Cambodia Demands Public Apology from Uncle Roger for Food Video

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Demands Public Apology from Uncle Roger for Food Video

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Oh dear, this is clearly supposed to be humor.

Cambodia Demands Public Apology from Uncle Roger
AKP Phnom Penh, August 08, 2023 --

The Ministry of Tourism of Cambodia has expressed its disappointment and demanded a public apology from Mr. Nigel Ng or Uncle Roger for wrongly evaluating Cambodian food on social media, YouTube Channel named Nigel Ng, published on July 30, 2023, entitled "Uncle Roger Make Adobo".

“In this regard, the Ministry of Tourism is working closely with relevant stakeholders and requests Mr. Nigel Ng or Uncle Roger, born on 15th March 1991, to make a public apology to the Cambodian people and immediately edit the posted video on its social media channel,” said the ministry in a statement dated Aug. 7.

According to the statement, the assessment of Mr. Nigel Ng completely deviates from the reality of the prestige and identity of Khmer food, especially has seriously affected Cambodian food tourism, which the Royal Government of Cambodia, as well as the Ministry of Tourism, has strived to promote on the international stage to be widely recognised that "Cambodia has a Beautiful Culture and Unique Taste of its Cuisine". As a result, in 2022, the Khmer cookbook named "Taste of Angkor" compiled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia won The Best Asian Cookbook Prize at The Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2021 in Paris.

The Ministry of Tourism took the opportunity to thank the public for their contribution to the promotion of Cambodia's tourism, as well as the constant support and warmly welcome all social media players or influencers who wish to participate in promoting the wonders of Cambodian Culture, Nature and diversity of Cambodian Food to the world.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/283811

"Uncle Roger" or Nigel Ng does his show on social media. This is the famous "Uncle Roger Make Adobo", so judge for yourself.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia Demands Public Apology from Uncle Roger for Food Video

Post by down_time »

This guy seems very Marmite.

Here is the offending video, 3.40 for his comment on Cambodian and Laotian food. Queue the typical Cambodian Nationalist range for a fairly innocuous throwaway comment from a Comedian.

Good topic for discussion though, I have a deep affection for Cambodia but I do think your average Cambodian cuisine is very basic, usually boiled white rice with some fried pork or beef and raw or fried veg. There is some great contemporary Cambodian cuisine but it's hardly common imo. Much of the tourist fair apparently has roots in other countries, Amok for example apparently hails from Vietnam (although I admittedly haven't looked into it too deeply, don't cancel me :shock: ). And I have never seen a Khmer family cook Amok at home.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Shock value. He has in down to a fine art. The more complaints there are, the more hits he gets:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

How do you say "Streisand effect" in Khmer?
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/streisand-effect
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Once again proving that comedy doesn't bode well with these people
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

down_time wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:50 pm Amok for example apparently hails from Vietnam (although I admittedly haven't looked into it too deeply, don't cancel me :shock: ). And I have never seen a Khmer family cook Amok at home.
I don't believe it is Vietnamese, although it's possible they make it in the delta area. I've had it cooked in a Khmer family home, but it's only made for special occasions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Haiyaa!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Never quite worked out how, so long as you have an Asian looking face, you can pretty much capitalise on every Asian stereotype under the sun, call it 'comedy', make a shit ton of money and get away with it, by mere virtue of looking Asian, yet if anyone else tried that...

For me, it's just lazy comedy. There are many ethnic comedians, who I could name but are probably only known in the UK so I won't bother, but who base every single moment of every single routine they do, on their ethnicity. White people seem to find it funny because they're often saying what the whites aren't allowed to say. Again, it's just lazy comedy, with very little actual humour. All the 'humour' is basically wrapped up in "look what I can say but you can't", peppered with "oh and by the way, just to remind you, you're all colonisers..."

Just tell us funny jokes. Like a comedian is supposed to.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:40 pm
down_time wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:50 pm Amok for example apparently hails from Vietnam (although I admittedly haven't looked into it too deeply, don't cancel me :shock: ). And I have never seen a Khmer family cook Amok at home.
I don't believe it is Vietnamese, although it's possible they make it in the delta area. I've had it cooked in a Khmer family home, but it's only made for special occasions.
Hor mok in Thailand, BUT a lot spicier than amok

Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Boo hoo you criticised our crappy food, now say sorry you big meanie.

Good to see the immaturity, shallowness & complete lack of brain cells reaches all levels.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic