Seriously looking to get married to a Khmer girl

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Swaize
Tourist
United States of America

Seriously looking to get married to a Khmer girl

Post by Swaize »

Hello,

I’m a bit of a unique one since I am actually 100% Cambodian (naturalized in the USA). Grew up in a Cambodian household (everyone of my siblings and parents have fluency) and I have fluency in the language.

I’m kind of done dating in the west. Too much baggage, too much casual hook ups has left a huge swathe of women undateable.

How would I be perceived over there in Cambodia? I have a good job over here and a good career. Would I be treated as Barang or would my brides parents be fine with me?

How would I even start? I have cousins and aunts over there as well as my own parents, should I ask them to play matchmaker for me? I’m not interested in working girls, just looking for a girl who comes from a good background that got momma seal of approval.

I know most marriages in Cambodia are arranged and I’m 28 so I’m def in the older category.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Seriously looking to get married to a Khmer girl

Post by Spigzy »

Nothing to lose - if you''re bringing in the bacon and "a top bloke" I would imagine most Cambodians would be totally cool with it, from poor families (100%), through to top end I honestly cannot see you having any problem whatsoever. You may struggle perhaps only if looking at the real top Okhna/Chum Teav, government families, royality, etc perhaps could be a bit more choosy that you're not 100% "Khmer" (although you are).

The bigger question is how you intend to pickup said Mrs Swaize, there's a pile of other threads on Khmer women & where the various levels hang out. I won't dig into those as it is very much personal what type of woman you are after, but suffice to say it isn't all just old white guys and bar girls, so aim high. (no offence to old white guys & bar girls, if they're happy they're happy!)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I met my wife through friends in Cambodia, but that was not a setup or arranged and rather by chance. I wonder if something like that could work for you when visiting your family in Cambodia? Not a fan of a formal setup though.

Are you able to stay in Cambodia a while? If so I’d say just come here and it will happen naturally.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

I didn't know Khmerican dudes needed to ask Cambodian relatives to play matchmaker.

I thought it was just done automatically.
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

It's funny you find USA women undateable but consider getting an arranged marriage. Aren't those women the literal definition of undateable?
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

I'm almost certain most marriages aren't arranged, I don't even think the hill tribes do that anymore.

If you have trouble dating in the west then I can promise you, it won't work here. Sounds like you want to marry some yokel girl and whisk her away to the states.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I would imagine that you would be considered 'a good catch' by the local women given you're Cambodian, speak Cambodian, have family there so presumably you are aware of local customs etc, have a good job & career in the US. Plus you want a wife..not a just a GF.

Like anywhere, the trick is to find a suitable partner. Others above have posted good suggestions on how you could approach it. In particular, and from personal experience, I also recommend GMJS-CEO's quote
Are you able to stay in Cambodia a while? If so I’d say just come here and it will happen naturally.
Only way to really get to know a girl properly...seen too many 'met on holidays/internet' relationships go sour. Just my humble opinion. Good luck!
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

It sounds more like he is fed up with what is on offer for dating in his country more than having "trouble" dating.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Sounds like an incel tbh
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ignore the nay savers: Come back, Met ur relatives, before you return have them put out fellers for eligible ladies
thats the only way ur going to meet anyone, unless you can stay for a few months and "date"
come back before the wedding season where, thru your contacts, you can be invited to lots of weddings /parties. the perfect place to meet perspective wife's
ur a catch>>
there are no downsides>

If New kid can find a lady, ( and ur way ahead of his game), anyone can :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic