alcohol with male Thais or Khmer. Really no upside to it.
My experience has been there’s much more downside to drinking with TEFLers than Khmers.

Surely others drink with Khmer coworkers and in-laws without issue? I’m looking forward to having a few too many with my in-laws next week when I arrive.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I've never had co workers or in laws over here. I'm talking about a group of strangers who have already been drinking seeing you and calling you over to drink with them.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cooldude wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:12 pm I've never had co workers or in laws over here. I'm talking about a group of strangers who have already been drinking seeing you and calling you over to drink with them.
Yes, I used to join with these generous local drinkers but not anymore. Too many "jool moys" and then some start getting really stupid and annoying after a few cans.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I had one get violent in Phnom Penh several years ago and that's when I stopped even being around any drunk males. I wasn't even drinking with these guys. They were at adjacent tables and showed up there after I'd already been there for awhile. Young 19-21 year old Khmer boys. Can be really bad news when they've had too many.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s always the vile drunk kicking about among other drunks, who can’t manage to just get drunk without getting nasty. Actually, they have difficulty having just a drink without then having sufficient to get drunk. My brother is one. Hard drinker, and unpleasant before the second has followed the first. Preferred liquid is wife beater, then anything that costs less.

Here in Cambodia, SWMBO’s family have a neighbour who is so similar, except she may once have been breeding material. Hopefully, it’s all dried up, now. But all the hallmarks are there of a nasty drunk- I haven’t a clue what she’s saying, and mostly people just tolerate her. Rolling their eyes. But you can detect the edge in her voice, the crappy mannerisms, despite the language barrier. And the coward in her comes out, because she directs whatever pent up resentment at the kids, instead. Yet she’s clearly sufficiently aware of what’s going on in the early stages of an evening, because if you place yourself between her and the kid, you can pretty much see the hackles rise. But she’s not my neighbour.

That aside, I can manage to sit down and drink with several of the locals both here or in the province, and just let the world drift by. The idiots have been mostly weeded out. But I’ve also encountered a few of the nastier types around Phnom Penh. But I’m sure their preferred escape is drugs, first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic