Fishmarket Kampot is closing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fishmarket Kampot is closing

Post by ash333 »

It's not the cheapest, but that's not really what they do. I've never seen it busy though. That's probably part of what makes it a lovely spot for a sunset drink.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

I sense a brutal murder spree on the horizon...
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Alex wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:00 pm Come on now Hanno, it's about time that Kampot gets a Starbucks, and it will be a great place to get away from the local 50-cent-beer-for-lunch expat crowd.

I predict that some of Kampot's cutest and poshest will hang out there.
50 cent Kampot beer crowd don't go to the Starbucks.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Starbucks?

Fuxken hell.

Park Cafe in Kampot only opened last year and had no business so it closed its purpose built location early this year

I give Kampot Starbucks 1 year from opening to shuttered
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:10 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:37 pm
Personally, I never thought the food was all that good, but the location is great. Apparently, Starbucks is moving in, which is an abomination.
Just curious... What's your source regarding Starbucks moving in?

I agree that it's not a good thing but it sure beats what Rick proposes below (McDonald's/IHOP).

Another historic building near there on the River Road is apparently being developed as a Brown Coffee branch, so some sort of Coffee Wars may ensue.

Anyway, I guess the whole town will eventually become globalised in the not-too-distant future. C'est la vie... :ugeek:
Apparently, the Starbucks people were there a few days ago, doing a survey.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Swipe your credit-card for a 10$ sugarbomb at Starbucks and then off to the market and haggle over 1000 reil with the locals. Sounds about right.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

heard its going to be a new freedom bar
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:45 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:27 pm somehow i dont think $5 coffees and Frappuccino will sell to the kampot crowd
BUT would be a great spot for a MacDonalds or IHOP :beer3:
Kampot's full of young idiots (not leaving out the old heaven's waiting room patients, they're there also).

But who wants a mocha frappachino latte on the rocks?!
Young idiots.

Either that or they want a caramel machiato. Leave them to it.

Stick a Maccy D's in kep Ricky
My impression was that Kampot is filled with sour old farts, but I may be a young idiot. Still, no frappucino, thanks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:31 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:27 pm somehow i dont think $5 coffees and Frappuccino will sell to the kampot crowd
BUT would be a great spot for a MacDonalds or IHOP :beer3:
Isn't McDonald's quite a ridiculous suggestion, considering that not even Phnom Penh has one yet? The same could be said about IHOP.

Starbucks on the other hand seems to be doing well in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville. If they think there's enough demand in Kampot, I trust them to know their shit.
BUT one can dream :-) :beer3:
Nothing beats an IHOP, 24 hour breakfast, am surprised there are none in SE aisa , while Singapore has Dennys, ( another chain i think would do well in SE Asia) , but nowhere else>

there's more than a few places that serve a good cup of coffee an lots of places do the ice coffee + other iced drinks for around $1-$1.50

as to ...."If they think there's enough demand in Kampot, I trust them to know their shit." ur joking right?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Gloria Jean's Coffee is opening a coffee shop in Kep (near the original beach where the huge trees used to be-near the old mansion)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic