Seriously looking to get married to a Khmer girl

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Seriously looking to get married to a Khmer girl

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I suggest going for a bank clerk. Not somebody too official, but with just enough education and trustworthiness that you could call 'stable'.

I ended up with someone who doesn't know how to use a door properly
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

When you think you've found her, take a minute to yourself
sumfin smart
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

CEO Pathological Cynic here. Western raised Cambodian men seeking marriage advice are rare in Barang forums. Tentative research shows of the 1.1 million unmarried women, an eligibility to about 1.1 million... a Cambobarang might know that.

100% Cambodian by ancestry and naturalization? Less than 100% is 0%. One Khmer parent and born on a mountaintop in Tennessee you are Khmer. Naturalization is for children born to foreign parents... and HE donors?
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

scott61 wrote:CEO Pathological Cynic here. Western raised Cambodian men seeking marriage advice are rare in Barang forums. Tentative research shows of the 1.1 million unmarried women, an eligibility to about 1.1 million... a Cambobarang might know that.

100% Cambodian by ancestry and naturalization? Less than 100% is 0%. One Khmer parent and born on a mountaintop in Tennessee you are Khmer. Naturalization is for children born to foreign parents... and HE donors?
I going to make a speculations here.

Children born in the Tennessee to foreign parents don’t get need naturalization. They are automatic citizens. If they are born elsewhere, aka Cambodia, and the parents become citizens, then they need to go through naturalization. I did.

If a foreigner and a Khmer marry and have a child, is the child 100% or 0%? I’d say the kid is mix, neither 100% nor 0%. Culture mostly runs through the mother to the kids. The OP says he grew up Khmer so either mom was Khmer, or both parents are Khmer and emigrated to the US.

Naturalization isn’t just for HE donors.

I try to be optimistic until proven wrong.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1. Anyone born on American soil< Ie an embassy, in any part of America, Guam or EVEN a US Navy ship in port is an American, regardless of their parents nationality

2. Any child born of a one or both US citizen's ANYWHERE is a US citizen

3. the parents do NOT have to be married, if a child is born outside America to one US citizen, the child is American

4. a child born to 1 American citizen and 1 xxx citizen, holds dual nationality
wherever they are born

Now the OP case
OP states:
"....I am actually 100% Cambodian (naturalized in the USA) " to me, that says both parents are Cambodian

Which is all beside the point!!
Ur a catch for a fine young Khmer lady :-)

bon Chance'
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Swaize
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Swaize »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:00 pm On surface an easy answer. Below the surface, a complicated one.

What kind of Khmer wife do you want?

A model trophy?
Dedicated to you, take care of you forever?
One just one right now?
Or a Khmer Dominatrix who will put her heel on your neck everyday? I wouldn’t recommend that one. She will crush your soul and turn your heart into stone.

What kind of girl are your needing?
Right now?
Your equal?
Or your soulmate? Expect to spend a lot of time to find your soulmate.

The expectation (in Cambodia) is the KhmerAmerican has a wife in the west, a second wife in Cambodia, possibly more the other cities in Cambodia as well.

Also, did you grow up as a west coast (Long Beach) Khmerican or east coast (Longwell) Khmerican? Different culture and expectations.

How close are you to the Cambodian culture? Does mom visit you every day? Your brothers and sisters visit every couple days and your uncles and aunts at least once a week or more? They will bend her will into theirs. If mom visits once a month and everyone else once year, then less influence.

Lots of factors to consider.
Sorry for my very unhelpful advice.
I’m looking for a wife, needs to be traditional, needs to be respectful. I do have a potential match and will be chatting her up before I plan on visiting. I can’t do the infidelity thing my sisters and parents would kill me.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Traditionally, Khmer wife controls the finances and controls all family affairs. Husband hand over all money and gets put on an allowance. And has to do everything the wife tells him to do. Husband is allowed to do stuff with the wife’s permission.

If it’s an introduced (arranged), you are marrying two families. The families will have all the say.

If you are that close to your sisters and parents, they will change your wife into their thinking eventually. Especially if it’s a family marriage.

Have you checked out the girl’s social profile? Chatting is like a job interview. She may just be showing what she wants you to see.

My opinions, of course.

Good luck!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:38 pm Traditionally, Khmer wife controls the finances and controls all family affairs. Husband hand over all money and gets put on an allowance. And has to do everything the wife tells him to do. Husband is allowed to do stuff with the wife’s permission.

If it’s an introduced (arranged), you are marrying two families. The families will have all the say.

If you are that close to your sisters and parents, they will change your wife into their thinking eventually. Especially if it’s a family marriage.

Have you checked out the girl’s social profile? Chatting is like a job interview. She may just be showing what she wants you to see.

My opinions, of course.

Good luck!
And he would know
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I'd say 'fvck it mate', make your own decisions in life.

There's a reason arranged marriages aren't such a thing these days
sumfin smart
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Swaize wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:05 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:00 pm On surface an easy answer. Below the surface, a complicated one.

What kind of Khmer wife do you want?

A model trophy?
Dedicated to you, take care of you forever?
One just one right now?
Or a Khmer Dominatrix who will put her heel on your neck everyday? I wouldn’t recommend that one. She will crush your soul and turn your heart into stone.

What kind of girl are your needing?
Right now?
Your equal?
Or your soulmate? Expect to spend a lot of time to find your soulmate.

The expectation (in Cambodia) is the KhmerAmerican has a wife in the west, a second wife in Cambodia, possibly more the other cities in Cambodia as well.

Also, did you grow up as a west coast (Long Beach) Khmerican or east coast (Longwell) Khmerican? Different culture and expectations.

How close are you to the Cambodian culture? Does mom visit you every day? Your brothers and sisters visit every couple days and your uncles and aunts at least once a week or more? They will bend her will into theirs. If mom visits once a month and everyone else once year, then less influence.

Lots of factors to consider.
Sorry for my very unhelpful advice.
I’m looking for a wife, needs to be traditional, needs to be respectful. I do have a potential match and will be chatting her up before I plan on visiting. I can’t do the infidelity thing my sisters and parents would kill me.

28 in the older category? You are definitely not old in Cambodia.

Do not go for an arranged marriage. You can find any one you want here so find someone yourself- someone that you like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic