Bag Snatching/Phone Snatching/Pickpots in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Bag Snatching/Phone Snatching/Pickpots in Phnom Penh

Post by Matty9999 »

Is this still bad around the center, near Riverside, Central Market, and Street 110 at present time?

The main thing is I heard they mostly target women, so theyd probably be too afraid to target someone like me.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Bag Snatching/Phone Snatching/Pickpots in Phnom Penh

Post by hanno »

Wrong. They'll target anyone and I guess that on 110 Street it would be mostly men, for obvious reasons.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Never had any snatch-problem in PP, even on street 110 at 2 am and drunk. Just dont give them the opportunity, i never carry a bag, just some cash, a expired khmer DL and a phone all in my shorts. I heard about ot a couple of times, and always woman. At night time if you come from airport, take taxi, not a tuktuk. PP is as save as most big south-european citys.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Matty9999 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:38 pm Is this still bad around the center, near Riverside, Central Market, and Street 110 at present time?

The main thing is I heard they mostly target women, so theyd probably be too afraid to target someone like me.
They can"t snatch your phone if is it in the pocket.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:14 pm At night time if you come from airport, take taxi, not a tuktuk.
Please explain. Until recently I arrived countless times in PP at nighttime (unfortunately now the nonstop Jakarta connection got discontinued) always took a TukTuk (Bajaj type). Before entering that thing I make sure, that they ask just the ordinary rip off price ($5 that get you anywhere in the city)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

there are also taxis at the airport, slightly more expensive. Or even better, if you have a khmer sim-card, order a pass-app car or SUV. Sometimes a bit tricky to find the driver at the airport, best place is at the exit where they have to pay the parking. There are often robberies between airport and riverside on russian boukevard at night time, better pay 5 dollar extra and being in a car and not in a tuktuk !! The bad guys all know if you enter the country you have money with you, if you leave useally not !!
Agnes5431
Tourist
Poland

Post by Agnes5431 »

Today, some idiots on scooter attempted to snatch my phone while i was checking the directions. Fortunately, I managed no to let them so they drove away. It was on 110 street near the market around 11PM. Please be carefull and keep your belongings hidden. If they had managed to rob me, I wouldn’t have any passport of wallet right now so that was my lucky day.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Its the same in most cities, obvious rule is don't display anything that would/could be snatched. Its absolutely rife in London.
phlezk
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by phlezk »

Noted. Thanks.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

ressl wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:13 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:14 pm At night time if you come from airport, take taxi, not a tuktuk.
Please explain. Until recently I arrived countless times in PP at nighttime (unfortunately now the nonstop Jakarta connection got discontinued) always took a TukTuk (Bajaj type). Before entering that thing I make sure, that they ask just the ordinary rip off price ($5 that get you anywhere in the city)
I thought AirAsia had a nonstop service to Jakarta a few times a week?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic