Wearing a helmet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Wearing a helmet

Post by Tootsfriend »

The law must have changed cause I see dozens, maybe hundreds of people driving motobikes and not wearing helmets here in Takhmau .
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Wearing a helmet

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:32 am The law must have changed cause I see dozens, maybe hundreds of people driving motobikes and not wearing helmets here in Takhmau .
The law hasn't changed

I have been seeing helmetless people riding around for as long as I have been in Cambodia
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I stopped . It’s too hot . I rather pay them off if they care to stop me ,
I even tip a box of beer 🍺
I converted my Honda DREAM into 3 wheels
I used to fall down , but not anymore .
now they fall down and I keep on going .
No need for a helmet anymore..
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Same in snooky, traffic cops are on better wages now.
Can go a week without seeing them, sometimes longer
sumfin smart
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Same as always here, between towns there is traffic cops but in town its whatever.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ask many locals why they wear a helmet, and the stick answer is that the police will stop them and fine them if they don’t.
No risk of being stopped? No need to wear a helmet.

The lack of education has resulted in zero understanding of the Why helmets are needed.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:38 am Ask many locals why they wear a helmet, and the stick answer is that the police will stop them and fine them if they don’t.
No risk of being stopped? No need to wear a helmet.

The lack of education has resulted in zero understanding of the Why helmets are needed.
I don't think that anybody really likes to wear a helmet - hot, uncomfortable, fucks up hair, also in case of many of the very shitty ones sold around here it impairs peripheral vision too

I understand skipping the helmet; I even do it myself occasionally even though helmets have saved my lives on more occasions than I have fingers

Plus, may as well have no helmet as some of the $5-30 police deterrents that the majority of road users wear

I wear euro rated helmets only & dispose of the old and get a new one annually

There have been PLENTY road education leaflets and posters here showing graphically what can happen without a helmet - plus most road users probably see a real life reminder at least once a year on average
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:38 am The lack of education has resulted in zero understanding of the Why helmets are needed.
Might pragmatism works ?
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Years ago in Vietnam my scooter slipped on some gravel, I bounced on my head. Yes I was wearing a helmet, just had a headache for a day. Otherwise I would be doing a Stephen hawking typing this. A Vietnamese colleague came off his bike a month or so later, I asked his friends how he was, they just said "his brain not work now."
In both cases we werent even going fast, no more than 30 kph, par for the course in Hanoi traffic. Not wear a helmet to save messing up your hair? Well, you will never know until the day some little kid runs out in front of you, you brake suddenly and drop the bike. Haha bonk, laughing your head off, literally.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:06 am I stopped . It’s too hot . I rather pay them off if they care to stop me ,
I even tip a box of beer 🍺
I converted my Honda DREAM into 3 wheels
I used to fall down , but not anymore .
now they fall down and I keep on going .
No need for a helmet anymore..
I converted my Honda DREAM into 3 wheels! Can I ask how?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic