Old Guard to Remain Behind the Scenes During Political Renewal

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Old Guard to Remain Behind the Scenes During Political Renewal

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ruling Party to Maintain the Same Leadership Structure
AKP Phnom Penh, August 03, 2023 --

Outgoing Prime Minister Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE who is also President of the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) this morning reaffirmed that CPP will keep the same leadership structure.

At the inauguration ceremony of the third ring road held in Kandal province, Samdech Techo HE said he will continue to be the Party President, while the four Vice Presidents will also remain the same.

“The older generation will not leave the politics, I am still the president of the ruling party, accompanied by the four vice presidents,” he underlined.

Even though Samdech Vibol Sena Pheakdei Say Chhum has requested to retire after the Senate Election in February 2024, he will continue to serve the party as a Vice President, the same as the other three Vice Presidents, including Samdech Krolahom Sar Kheng, Samdech Pichey Sena Tea Banh, and Samdech Kittisangahapundit Men Sam An.

Founded on June 28, 1951, CPP was formerly known as the Kampuchea People’s Revolutionary Party. It was renamed CPP in 1991. The party has played an indispensable role in the peace-seeking process, reconstruction and development of Cambodia, and now in the country’s efforts to maintain peace, defend independence and boost more development.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Old Guard to Remain Behind the Scenes During Political Renewal

Cambodia’s HE Says He Will Remain Power Behind the Throne
The outgoing leader said that he may be obliged to retake the prime ministership in the event of instability or in-fighting.
By Sebastian Strangio
August 04, 2023
Cambodia’s outgoing Prime Minister HE says that he may one day return to the top post, should the life of his son and heir designate be threatened in any way.

Speaking in what he claimed would be his last public engagement prior to handing over power to his son HM, HE said he was worried that the handover of power to HM, 45, might result in instability, according to Radio Free Asia (RFA).

“I warn you that if my son’s life is endangered, the possibility of returning to be the prime minister is that I have to come back and work,” he said, in RFA’s translation. “I have to return to be the prime minister for a while. After that, I will choose who can be the next prime minister.”

On July 26, the Cambodian leader, who has led Cambodia since 1985, announced that the long-planned handover of power to his son would take place on August 22, following his Cambodian People’s Party (CPP)’s walkover victory at national elections last month.

HE, who will retain the post of CPP president, added that while he would not seek to influence the new government’s decisions, he would continue to wield influence behind the scenes in order to ensure a stable transition.
https://thediplomat.com/2023/08/cambodi ... he-throne/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CPP was formerly known as the Kampuchea People’s Revolutionary Party.

Good luck starting a party with a name like that.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

5 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
King issues a Royal Decree appointing His Excellency Dr. HM as Prime Minister of Cambodia

HM is now Prime Minister of Cambodia, after His Majesty King Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, issued a Royal Decree appointing him as Prime Minister of Cambodia to organize the Council of Ministers for the Royal Government of the seventh mandate.

The appointment was made in a royal decree signed by His Majesty the King on Aug. 7.

The newly appointed Prime Minister is responsible for preparing the composition of the Royal Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia for a vote of confidence from the National Assembly, the royal decree stated.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501338312/ ... -cambodia/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I like the old guard, and the fact he's still going to be around should be a good thing. Times change everywhere, I think next month will be (in snoop Dogg's voice) a real doozy for the 'rest of the world'.

The youtuber who's video I recently posted, asked an honest (jailbroken) AI, what the best type of leader is, it said a 'benevolent dictatorship'.

Wether or not you agree that is what the Khmer people have had, the progress that has been made here over the last 28 years in my view is admirable.

I don't follow politics, and don't know much about his son. But I thank HE, and think his rule is probably the biggest reason I love this country and keep coming back here.
sumfin smart
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:02 am ...

Wether or not you agree that is what the Khmer people have had, the progress that has been made here over the last 28 years in my view is admirable.
Imagine the progress if the population as a whole had been equally a priority
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:11 pm

A fair point, but one you could equally ask about most western democracies since the 80s also.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:29 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:11 pm

A fair point, but one you could equally ask about most western democracies since the 80s also.
I do.

When your corruption is enshrined in legislation, we call it the developed world.
When your corruption is enshrined in basic culture, behaviour and perceptions of how things are done, the developed world calls it corruption.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PM HE to Hold the Post for Two More Weeks
AKP Phnom Penh, August 07, 2023 --
Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE said he will remain at the post of Prime Minister for 15 more days, and then he will become the father of the Prime Minister, after His Majesty the King issued a royal decree appointing H.E. Dr. HM, his eldest son, the new Prime Minister of Cambodia on Aug. 7, 2023.

“I will continue to be Prime Minister for 15 more days then I will be promoted as father of the Prime Minister. It is not the end yet. I will continue serving in other positions for at least until 2033, which I will then serve for more than half a century,” he underlined in a message on his social media networks.

Counting until Aug. 22, 2023, the date which he will officially step down, and counting from Jan. 14, 1985, the date which he officially became the Prime Minister, he has been a Prime Minister for 38 years 7 months and 8 days, an equivalent to 463 months 2,014 weeks and 14,099 days.

If counting his work serving the government from Jan. 8, 1979 in the position of Minister of Foreign Affairs, Deputy Prime Minister, Acting Prime Minister, and Prime Minister, as of Aug. 22, 2023, he has served for 44 years 7 months 14 days, an equivalent to 535 months 2,328 weeks and 16,297 days.

Looking back through time, Samdech Techo HE was the youngest prime minister (32 years old) and the longest-serving in the world.

By Heng Panha
AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »