Poipet City Market Openly Selling Wildlife

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Poipet City Market Openly Selling Wildlife

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Banteay Meanchey Province): Many species of snakes are for sale on the side of Kon Damrey Market near Ochrov Forestry Administration Sangkat, located in Kon Damrey Village, Sangkat Nimit, Poipet City, Banteay Meanchey Province.

A Facebook account named Chan Puth confirmed that when you travel on National Road No. 5 to Malai district at the point of the Elephant Market, you see all sorts of wild animals, live and dead, being sold for food every evening to customers coming there from Poipet city.

For example, there are bags of live snakes for sale, some weighing up to 4 to 5 kg, which sell for between 30,000 and 50,000 Riel a kilo. A man selling the snakes at the market said that people bring the wildlife to him, and he can make between 5000 and 20,000 riel profit per kilo selling them to customers, depending on the weight and whether the animals are dead or alive.

Citizens said that it is very sad to see all the wild animals, snakes, and birds, being sold at the Elephant Market, and they ask the officials of Banteay Meanchey Provincial Forestry Administration and State Forestry District to crack down on wildlife sellers at Ko Damrey Market, Poipet City to stop wildlife sales.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Poipet City Market Openly Selling Wildlife

Post by truffledog »

Education is the key. There is nothing wrong to offer/catch wildlife that is abundant in an area (like rice paddy snakes and some species of birds). Things are a complete different matter if we are talking about rare/endangered species which we should protect with all means (like Kratie dolfins)
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:31 pm Education is the key. There is nothing wrong to offer/catch wildlife that is abundant in an area (like rice paddy snakes and some species of birds). Things are a complete different matter if we are talking about rare/endangered species which we should protect with all means (like Kratie dolfins)
and poverty & greed
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

People have to eat all over the world, because we dont eat snakes or spiders, Khmers like them. I was in the country-side near SR years ago and asked the family: No snakes here ?? They all laughed and replied: ofcourse not, when we see one, we kill them and have yummy food tonight. Maybe Khmers laugh with us because we keep chicken in 100.000 bateries in big stables, its an other world and other rules here. I am curious what Cam-law says about it ?? !! Maybe you can sell aything as long as you bribe the coppers, no !! ??
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

truffledog wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:31 pm There is nothing wrong to offer/catch wildlife that is abundant in an area (like rice paddy snakes and some species of birds).
Ethically perhaps but there are plenty of risks associated with the trade in live non-endangered wildlife. Biosecurity and zoonotic spillover are a couple, not to mention biodiversity loss and habitat destruction (cyanide/explosive/electrical fishing for example).

I'm not saying I advocate total bans necessarily, only there are risks which need to be understood and managed.
https://www.unodc.org/e4j/en/wildlife- ... cking.html
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Say I wanted to buy a live elephant. How much will that cost me? I think it's a trick question, but any serious offers will be entertained...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic