Anyone recognizes this snake?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Anyone recognizes this snake?

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:28 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:09 am And to answer your question properly after doing some googling I have a contender

https://www.hongkongsnakeid.com/malaysi ... oral-snake
It's a contender but the texture of the belly seems different. Might be because of age?
Could be. I was looking at the tail and the demarcation of patterns seems to follow with the image you posted... could also be a local variation as well as an age thing
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 am Image

This little beauty tried to enter the house this morning, it's still a very young one, so I find it hard to determine the species.

Anyone?
Malaysian striped coral snakes aren't found in Cambodia.

It's a Striped Kukri Snake, here's the underside of one from online:

And here's the underside of a Malaysian striped coral snake:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:35 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 am Image

This little beauty tried to enter the house this morning, it's still a very young one, so I find it hard to determine the species.

Anyone?

It's a Striped Kukri Snake, here's the underside of one from online:

And here's the underside of a Malaysian striped coral snake:
Looks like we have a winner!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Better to be safe than sorry.......................having had a couple of snakes in houses in Australia safe meant a hole in the wall from shotgun in bedroom to euthanise a tiger snake and having a cat die after it caught a brown snake in kids bedroom and was bitten . They dont need much space to get in . a gap the size of a small water hose will allow them in or a half inch gap under a door.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Arget wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:41 am Better to be safe than sorry.......................having had a couple of snakes in houses in Australia safe meant a hole in the wall from shotgun in bedroom to euthanise a tiger snake and having a cat die after it caught a brown snake in kids bedroom and was bitten . They dont need much space to get in . a gap the size of a small water hose will allow them in or a half inch gap under a door.
You just turned me into a cat person
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

RIP Bob
sumfin smart
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:35 am
Some think they do:
RANGE: Southern Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, Peninsular Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra and Southern Philippines
But I agree with your call, habitat is all wrong for Malaysian Striped Coral Snake.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:06 am
Arget wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:41 am Better to be safe than sorry.......................having had a couple of snakes in houses in Australia safe meant a hole in the wall from shotgun in bedroom to euthanise a tiger snake and having a cat die after it caught a brown snake in kids bedroom and was bitten . They dont need much space to get in . a gap the size of a small water hose will allow them in or a half inch gap under a door.
You just turned me into a cat person
Just a small quote from a booklet I am writing for my kids and grandkids so they know a little bit about me before they arrived.

We always had cats about to keep away snakes rats and mice. Some we tamed but some were not friendly enough to be handled but would live in the sheds and around the farm. We always had a couple of “pets” that would hang around the house and we would play with them.
Just at the end of the garage there was a tap about 4 feet off the ground running from the tank near the shearers hut. This tap always had a drip. The spot underneath the tap was washed clear of dirt and only had a shallow dish that sometimes held a bit of water. Growing near the tap was a Bush that had overgrown the tap but had been cut back so we could get to the tap.
My sister was about 2 and a half years old to 3 years and was outside. The gate from the house yard had been left open (probably by me) and she had got out. When I was heading back to the garage I heard her cry out and saw one of our younger ginger cats jump up and swipe at her hand. As she tried to go towards the tap the cat swiped at her again. I walked over with the intention to drop kick the cat but when I got there I saw that there was a 3 foot brown snake drinking from the dish near the tap. I picked up my sister and took her in to the house. As I walked back I grabbed a spade and headed to the tap. The snake had just moved under the bush so I was going to chop it from the side like using an axe. As I was just about to swing the bloody cat shot under me and tried to grab the snake. I put my foot under the cat and kicked out so it was lifted away about 5 feet. I tried to chop the snake again but the bloody cat flew back in. I tossed it away further then took a swing at the snake, who by this time had reared up, and as the blade of the spade struck the bloody cat arrived and I killed the poor bugger as well as the snake. The cat was only protecting my sister and I rewarded it by taking half its head off.
As mentioned before when you stepped out of the kitchen door there was about a 4 inch drop to the veranda. Outside the door was a mat to wipe your boots on before going inside. We didn’t have slip on boots those days so everything was lace up.
One of the older cats that was not a pet was good at catching snakes and rats. To show us how good he was he would sometimes bring one home to show us. He always put his “gift “ on the mat so we were all in the habit of. Looking before opening the flyscreen door and always taking a big step over the mat as the lip of the step covered about 3 inches of the view of the mat. He was a good hunter but I was never 100% sure his gifts were dead. Besides the fangs still held venom so standing on its head in socks was not something we wanted to do.
This was also the reason that the wash house door had to be kept shut at night. :hattip:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yes, that's what my wife said. Whenever she spots a snake there's no room for identification, you better duck before a cleaver splits your skull aimed for the snake.

To be fair, she has a point. Snakes generally don't lie down waiting for people to take a better look to see if it's a harmless (even useful) snake or a more dangerous species. The ones around here either attack, spit, or run away to prepare a comeback later. The chickens (eggs and chicks) attract them I think, and they can easily hide in the forest behind the house.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:45 am The ones around here either attack, spit, or run away to prepare a comeback later. The chickens (eggs and chicks) attract them I think, and they can easily hide in the forest behind the house.
The snakes are a wily bunch, always scheming and plotting their next move. They’ve got their beady little eyes on the chickens, and they’re not afraid to use every trick in the book to get their scaly hands on those delicious eggs and plump little chicks. They slither and slide through the forest, launching surprise attacks and spitting venom at anyone who gets in their way. But the chickens aren’t going down without a fight! They’ve got some tricks up their feathers too, and they’re ready to peck, scratch, and cluck their way to victory. It’s going to be an all-out battle!!

You have the makings of a good kids cartoon movie here :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic