Mormon missionaries

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mormon missionaries

Post by mikeukt »

wolfcreek wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:18 pm Remember the Mormon missionary who opened the bar in Phnom Penh several years ago? One of the earliest air conditioned bars in town.....
I didn't know that. What was it called, maybe The Temple or The Tabernacle? Shoulda been something like that.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

So from what I can gather B is spending the night with an old lady (her most accurate description) on the Thai side of the Thai Lao border. Said old lady she had a random encounter with at the same time as meeting the Mormons.
She spent Saturday making flowers for a wedding at a big fancy house about an hour's drive from Kalasin and was paid 500 by old lady. B is unsure if old lady knows the Mormons.
At the same time there has been a 30 year old American guy hanging around B's house who keeps asking her to marry him... A teacher in kalisin so he says.
Soooo.
Today old lady comes B's house and says she will pay her 2000 to go to Lao with her and some other family members. The reason they want my lady along for the trip is unclear but apparently one of the guys wants to propose to a Lao lady and bring her back to kalisin for a wedding.

My first thoughts were.

They want to use her as a drugs mule.
They want to sell B in Lao
Or maybe the old lady has money to burn and just wants a total stranger ( B) for company on the trip.
Or they want B out of the house... Apparently American teacher guy had talked his way into the house and b's 9 year old son had texted her saying ... Strange American man sat here in house waiting for you mum.

I told her to call the cops and get the yank away from the lad... apparently he's left.
I told B to just get out of the car and get a bus back home... She has minimal money with her and thinks I'm over reacting.

Tomorrow they all go Lao...I told her no taking anything across any borders that isn't hers and to regularly check her bag.

I'm rather worried. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Yes, and his wife ended up with the bar after the divorce. Anyway, may he RIP. He was a nice guy, other than his annoying habit of passing out in bars belonging to his friends....
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

His wife went with him back to the States when he died. I don't recall her ever running that bar but I could be wrong. Another American former military guy owned it for a long time.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Why not go with them?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

violet wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:07 pm Why not go with them?
Ok violet.. I think I've been patient enough with you.. so let's have it, what's your fucking malfunction? What went wrong in your life to make you how you are?
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

grumpygit wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:25 pm So from what I can gather B is spending the night with an old lady (her most accurate description) on the Thai side of the Thai Lao border. Said old lady she had a random encounter with at the same time as meeting the Mormons.
She spent Saturday making flowers for a wedding at a big fancy house about an hour's drive from Kalasin and was paid 500 by old lady. B is unsure if old lady knows the Mormons.
At the same time there has been a 30 year old American guy hanging around B's house who keeps asking her to marry him... A teacher in kalisin so he says.
Soooo.
Today old lady comes B's house and says she will pay her 2000 to go to Lao with her and some other family members. The reason they want my lady along for the trip is unclear but apparently one of the guys wants to propose to a Lao lady and bring her back to kalisin for a wedding.

My first thoughts were.

They want to use her as a drugs mule.
They want to sell B in Lao
Or maybe the old lady has money to burn and just wants a total stranger ( B) for company on the trip.
Or they want B out of the house... Apparently American teacher guy had talked his way into the house and b's 9 year old son had texted her saying ... Strange American man sat here in house waiting for you mum.

I told her to call the cops and get the yank away from the lad... apparently he's left.
I told B to just get out of the car and get a bus back home... She has minimal money with her and thinks I'm over reacting.

Tomorrow they all go Lao...I told her no taking anything across any borders that isn't hers and to regularly check her bag.

I'm rather worried. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
I'd make sure the tracking thingy on her phone they use in case of theft or loss is turned on, just in case.... maybe there's even APP for that.

I'm not suggesting there's anything sketchy going on, but when you read stories of slaves being freed from some horrible sweatshop, they're often lured there with the promise of a big payout in return for doing something seemingly easy and harmless.

It could be one small step towards some peace of mind over this weird situation.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

grumpygit wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:18 pm
Ok violet.. I think I've been patient enough with you.. so let's have it, what's your fucking malfunction? What went wrong in your life to make you how you are?
what's your problem? my question is a legitimate question. You are saying how bad they are but your wife/partner/girlfriend made a decision to go with them - didn't even ask you to go for some reason, so I'm not really sure what the status of your relationship is in her eyes. You do have an option to go along with them though. So you weren't invited. Invite yourself/express you'd like to go too. That way you'll know first hand what they are really doing, and you can have an experience with your lady/partner/wife/girlfriend.

What you don't like is that I'm not agreeing with you. I'm not upset. You are. So, the easy answer to your latest question is there's nothing up and nothing malfunctioning.

My first question was what are they scamming? to have a religious belief is not a scam. (I'm not a believer).
My second question was if your lady felt supported by you? That's a perfectly understandable question regardless of whether it cuts deep. She sought something elsewhere. It's becoming clearer since I asked that question that the two of you have different belief systems.
My third question was did she invite you? Perfectly reasonable question.
My fourth question was why don't you go too? Again, a perfectly reasonable question.

easier to point outwards at them and me than to look at yourself though.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

grumpygit wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:59 am
violet wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:39 am Are mormon's scam artists? what is their scam?

Did your 'lady' feel supported by the conversation with the mormon? Perhaps you could offer support so she isn't vulnerable and needing to seek it elsewhere?
Shall we start with the gold tablets from god that only Joseph Smith could see.. the 10% tithe on all followers earnings. Polygamous marriages. And hanging around outside prisons looking for crying mothers to rope in.. nope these guys are straight up saints.
She was targeted she didn't seek anything..

Have yourself a geat day violet..
You wrote "she was obviously at a low ebb and fell for his caring approach."
If a person doesn't have a need, they can't target. You said yourself, she was at a low ebb and fell for his caring approach. she responded to care. therefore she was seeking care. She received it.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

grumpygit wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:18 pm
Well, you're certainly living up to your nick :) IMHO Violet asked a perfectly reasonable question.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic