I think she has long COVID

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: I think she has long COVID

Post by rozzieoz »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:52 am She has a brain tumor.
I am so sorry to hear this, this is terrible.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:52 am She has a brain tumor. Now scrambling to get a brain surgeon and make arrangements.

Then getting a emergency PTO.
Then getting funds.

About a million things to do.

Meanwhile missus is turning into a pile of jello.
You don't need "emergency PTO" if you are eligible for FMLA leave."

You need to say "I want FMLA leave, please give me the forms."

If you take FMLA lave your job is protected, you can't be fired in retaliation, and they have to keep your job open for you until you return.

If you request PTO it can be denied or you can be retaliated against or fired for taking it.

Ask for FMLA leave. Yes, FMLA leave is unpaid but most companies will run your PTO concurrently with FMLA leave until the PTO is exhausted, so you'll be paid for all the paid time off you're eligible for regardless.

Note that FMLA leave can be taken "intermittently" i.e. you can keep working there are just take off a day a a time (or possibly a half day or few hours at a time, if they allow that of PTO requesters, I forget the exact rules on that).

They can't lawfully say "Der, you get 12 weeks of FMLA leave but you have to take it all at once, we'll see you in November."
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

BaltimoreJack wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:52 am She has a brain tumor. Now scrambling to get a brain surgeon and make arrangements.

Then getting a emergency PTO.
Then getting funds.

About a million things to do.

Meanwhile missus is turning into a pile of jello.
You don't need "emergency PTO" if you are eligible for FMLA leave."

You need to say "I want FMLA leave, please give me the forms."

If you take FMLA lave your job is protected, you can't be fired in retaliation, and they have to keep your job open for you until you return.

If you request PTO it can be denied or you can be retaliated against or fired for taking it.

Ask for FMLA leave. Yes, FMLA leave is unpaid but most companies will run your PTO concurrently with FMLA leave until the PTO is exhausted, so you'll be paid for all the paid time off you're eligible for regardless.

Note that FMLA leave can be taken "intermittently" i.e. you can keep working there are just take off a day a a time (or possibly a half day or few hours at a time, if they allow that of PTO requesters, I forget the exact rules on that).

They can't lawfully say "Der, you get 12 weeks of FMLA leave but you have to take it all at once, we'll see you in November."
Yes, this is a good idea.

But I need the paycheck. A lot of savings were spent on Cambodia (with all these problems coming back as a result). I always keep some of my meager PTO time in reserve (learned from COVID) and then FMLA if needed. Hopefully a week of PTO to cover surgery, hospital, recovery, and then home, if all goes well in a high risk surgery. Parents are in Taiwan and will returning on Friday. We haven’t told them of her going, or coming back with all these problems, so hopefully the news won’t shock them too badly. I can always have her stay with them if she still needs someone there all the time afterwards.

Financially, calling in the hospital indemnity plan, and possibly retirement accounts might need to be raided, depending on how much this will all cost. Cashing out retirement costs 50% tax, so not so good. There’s always the option of a second mortgage, but there’s isn’t much that’s not already owed to the bank.

The big question after surgery is follow up. Will she need chemo and radiation? She will need a neurologist, possibly an endocrinologist, possibly an oncologist, too. That’s on top of all the others - psych, counselor, GI, primary, she’s currently seeing.

Lady across the street and donut shop’s husband has offered to help out with getting her to places.

Missus is a pile of gelatin saying she’s not ready for this and preparing to die.

Sorry for the absolute mess of thoughts.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

This is awful!! I know we all give you a lot of shit, me included, but I'm sure nobody wanted to see this happen!
Sending her lots of love and support.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

There is a possibility of Mycotoxin Poisoning caused by fungal environmental issues. Mycotoxins are very toxic compounds given off by certain types of mold. While the vast majority of molds we encounter everyday are not dangerous, there are some molds that produce gas-like substances called mycotoxins. These are very similar to a volatile organic compound (VOC).

If you are genetically susceptible to them, these mycotoxins can take a serious toll on your health, especially if your immune system is already compromised with an autoimmune condition. In fact, roughly one-quarter of the population has an immune response gene called HLA-DR1 that inhibits the clearing of mycotoxins from their body. Yet, under certain circumstances, mycotoxin poisoning from toxic mold can have the same effect on people without the genetic predisposition as well.

https://content.amymyersmd.com/wp-conte ... 4x1024.jpg
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Have the doctors offered any sort of educated guess as to whether it’s a benign or malignant tumor based on its MRI appearance or her blood test results?

Note you may be eligible for a hardship early withdrawal from your 401k account which I believe involves a 10% penalty only.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

How does one make the leap from a brain tumour to Mycotoxic poisoning? And why?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I am very sorry to hear it turned out this way. No one is prepared to deal with this kind of stuff.

Given the price of healthcare in the USA. And your limited funds, maybe it's worth to look abroad for healthcare? Bangkok comes to mind.

All the best.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:31 am How does one make the leap from a brain tumour to Mycotoxic poisoning? And why?
The symptoms described seemed to fit! In the UK we currently have deaths caused by mold in social housing.

The tests are quite cost effective and it seems reasonable to take into account when attempting to diagnose the problem.

That's all
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:46 am
johnny lightning wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:31 am How does one make the leap from a brain tumour to Mycotoxic poisoning? And why?
The symptoms described seemed to fit! In the UK we currently have deaths caused by mold in social housing.

The tests are quite cost effective and it seems reasonable to take into account when attempting to diagnose the problem.

That's all
dont ya think the US Dr's will look into everything? I doubt there is much mold in her house in Cambodia
Regardless a brain tumor would not manifest itself over a few months and not all are cancerous

New kid> dont ya have insurance thru ur job that covers medical care?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic