What Is The World Coming To?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: What Is The World Coming To?

Post by Random Dude »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:03 pm I have been sidetracked by this thread a little as I have been doing some digging and most of the books that are coming up are aimed at young teenagers. There doesn't appear to be many aimed directly at very young children. I think the issue, from the parents perspective, is that these books are on display and could be accessed by children younger than the intended audience. I am thus moving my views slightly as the content of the banned books that I have looked at appear nothing more than stories about teenagers exploring their sexuality and maybe it is overly prudish parents that are fanning the flames a little.
That said, I am still against the sexualization that some primary/kindergarten teachers are instilling in their students. Secondary school is fine, 11 - 18, but younger than that then, no.
I don't blame parents for being disturbed by it, nobody wants to think about their 5-year-old princess learning about sex, much less possibly having it in a few years.

And I agree there are probably some overly prudish parents fanning the flames, there are probably some overly idealistic academic types or social justice warriors doing the same thing on the other side of the argument too. That usually seems to be the case these days - a few very vocal influencers drawing people to their extreme opinions when the ideal solution should be somewhere in the middle.

But I also wonder if parents realize how much times have changed since they were kids, with the internet and everything. Is it better to protect your 5-year-old from that sort of thing and let them be kids for a while, or to prepare them through education for when they're inevitably exposed to it anyway? I don't have an answer.

I like to think people running the schools have some insight into what the situation is on the ground and are doing their best to prepare kids for the real world, but when I see obviously ignorant parents in the news attacking teachers for things like disciplining their spoilt brats,and idiot politicians telling people with masters degrees in education how to do their jobs, I just think the system is broken.

I'm glad I don't have kids.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:03 pm I have been sidetracked by this thread a little as I have been doing some digging and most of the books that are coming up are aimed at young teenagers. There doesn't appear to be many aimed directly at very young children. I think the issue, from the parents perspective, is that these books are on display and could be accessed by children younger than the intended audience. I am thus moving my views slightly as the content of the banned books that I have looked at appear nothing more than stories about teenagers exploring their sexuality and maybe it is overly prudish parents that are fanning the flames a little.
That said, I am still against the sexualization that some primary/kindergarten teachers are instilling in their students. Secondary school is fine, 11 - 18, but younger than that then, no.
Good on you for doing a bit of digging, it is enlightening.

The school in question teaches kids from K to grade 12. As you found these books are not aimed at or read to five-year-olds. A five year old would not have the mental capacity to understand and contextualise them. I doubt anyone would suggest they could. The reason this was sent to parents is that they are in the school library and Kindergarten kids access the library to have (supervised) kids story sessions. They are covering their ass in the overly litigious environment of the US. Just click no and move on if you're that worried about it as a parent.

Furthermore, the school in question has been a victim of the puritanical movement sweeping the US education system which has allowed the removal of books aimed at young adults that have been READ, discussed and approved by the school reading committee made up of over 70 parents and educators after a complaint by ONE parent.
It seems to be an abuse of the system,” said parent Jeff Kent, who helped review two of the books.

Kent said students – often those struggling with issues of sexuality and race – will suffer.

“They need to see themselves in a book or any other way that they can see so they know they are not alone in the world, and that’s the lifeline a lot of kids get, and they aren’t going to have access there,” he said.

Teachers are not prohibited from assigning the books as long as parents are notified, Taylor said.
The Spotsylvania County school district was in the national spotlight in November of 2021 when some parents complained about books with sexually explicit content and some school board members suggested certain books be banned and burned.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... s/3317248/

There is a full list of the "banned" books in the link. Interestingly one of them is 'Sold' by Patricia McCormick.
Although Lakshmi's family is desperately poor her life still contains simple pleasures; but, when the harsh Himalayan monsoons wash away all the family’s crops, Lakshmi’s stepfather sends her away to take a job to support her family. When she arrives at “Happiness House”, full of hope, she learns the unthinkable truth: she has been sold into prostitution. An exceptional novel suitable for TEENS and ADULTS.
I thought that child sex trafficking was a hot button issue for US conservatives, surely it's important for young people to be made aware of this issue so they can support their parents activism and stamp out this horrific practice? I wonder what Tim Ballard would say? :chin:

I read American Psycho as a teenager (and the book is way more graphic than the film) and recently reread it, I had forgotten how disturbing it actually was. It didn't turn me into a sadistic deviant (as far as I can tell anyway :lol1: ).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

So, potentially, a library catering for all ages might need to arrange their books in a manner which was sufficiently segregated without need for razor wire, and those books be managed in such a way as to avoid the horrors of the little horrors getting their grubby mits on ‘em.

This might be a monumentally impossible task. I wonder how the ancients might have done it?

On a slightly connected note, I once went into a Waterstones, and noted that shelves were arranged by young fiction, teen fiction, adult fiction. I wonder if that might catch on? I vaguely recall UK public libraries having a similar system before they were all closed, and tik-shtick took over…
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

do kids still go to the library?
Cant recall my daughter, ( growing up in Thailand) ever entering one till i took her to the Library of Congress in Washington dc> not only 164 million items, from books to photos to recordings to maps to…much, much more.
but an incredible building

do they still teach the Dewey Decimal System?

"....shelves were arranged by young fiction, teen fiction, adult fiction"
Book stores in Thailand are arranged like this, plus other categories.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:59 pm So, potentially, a library catering for all ages might need to arrange their books in a manner which was sufficiently segregated without need for razor wire, and those books be managed in such a way as to avoid the horrors of the little horrors getting their grubby mits on ‘em.

This might be a monumentally impossible task. I wonder how the ancients might have done it?

On a slightly connected note, I once went into a Waterstones, and noted that shelves were arranged by young fiction, teen fiction, adult fiction. I wonder if that might catch on? I vaguely recall UK public libraries having a similar system before they were all closed, and tik-shtick took over…
Maybe some machine gun posts at intervals along the barbed wire??

I can see how parents that are upset about teachers being overly explicit about sex and introducing their personal beliefs into the classroom have seen that these books are in their school libraries and could, possibly, be viewed or read by young children. Repressing the sexual development of young adults has never ended well for societies, but then nor have the more hedonistic ones.
God help us if people could accept a certain amount of balance in society. Maybe not everything how you want it but, mostly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:04 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:59 pm So, potentially, a library catering for all ages might need to arrange their books in a manner which was sufficiently segregated without need for razor wire, and those books be managed in such a way as to avoid the horrors of the little horrors getting their grubby mits on ‘em.

Maybe some machine gun posts at intervals along the barbed wire??

I can see how parents that are upset about teachers being overly explicit about sex and introducing their personal beliefs into the classroom have seen that these books are in their school libraries and could, possibly, be viewed or read by young children. Repressing the sexual development of young adults has never ended well for societies, but then nor have the more hedonistic ones.
God help us if people could accept a certain amount of balance in society. Maybe not everything how you want it but, mostly.
What? Compromise? I feel the foundations of my existence shuddering as I type.
Curious thought- have these tomes of corruption always been there, waiting for their day in the spotlight? I can almost imagine an eager researcher, fresh from a diesel claim, seeking an outrage to be carried along with the current hot topics…
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

My stance is that I am absolutely accepting of anyone's sexuality and whoever you choose to share your bed or life with is your business. But it's just that - your business. I don't want to know the ins and outs of your relationship so don't ram it down my throat.

The issue I have is when children are somehow persuaded that they want to change their gender. This is very much aligned to sexuality and I really don't believe that a 9 or 10 year old has developed a sense of their sexuality by that age. I do understand that body dysmorphia exists, but not in the numbers currently seen amongst prepubescents. What I see is that children see how much attention is lavished on the boy who wears a dress or the girl who crops her hair and they want a bit of it. They are elevated to an almost god-like status and are afforded rights over and above their peers - dictating how adults will address them for example. This is where I draw the line and this is where I question the dialogue being fed to vulnerable, impressionable children.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I was having a similar discussion over a G&T or too many, just recently.

My son hops around the living room, identifying as a frog, in between barking like a dog. I trust we are not at the stage where he’s going to be surgically transformed into an amphibian. I’m sure he’d love it for a week or so, until the novelty wore off.

In the haste to treat the disconnection from biological reality, there seems (to me, at least) to be a disconcerting lack of effort in identifying what is happening with certain individuals, and instead reinforcing the aberrations by making everyone else comply.

Imagine if schizophrenia were treated with a barrage of medication for the rest of us.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

sumfin smart
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:30 pm
And there I was thinking that teaching that the holocaust is a myth was a concern
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic