Mormon missionaries

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mormon missionaries

Post by grumpygit »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:29 am They have rules. The rogue missionary should be reported to the Church of Latter Day Saints in Utah for recall and punishment. He embarrasses the entire religion.

Because Cambodia is so far away, keeping all their missionaries honest is much harder.

Being a player in a third world country is not one of their enlightenment goals.
The problem is the Mormons role model Joseph Smith had a well documented history of stealing other mens wives for the purpose of saving their souls and the fact that he ended up with a harem nearing 100 is seen as something to aspire to, rather than something to be admonished for.

I'll not comment further on my own situation here as it's obviously just something to amuse certain sections of the forum.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

grumpygit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:26 pm The problem is the Mormons role model Joseph Smith had a well documented history of stealing other mens wives for the purpose of saving their souls and the fact that he ended up with a harem nearing 100 is seen as something to aspire to, rather than something to be admonished for.
I'm no fan of Mormons, but as far as I know polygamy has been discouraged in the mainstream church for decades. There are some off shoot parts of the cult that still practice it but that is not the normal LDS policy. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:21 pm
ItWasntMe wrote:
Username Taken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:59 am
grumpygit wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:44 am Lol.. now she stuck in Lao with no money. Image
Doesn't her 20 year old missionary have a wallet?

:popcorn:
He only has a BWC and a lot of comforting words, it will be up to the former husband to take care of economy and cleaning.

Don't hate the player
I believe the OP is also white, and also has a BWC? (Sorry, needed an Urban Dictionary translate).
Me too thanks, and still none the wiser, something about eating crackers?? Some skirt on the man-teat?
sumfin smart
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

grumpygit wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:26 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:29 am They have rules. The rogue missionary should be reported to the Church of Latter Day Saints in Utah for recall and punishment. He embarrasses the entire religion.

Because Cambodia is so far away, keeping all their missionaries honest is much harder.

Being a player in a third world country is not one of their enlightenment goals.
The problem is the Mormons role model Joseph Smith had a well documented history of stealing other mens wives for the purpose of saving their souls and the fact that he ended up with a harem nearing 100 is seen as something to aspire to, rather than something to be admonished for.

I'll not comment further on my own situation here as it's obviously just something to amuse certain sections of the forum.
I worked in an area where, for whatever reason, there happened to be a lot of people from Utah, I knew some of them and worked with a few. There were some oddballs among them for sure. I think a lot of them considered themselves 'lapsed' Mormons. It was probably the first time in their lives they'd been away from their family, the church etc and they were obviously making up for lost time - drug and alcohol addiction, trips to Bangkok to fuck ladyboys, gambling, boozing, hookers etc... a lot of people growing up in a weird, repressive culture seem to go to the other extreme once they get a bit of freedom.

Anyway, sorry about your lady, most people reading this have probably been through similar situations in the past and are quietly empathizing, even if it doesn't come across that way because the majority of people reading this won't comment and the nature of a thread on a forum being what it is, it just takes one comment to send it off on a tangent.

Who knows what the 20-year-old's story is but whatever, it's a shit thing to do. I doubt it will work out for either of them.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 am most people reading this have probably been through similar situations in the past and are quietly empathizing, even if it doesn't come across that way
Having a Mormon sweep in to steal my wife over a day is not something I've experienced yet.

When that eventually happens one has to consider how low the bar was actually set to hook up with such a crazy ho to begin with.

Do it again and do it right!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:12 am
Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 am most people reading this have probably been through similar situations in the past and are quietly empathizing, even if it doesn't come across that way
Having a Mormon sweep in to steal my wife over a day is not something I've experienced yet.

When that eventually happens one has to consider how low the bar was actually set to hook up with such a crazy ho to begin with.

Me neither, but I have had a girlfriend dump me for another guy. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a Morman she met the day before but it still sucked at the time.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:51 am

Me neither, but I have had a girlfriend dump me for another guy. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a Morman she met the day before but it still sucked at the time.
Of course it sucks but it's our own fault for dating dodgy women. Once a man realizes this and stops sobbing he is in a better position for the next mating season.

Or he comes to the conclusion that being single makes more sense since practically only dodgy women will have any interest in him.

We all have different shit to work with, not everyone can be NKOTB.

My opinions of course.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:05 am
Random Dude wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:51 am

Of course it sucks but it's our own fault for dating dodgy women. Once a man realizes this and stops sobbing he is in a better position for the next mating season.

Or he comes to the conclusion that being single makes more sense since practically only dodgy women will have any interest in him.

We all have different shit to work with, not everyone can be NKOTB.

My opinions of course.
Well in my case it wasn't due to me dating dodgy women, it was more down to family pressure on her to marry and have kids, and me wanting nothing to do with any of that. I never blamed her for ditching me, the situation was what it was.

I do take your point though and yeah, we often create our own problems.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

She was running his bar Freebird (on 240) the last time I was in there years ago. And he was pretty much homeless by then. And yes, lots of US embassy folks (especially US embassy military guards) hung out there. So I am not surprised if one of them ended up running the bar
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Well I've finally got to the bottom of it.

The young missionary lads are the honey trap.. they only talk nicely about god and love ect.
However they introduce the mark to an older well dressed Thai lady who's more of a mammasan figure.
She gets into the girls head. Tells her she can find her a rich American husband.
High pressure to go to meet various American guys who've come all the way to Thailand just to meet the girl..
The main pitch is you get your ticket out of your poor life but you have to renounce Buddha and become Mormon.

I'd guess the older Thai lady gets some kind of fee for getting the girls to go along to meet prospective husbands.

I'd also guess the guys who come from America for the Mormon version of a mail order bride pay top dollar for the travel and introduction package.

That fancy new temple in Bangkok needs to be payed for somehow.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic