Wearing a helmet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Wearing a helmet

Post by Username Taken »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:13 am Horses for courses and since this is an expat forum I wouldn't have expected to many native khmer on here. It was just a "How much do you value your head" comment. If you want to trust a $10 bucket on your head then so be it.
Actually the discussion was about helmet laws not being enforced, and the quality of local helmets.
I would expect that very few expats wear quality moto helmets with DOT or ECE certification.
Have you ever been to Cambodia?
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

It might actually be a good idea to mandate the dealers to provide a decent quality helmet with the sale of each new bike. Of course that would need some government funding, but if they're concerned about safety that should be worth it.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

The lesson of importance on wearing a helmet should start at schools. Dont ride a motobike to school without wearing a helmet or you will be told to go home and get it before entering the school grounds.
I see too many school kids, two-up on a moto wearing no helmet.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:36 am The lesson of importance on wearing a helmet should start at schools. Dont ride a motobike to school without wearing a helmet or you will be told to go home and get it before entering the school grounds.
While agreeing with your statement that educating people while they are school is definitely the way forward I began to consider if social economic factors are also at play here. Are people more likely to wear a helmet if they come from families who are financially better off. Is income directly proportional to, simply, "wearing a helmet". Does age come into play? Are younger parents more likely to be wearers of helmets at all times?
Is anyone aware of any studies or research done by local NGOs or safety groups into this area?
Or what do you think are the main factors at play?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:36 am The lesson of importance on wearing a helmet should start at schools. Dont ride a motobike to school without wearing a helmet or you will be told to go home and get it before entering the school grounds.
That would be tantamount of a dictator ship .
Maybe that idea would work for the communist chinese ..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:06 am I stopped . It’s too hot . I rather pay them off if they care to stop me ,
I even tip a box of beer 🍺
I converted my Honda DREAM into 3 wheels
I used to fall down , but not anymore .
now they fall down and I keep on going .
No need for a helmet anymore..
To be fair you don't have too many braincells to lose.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:07 am Is anyone aware of any studies or research done by local NGOs or safety groups into this area?
Handicap International ran a nationwide campaign a few years ago and there have been a few others over the years (Plan Int?) irrc.
2012 research commissioned by HI before the campaign launched - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4733871/

Cover your melon (ISI) 2019 https://www.brandinginasia.com/cover-yo ... -a-helmet/
One helmet, one life (Total Energies) https://kh.totalenergies.com/one-helmet-one-life

Years ago I had a young guy working as a security guard who went to a wedding, got drunk, drove home without a helmet and came off, hitting his head. He was found the next morning lying off the road and dumped in a clinic on a drip until his family managed to find and identify him. He was never the same again, obviously having had a severe head injury. He couldn't work (we provided a stipend to his family) but kept coming back thinking he was still employed. Very sad and so avoidable. Traffic accidents are the single biggest killer in Cambodia!

In terms of the why many people don't wear them, I think much of it is creating a culture where it's not thought about. Once it's embedded people just wear them. If they had strong enforcement with high fines, it would gradually get there but the govt in this area seems to pander to the masses at times. Remember they entirely scrapped licenses for <125cc because 'poor people' said they couldn't afford the cost. That has obviously not helped improve road safety.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There is an aunt of SWMBO’s who manages to support several younger kids, and maintain a tidy family dwelling, on far less than $200 per month.

High fines will seem oppressive and not constructive to people at subsistence level. Likewise, helmets that cost several months basic living money.
It’s been alluded to earlier.

It wasn’t much more than 4 decades ago that several European countries mandated helmets.
Around about the same time that the locals were still dealing with the ravages of civil war.

I’m always wary of applying western values too rigidly in a country where daily priorities are most likely not aligned with my own.

Possibly, despite ongoing losses, something is better than nothing, while hoping to achieve parity with these more enlightened nations.
Last edited by Freightdog on Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:21 am I would expect that very few expats wear quality moto helmets with DOT or ECE certification.
You're probably right, getting a proper one is a pain in the ass. That said, if I'm riding, I wear a helmet whatever the weather or time of day- imported from the US/Amazon to be certain it was a proper helmet.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:32 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:06 am I stopped . It’s too hot . I rather pay them off if they care to stop me ,
I even tip a box of beer 🍺
I converted my Honda DREAM into 3 wheels
I used to fall down , but not anymore .
now they fall down and I keep on going .
No need for a helmet anymore..
To be fair you don't have too many braincells to lose.
That’s your assessment brainiak . God dam you’re pretentious.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic