What Is The World Coming To?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What Is The World Coming To?

Post by down_time »

That seems fair @Alex but I was under the impression this video was not of school classes but of independent activities outside school. Does this happen in schools? If so I would expect at least an opt out option, like religious kids can opt out of some stuff.
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

Excellent thread full of insightful comments. Bravo mods!
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

DavidMurphy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:57 pm Excellent thread full of insightful comments. Bravo mods!
I had the impression that the good posts with individual and complex arguments came from "normal members", while the mods were just posting videos and far-right memes.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:32 pm I do find it amusingly ironic that the God Squads of the world are up in arms about teaching kids about people that do actually exist as opposed to 2000 years old fairy stories from the middle east.
Not only that, they see no problem with sending their kids - alone and unsupervised - to schools, boarding schools, and after-school groups run by organizations with a long history of allowing, and even covering up, pedophilia.

A generation or two ago parents were having the fear of god put into them by the media, religious leaders etc over rock and roll music, Elvis Presley's dance style, teenagers with long hair, hippies, Dungeons and Dragons board games, heavy metal, video games, current clothing trends, surfers, foreigners, different ethnicities, black people being allowed on the same buses as whites, mixed marriages, reefer madness, ear piercings in boys.... now the same people are getting everyone worked up over the existence of trans people.

The videos I've seen just show some weirdly dressed people in a public library reading to kids and their parents while the kids are laughing and having a good time. The most traumatic thing about it is probably when a group of adults burst in making a scene and threatening to beat people up.

The kids who go to a story reading in a public library aren't being groomed for sexual abuse, they won't be turned gay, if they even remember it a year later their only opinion on the subject will probably be that the dude reading the story was a bit strange, but mostly just like everyone else. In the same way that travel, and being exposed to different cultures broadens the mind (in most cases at least) those kids might even grow up a little more open-minded, and less scared of anything different.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Pantomimes in the UK historically used men dressed up as women. I had story book albums as a kid and still remember the cover of one being a man dressed as a woman. No big deal

Claiming there is a community is what I think is a load of poo
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s a good chance that what is being seen is the either the over-reaction to a small incident after a lot of frustration. A straw that broke the camel’s back. Or it’s the inevitable bigotry that finds a home in the fringes of the genuine frustrations felt by many others.

One significant difference between the ‘gay’ movement and the trans-agenda, now often overlooked or overwhelmed with the ‘woke’ driven haste to accommodate-
Acceptance, of homosexuality being normal, whereas trans- is being imposed in increasingly aggressive manner.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

What kind of stories are usually read at these wholesome family fun events?

You'll find it's usually stories with character's who are questioning their own gender identity. Which is probably a great book to help a child out, providing that child is in the 3% of the global population who feels like they're in the wrong body.

What reason do the other 97% need to put them selves in these characters position?.

Children are very impressionable, they're basically blank slates at birth in my opinion. These people are doing this for a reason, and it's definitely not a good one
sumfin smart
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:56 pm I don't think Julian Clary and Dame Edna were doing it in schools.
Over the last 40 years every issue in civilization has been thrown towards education, for education to 'educate and solve it'.

This decade the issues thrown towards education are gender issues and climate change (or maybe pollution in general). It is what it is. In the past few decades it was pollution, HIV & sexual education, alcohol & drugs,, homosexuality, racism, healthy food & lifestyle, and a few others. If gender issues are dropped from the curriculum, fine, but in that case they have to drop all the other 'soft' subject suiting society as well, today's and tomorrow's, and return to the basics of education: language, math and a few side subjects. But that's not how it works (anymore).

I, personally, have no problem with people from the 'not straight' "community" going into the schools, or libraries, to tell the kids about their life. Education should prepare kids for society. These people are part of society, maybe a part many of us don't understand, and some of us clearly disapprove with, but still part of society. All kinds of organizations visit schools all the time. Some of those have opinions which might suit you, but schools are not there their to teach the opinions we want them to teach, schools are there to show the whole spectrum. That's why I think banning books from libraries is an insane move, virtue signalling from the other side. I know many of you will disagree, but that's what freedom of speech really is IMHO. The kids sample all we feed them and then they can make up their own informed minds. Of course this has to happen supervised, and you have to feed them what they can handle

Back in my days I went to a catholic primary school, even though we weren't religious in our family. It was the best school in the neighborhood, and it was close. I had bible classes in the second grade, had to visit church once a week (yes, supervised by our teacher) in second grade and I have been baptized because everyone got baptized in that school. I was given a watch by my grandmother that day. It didn't turn me into a catholic nutter, or a religious freak. Quite the opposite actually. It taught me something and because of that I was able to have an opinion about it based on knowledge. Would I want to be baptized now: probably not. Do I teach my kid about catholicity? Yes, occasionally. It doesn't hurt kids to expose them a little bit to things outside of their regular daily life which are part of society. It will only sharpen the pencil they write their opinions with.
Last edited by Kammekor on Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:39 am What kind of stories are usually read at these wholesome family fun events?

You'll find it's usually stories with character's who are questioning their own gender identity. Which is probably a great book to help a child out, providing that child is in the 3% of the global population who feels like they're in the wrong body.

What reason do the other 97% need to put them selves in these characters position?.

Children are very impressionable, they're basically blank slates at birth in my opinion. These people are doing this for a reason, and it's definitely not a good one
Yes, children are very impressionable. But kids are also intelligent and have common sense, which we, adults, tend to underestimate.

I taught my kid all about the tooth fairy and Santa. Last week the kid came to collect 5$ for a lost tooth. From me. Too lazy to hide it under the pillow for the night, the kid told me. Never told the kid the tooth fairy story was a lie.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:56 pm

I don't think Julian Clary and Dame Edna were doing it in schools.
This guy crashed into a library, not a school btw.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic