I think she has long COVID

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Re: I think she has long COVID

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:37 am
Given the price of healthcare in the USA. And your limited funds, maybe it's worth to look abroad for healthcare? Bangkok comes to mind.
Brain surgery is not the type of project where you want hire the guy who gives you the lowest estimate or where you want to engage in "medical tourism" to save money.

If he's got a job and insurance, he'll have co-pays and deductibles, and those may total, I don't know, ten grand?

But his insurance will pay the rest, I'd imagine.

Obviously, where he went wrong here was sending her his last $25,000 for the Cambodia trip and then leaving himself no safety net for an emergency which has sadly arisen immediately.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:05 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:37 am
Given the price of healthcare in the USA. And your limited funds, maybe it's worth to look abroad for healthcare? Bangkok comes to mind.
Brain surgery is not the type of project where you want hire the guy who gives you the lowest estimate or where you want to engage in "medical tourism" to save money.

He might find quality care for a lower price. Healthcare in the US is the most expensive in the world, and elsewhere it's not necessarily worse, but cheaper for sure.

Of course medical insurance will solve the funding problem, but since the OP brings money matters up I guess there is no insurance or it doesn't fully cover what's needed.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:51 am
He might find quality care for a lower price. Healthcare in the US is the most expensive in the world, and elsewhere it's not necessarily worse, but cheaper for sure.

Of course medical insurance will solve the funding problem, but since the OP brings money matters up I guess there is no insurance or it doesn't fully cover what's needed.
His insurance will cover most of it, but there will be co-pays, deductibles, lost income for him, etc. Could easily coat him thousands but it shouldn't be say ... $25,000 or anything like that.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 am
MarkArmstrong wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:46 am
johnny lightning wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:31 am How does one make the leap from a brain tumour to Mycotoxic poisoning? And why?
The symptoms described seemed to fit! In the UK we currently have deaths caused by mold in social housing.

The tests are quite cost effective and it seems reasonable to take into account when attempting to diagnose the problem.

That's all
dont ya think the US Dr's will look into everything? I doubt there is much mold in her house in Cambodia
Regardless a brain tumor would not manifest itself over a few months and not all are cancerous

New kid> dont ya have insurance thru ur job that covers medical care?
It sounds so familiar especially where rice and grain are stored. The US doctor will probably not have had any exposure to it and as such will not have tested.

Im not wanting to argue I just want her to have the best chance of a cure.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... mycotoxins
Hardtime
Tourist
Austria

Post by Hardtime »

Can someone verify nkotb,s dramatic story!!!!
Yanks go home.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Hardtime wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:22 pm Can someone verify nkotb,s dramatic story!!!!
You mean the one going from food poisoning to skip a flight all the way to vaginal discharges, bipolar disorder and eventually a brain tumor.

I'd say no but I do hope the best for missus.

If there is any reality and real life friends connected to this I suggest reaching out. Drunks on a forum will do little good.....
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:26 pm
Hardtime wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:22 pm Can someone verify nkotb,s dramatic story!!!!
You mean the one going from food poisoning to skip a flight all the way to vaginal discharges, bipolar disorder and eventually a brain tumor.

If there is any reality and real life friends connected to this I suggest reaching out. Drunks on a forum will do little good.....
Posters have met him. In real life, he's exactly as he is here.

Nausea and personality changes are common symptoms of brain tumors. It's not surprising that the Cambodian doctors at the shitty clinics she went to didn't properly diagnose this.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:42 pm

Nausea and personality changes are common symptoms of brain tumors. It's not surprising that the Cambodian doctors at the shitty clinics she went to didn't properly diagnose this.
I realize this and it's all fun and games until its serious which why I'm hoping NKOTB can reach out to some real friends instead of us.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

... Drunks on a forum will do little good.....
I’ll have you know; I don’t need to be drunk to measure up!
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:42 pm

Same could be said for too much alcohol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic