Mormon missionaries

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Mormon missionaries

Post by grumpygit »

My lady while visiting her son in an issan prison was approached by a young Mormon American guy looking for an easy target.

She was obviously at a low ebb and fell for his caring approach.. I've had the devil's job convincing her this guy is a scam artist working for a cult..

Anyone else has similar?
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Mormon missionaries

Post by Username Taken »

But, did she get the free sack of rice?

Beware of strangers bearing gifts!
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Are mormon's scam artists? what is their scam?

Did your 'lady' feel supported by the conversation with the mormon? Perhaps you could offer support so she isn't vulnerable and needing to seek it elsewhere?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

violet wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:39 am Are mormon's scam artists? what is their scam?

Did your 'lady' feel supported by the conversation with the mormon? Perhaps you could offer support so she isn't vulnerable and needing to seek it elsewhere?
Shall we start with the gold tablets from god that only Joseph Smith could see.. the 10% tithe on all followers earnings. Polygamous marriages. And hanging around outside prisons looking for crying mothers to rope in.. nope these guys are straight up saints.
She was targeted she didn't seek anything..

Have yourself a geat day violet..
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

grumpygit wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:59 am
violet wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:39 am Are mormon's scam artists? what is their scam?

Shall we start with the gold tablets from god that only Joseph Smith could see.. the 10% tithe on all followers earnings. Polygamous marriages. And hanging around outside prisons looking for crying mothers to rope in.. nope these guys are straight up saints.

b]Polygamous marriages, , well there's the good along with the bad for joining up.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:08 am

Polygamous marriages, , well there's the good along with the bad for joining up.
What's the good then?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Your grudge is against the Mormon church and way of life itself in general. What you haven’t really done is elaborate on how this particular Mormon has somehow added to her distress.

I’ve known a small number of mormons, and they’re largely just normal.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I see an abandoned jehova witnesses meeting hall here in siem reap ..

It has been abandoned for quite some time !
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what scam?

He might have been using her situation to try an make her see the "light" that the Mormon church could help here thru the bad situation she is curranty in, with help from the almighty
Hardly a scam,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I've known people involved in the Mormon church - friends of friends usually - and have met lots of missionaries. I think their religion is a bit of a crackpot one but they've all been nice people. I've never really had an issue with people trying to proselytize me except that they always seem to approach me when I can't be arsed talking to anyone but I just say not interested thanks, they say fair enough, we talk for a few minutes about how the weather is great today and then they're on their way.

The missionaries I do have an issue with are the types who go to remote tribes trying to change the way they live, and probably exposing them to viruses they've never been around before. Or taking jobs as English teachers and then using the job to try to convert the kids instead of doing what they're being paid to do. I've met a few of the fake English teacher types in my time and some of them have been arrogant fuckwits, they didn't give a shit about the people whose lives they were messing with, it was all about getting members for their church.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic