Sugar consumption

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Sugar consumption

Post by vladimir »

We often complain Khmers put sugar in everything, but until I started noticing what is in food, I didn't realise just how pervasive the encouraged addiction is, even in weren't diets.

In fact I'm wondering which society eats more sugar, a typical western one or a Khmer one.

Back home there is sugar in almost every sauce we buy, every can of food, almost everything we drink except (maybe) water.

Is the Khmer diet really that much more unhealthy than ours? (wrt sugar content only)
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Re: Sugar consumption

Post by rick_o'shea »

My diet is my diet, not our diet. I don't add sugar to food and don't eat much processed foods at all. I can say with certainty that I don't eat much sugar.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cheap food & drink typically contain a lot of salt and/or sugar plus flavouring to replace the content.
But, certain things in Cambodia stand out as sweeter, like bread for example.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Current data seems to indicated that artificial sweeteners are worse for you than the sugar. I just removed them from my diet after 20+ years. I only used them for coffee and tea anyway. Many doctors in the US are trying to get sugar and corn syrup declared poisons by the FDA. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

vladimir wrote:We often complain Khmers put sugar in everything, but until I started noticing what is in food, I didn't realise just how pervasive the encouraged addiction is, even in weren't diets.

In fact I'm wondering which society eats more sugar, a typical western one or a Khmer one.

Back home there is sugar in almost every sauce we buy, every can of food, almost everything we drink except (maybe) water.

Is the Khmer diet really that much more unhealthy than ours? (wrt sugar content only)
You're projecting. Not every westerner buys their food in cans.
Using Tapatalk
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

They seem to add sugar to most soups and stews to counter the acidity of the flavours they use. Also I have a beef (heh) with the tomato sauces they make, as in pretend Italian stuff that's popular here in SHV, which are always too sweet. They don't ripen their tomatoes enough so fling sugar in. They drink a lot of sugary energy drinks like that vile Samurai stuff. Still, at least it's cane sugar and not High Fructose corn syrup that gets chucked into everything in the US.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

The increase in sugar consumption is to say the least alarming, I cut it out of my diet around 1970. The worst culprit I think is HCFS. Some research at Princeton University linking HCFS to obesity http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/arch ... topstories and interesting article here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 61913.html

Cambodia went from consuming 0.6 kg sugar per capita in 1991 to 17kg per capita in 2012 http://www.mah.se/CAPP/Globalsugar/Risk ... tion-WPRO/

Increase in per capita sucrose consumption UK 1815-1970
Increase in refined sugar consumption per capita in the US 1970-2000
Note the alarming increase in HCFS
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/2/341.full
Last edited by Kuroneko on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I have lost 8 kg in 6 months
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

JBTrain wrote:
vladimir wrote:We often complain Khmers put sugar in everything, but until I started noticing what is in food, I didn't realise just how pervasive the encouraged addiction is, even in weren't diets.

You're projecting. Not every westerner buys their food in cans.
I'm not projecting. Nowhere did I say that every westerner buys food in cans. But I would estimate that close to 80% have at some stage purchased canned food regularly., basing that on urban populations and alack of awareness.

And if we compare a westerner living in America, for example, with a Khmer living in Cambodia, I have absolutely no doubt you will find that the westerners are way ahead in buying canned/bottled foods.

And don't forget boxed cereal, what do you put on those cornflakes? How much sugar is in them already?

There is a shitload of sugar in something very commonly used like ketchup/tomato sauce, for example, as well as a lot of sodium and preservatives, colouring etc.

I'm just trying to find out how much sugar an average westerner consumes in America in a month, compared to the average Khmer living in Cambodia. I suspect the westerner consumes more.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Kuroneko, I read somewhere that fructose has been deliberately used because it shuts down the body's message telling us we are full. So the companies are addicting us so we buy more. Correct? And when people tried to get it banned, the fast food clowns used lawyers to get around it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic