Fishmarket Kampot is closing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fishmarket Kampot is closing

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:53 am So it's true and materializing, excellent news. Now that Kampot will get a Starbucks, I can finally consider moving there. :Yahoo!:
I was hoping for Brown Coffee shop, but Starbucks will do, that location is ideal.
Boredom is like a shroud
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

There's a building being renovated on the riverside right now 100 meters from the fish market that is going to be a Brown Coffee Shop.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Unfortunately I don't think it will fail either. You can probably tell I am not a fan.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

I bought a 1/2kg of B coffee yesterday not far from all this they sell A, B & C supposedly Vietnam Loas and Cambodia the B & C are $2.75 for the 1/2kg of ground coffee (I think the A was $3.75) and that lasts me about a month at 3 cups of plain black before breakfast daily...on the same street 75c for a nice cup of the same in a restaurant...at the bottom of said street is where this browns is going to be

I buy the 1/2kg instead of the 1KG as it fits into a storage jar I have..I buy a different "letter" each time just for variety I cant really tell any taste difference!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

one_dolla wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:25 am 3 cups of plain black before breakfast daily...

Always surprises me how much coffee people drink. I'm above average consumption for me if I have over three cups in three months

But you're right - coffee is a very profitable racket. Once upon a time I sold $2.5 cafeteries and it worked out so made $220 pure profit from every 1kg of SHIT Vietnam coffee that I sold
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:44 am
one_dolla wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:25 am 3 cups of plain black before breakfast daily...

Always surprises me how much coffee people drink. I'm above average consumption for me if I have over three cups in three months

But you're right - coffee is a very profitable racket. Once upon a time I sold $2.5 cafeteries and it worked out so made $220 pure profit from every 1kg of SHIT Vietnam coffee that I sold
latest medical studies are claiming 4 cups daily are a good way of preventing heart disease... clearly not a coffee loaded with sugar and other stuff.blacks the best way to drink for health the chlorogenic acid is apparently very good for us...thats not why I drink the 3 as above its just how much water I put in my french press...and it gets me through reading the news then a couple of forums about here
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

one_dolla wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:10 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:44 am

latest medical studies are claiming 4 cups daily are a good way of preventing heart disease... clearly not a coffee loaded with sugar and other stuff.blacks the best way to drink for health the chlorogenic acid is apparently very good for us...thats not why I drink the 3 as above its just how much water I put in my french press...and it gets me through reading the news then a couple of forums about here
Yeah, black coffee is great to start your day.
Boredom is like a shroud
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its official; sign is up:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Flexxman wrote:Starbucks is also an international chain with an opaque mix of licensees, joint-ventures and owned locations. Has been under investigation by tax authorities worldwide, eg secret arrangements with the Dutch government, crackdown in the UK after it came to light that they had not paid any tax for years, NTS of South Korea investigating. Payment of high IP related fees to transfer profits around the world in order to pay the least in some tax-haven.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/biz/20 ... 90673.html

That enables creative bean-counters to set up loss-leading locations that get 'paid' with untaxed profits made elsewhere. Picture is a Lamborghini Urus parked in front of Kampot's market (I wanted to use a pic once made of a cavalcade of Mercedes G63s and Lexus LX570s parked in front of Fish Market restaurant but could not locate it).

Starbucks is a publicly traded company with shares anyone can buy. I’m sure if all their shareholders demanded the company pay more taxes and made no profit it would be forced to. Or better yet, if you could buy 50.1% of the shares, you could force it to.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Starbucks is a publicly traded company with shares anyone can buy. I’m sure if all their shareholders demanded the company pay more taxes and made no profit it would be forced to. Or better yet, if you could buy 50.1% of the shares, you could force it to.
Wow, this will be the umpteenth time I see you make uninformed statements on here. Please have a read about transfer pricing practices, royalty payments, interest expenses and other tax avoidance instruments deployed in the UK as researched by the University of North Dakota. Starbucks does this on a global basis with their divisisons. That is why I inserted the link to the investigation by the Korean NTS on similar practices over there. Company owned and licensed is around 50/50.

Starbucks - coffee for people who don't really like coffee.

https://commons.und.edu/man-fac/1/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5115300130
https://tpguidelines.com/korea-tax-auth ... fee-beans/
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tr ... ricing.asp
https://businessquant.com/starbucks-lic ... ned-stores
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic