Wearing a helmet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Wearing a helmet

Post by Alex »

Considering the quality of most hospitals, dying on the spot thanks to not wearing a helmet might be a blessing in many cases.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Cracks me up every time I see a simpleton not wearing a helmet. Funny how folks will spend $10 on mobile phone cover to protect their phone, but won't spring on a helmet to protect their heads.

3 wheels dont need a helmet. How many road dividers died last month? Chances are these same knuckle heads could drive into the back of a 3 wheeler just as easily as a road divider - just sayin.

But remain looking cool guys and gals and pay the dumb tax when the unthinkable happens.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:36 pm Cracks me up every time I see a simpleton not wearing a helmet. Funny how folks will spend $10 on mobile phone cover to protect their phone, but won't spring on a helmet to protect their heads.

3 wheels dont need a helmet. How many road dividers died last month? Chances are these same knuckle heads could drive into the back of a 3 wheeler just as easily as a road divider - just sayin.

But remain looking cool guys and gals and pay the dumb tax when the unthinkable happens.
I don’t go out at night no more ..
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:36 pm Cracks me up every time I see a simpleton not wearing a helmet. Funny how folks will spend $10 on mobile phone cover to protect their phone, but won't spring on a helmet to protect their heads.

And I thought I was the only one that was scared of the dark.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:27 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 pm

And I thought I was the only one that was scared of the dark.
It’s past happy hours . When the accidents happens ..
plus I get sleepy ..
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

I would spend between $400-600 on a helmet! Anyone who rates potential brain injury as only worth a $10 plastic bucket deserves the outcome.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Gary Busey

Sent from my SM-T570 using Tapatalk

Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

There are two times that I can think of where a helmet probably saved my life back in the day- or at the very least I would have been badly messed up if I wasn't wearing one, they were huge hits - and I don't know how many other times I came off my bikes and noticed a new scrape or ding on the helmet afterward that would have been on my head if I wasn't wearing one.

If I wasn't a believer in helmets after that, seeing the aftermath of someone who hit the road face-first once definitely made me one. She wasn't even riding a motorbike - just a normal bicycle - but she tore up her face, lips, and even her gums really badly. I think she actually lost part of a lip. Weeks later when she was talking about it she said she kept getting PTSD-type flashbacks of the sensation of her teeth grinding on the road.

I've been on bikes without a helmet, sometimes I've rented them and I don't remember a helmet even being offered as part of the deal, but I'm very aware now how bad it can be if you do come off.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:34 am I would spend between $400-600 on a helmet! Anyone who rates potential brain injury as only worth a $10 plastic bucket deserves the outcome.
That amount could be two to three months salary for a Khmer. Far too much.

Would you spend 2 to 3 months salary, say 5K - 6K on a helmet in your country?
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Horses for courses and since this is an expat forum I wouldn't have expected to many native khmer on here. It was just a "How much do you value your head" comment. If you want to trust a $10 bucket on your head then so be it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic