Does being nice to chaperone get better results?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Swaize
Tourist
United States of America

Does being nice to chaperone get better results?

Post by Swaize »

Reading up on Khmer (good girl) dating is wild for me as someone in the west. How long am I expected to be chaperone dating? Will treating the chaperone help with building rapport and hopefully get me solo dates?

If I hit it off with my match, I fully expect my parents will get involved with hers (they are friends from childhood) and an engagement will be set.

Is visiting too often seen a bad thing? I just wanna take my date to the movies/lunch/breakfast with the limited time I have.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Does being nice to chaperone get better results?

Post by Bluenose »

On your other posts you say you are "100% Cambodian" with Cambodian family so why are you asking questions on a website for expats - that's non-Cambodians?
Just to be clear, this forum is aimed at expats in Cambodia, not Cambodians living as expats
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Treating the chaperone anything else but nice surely wouldn't be well received, isn't that a no-brainer?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There are plenty of "good girl" women here who don't need a chaperone, are you dating somebody from the 1970s? You should just come here & look around, no need to go the arranged route for a good partner. The country has changed immensely even in just the last 10 years, unless you're aiming for the King's daughter (ahem), I think you should snoop around - you might just surprise yourself & save yourself a heap of hassle with any families that think things still run like the 70s.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:39 pm On your other posts you say you are "100% Cambodian" with Cambodian family so why are you asking questions on a website for expats - that's non-Cambodians?
Just to be clear, this forum is aimed at expats in Cambodia, not Cambodians living as expats
You’re a real douche, aren’t you.

A Cambodian from the USA is as much an expat / forum participant as an Indian, Korean, second generation white fella Californian.

Pull your head in. You seem personally affected by the poster’s declaration and choice to post here.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:39 pm On your other posts you say you are "100% Cambodian" with Cambodian family so why are you asking questions on a website for expats - that's non-Cambodians?
Yeah, what we need on this forum is less posters.
Start the cull..
sumfin smart
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sounds more like KhmerAmerican culture from the East Coast. Much more conservative and less likely to change.

If the family arranges it, expect a chaperone. And all the cultural baggage that goes along with it. And they will pick a more conservative girl, of course.

A lot of Khmer fled during the war and then the Khmer Rouge, so expect traditions to be stuck in 1970s or so.

However if you find a Khmer girl on your own, then you are free to pick the one best for you.

If you turn down enough of their picks, you are also free to chose your own as well.

Good luck!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

You wouldn't catch me asking my parents to find me a wife.

I can make my own bad choices thanks
sumfin smart
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

violet wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:02 am
You’re a real douche, aren’t you.

A Cambodian from the USA is as much an expat / forum participant as an Indian, Korean, second generation white fella Californian.

Pull your head in. You seem personally affected by the poster’s declaration and choice to post here.
Whaaaaaaaateveeerrrrrrr.......
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Swaize wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:13 pm Reading up on Khmer (good girl) dating is wild for me as someone in the west. How long am I expected to be chaperone dating? Will treating the chaperone help with building rapport and hopefully get me solo dates?

If I hit it off with my match, I fully expect my parents will get involved with hers (they are friends from childhood) and an engagement will be set.

Is visiting too often seen a bad thing? I just wanna take my date to the movies/lunch/breakfast with the limited time I have.
Things have changed, fast, over the last decade. The odds of you ever dating with a chaperone in tow aren't that big I guess.

Having said that, it is a kind of a no brainer how to treat the chaperone. If you want to come across as a nice person to the girl you're dating being rude to the chaperone isn't going to help, is it? But you don't have to treat the chaperone like a princess either. After all, she's not the one you're after.

Parents involved: yes. At a certain point. But not before a (estimated) 6 months period of meeting each other.

Visiting too often? What's too often? Converse with your girl. She can tell you about the specific feelings about you in her family. We can't.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic