Fuji Japanese Restaurant (Aeon 1)

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Fuji Japanese Restaurant (Aeon 1)

Post by hanno »

Fuji Japanese Restaurant
Second Floor AEON 1, 12301 Street 3, Phnom Penh
Monday to Sunday from 09:00 to 22:00
Tel: 010 700 472

Food: 2/5
Service: 3.5/5
Value for money: 2/5
Ambience: 2/5

I do not like eating in malls, but we were meeting friends to watch a movie, a movie that is almost three hours long (Mission Impossible, if you must know) and I needed some food. After cruising the food court 3 times without finding anything that looked even remotely edible, I settled for the Fuji restaurant, figuring it cannot be all that bad.

It was only when I opened the menu that I realized that the restaurant is part of a Thai chain with, apparently, over 100 restaurants across Thailand. I should have gotten up right there and then; the only thing worse than a mall restaurant is a chain mall restaurant. But I was running out of time and so I sat tight and ordered.

I ordered a seaweed salad ($3.00), Takoyaki ($5.00), and the Premium Sashimi & Sushi Combo ($18.00) along with an Angkor beer ($3.00). All prices are excluding 10%, so not really all that cheap. I had read quite a few comments about how slow the service was, but the food arrived within 20 minutes, which I guess is not too bad.

I first got the Seaweed salad. Not tasty at all and a tiny portion, barely a fork full. The Takoyaki were obviously mass produced and out of the freezer. Again, little tasted and I suspect that the octopus was probably some sort of substitute or pressed fish. Hard to tell as there was zero taste of octopus or anything else, for that matter.

The biggest disappointment was the Sashimi and Sushi Combo. I did not expect anything great, but what I received was taking the piss. Who the hell puts crab sticks on a sashimi platter? Crab sticks are to seafood what Lipton is to tea: whatever is left on the factory floor at the end of the shift is swept up and pressed into something barely resembling food. The tuna was pretty much inedible, tough, and dry. There was also lots of nasty fish roe and the salmon was not much better. Even something simple like the maki was a disaster. This was touted as the Premium platter; I hate to think what the regular sushi and sashimi taste like.

I suggest you eat before going to the cinema, or at least not eat at Fuji. The best part of the meal was the beer, though $3.00 for a beer in a mall is steep. But then the food is not exactly great value for money either.

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Fuji Japanese Restaurant (Aeon 1)

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:27 am Fuji Japanese Restaurant
Second Floor AEON 1, 12301 Street 3, Phnom Penh
Monday to Sunday from 09:00 to 22:00
Tel: 010 700 472

Food: 2/5
Service: 3.5/5
Value for money: 2/5
Ambience: 2/5

I do not like eating in malls, but we were meeting friends to watch a movie, a movie that is almost three hours long (Mission Impossible, if you must know) and I needed some food. After cruising the food court 3 times without finding anything that looked even remotely edible, I settled for the Fuji restaurant, figuring it cannot be all that bad.

It was only when I opened the menu that I realized that the restaurant is part of a Thai chain with, apparently, over 100 restaurants across Thailand. I should have gotten up right there and then; the only thing worse than a mall restaurant is a chain mall restaurant. But I was running out of time and so I sat tight and ordered.

I ordered a seaweed salad ($3.00), Takoyaki ($5.00), and the Premium Sashimi & Sushi Combo ($18.00) along with an Angkor beer ($3.00). All prices are excluding 10%, so not really all that cheap. I had read quite a few comments about how slow the service was, but the food arrived within 20 minutes, which I guess is not too bad.

I first got the Seaweed salad. Not tasty at all and a tiny portion, barely a fork full. The Takoyaki were obviously mass produced and out of the freezer. Again, little tasted and I suspect that the octopus was probably some sort of substitute or pressed fish. Hard to tell as there was zero taste of octopus or anything else, for that matter.

The biggest disappointment was the Sashimi and Sushi Combo. I did not expect anything great, but what I received was taking the piss. Who the hell puts crab sticks on a sashimi platter? Crab sticks are to seafood what Lipton is to tea: whatever is left on the factory floor at the end of the shift is swept up and pressed into something barely resembling food. The tuna was pretty much inedible, tough, and dry. There was also lots of nasty fish roe and the salmon was not much better. Even something simple like the maki was a disaster. This was touted as the Premium platter; I hate to think what the regular sushi and sashimi taste like.

I suggest you eat before going to the cinema, or at least not eat at Fuji. The best part of the meal was the beer, though $3.00 for a beer in a mall is steep. But then the food is not exactly great value for money either.

The "KIng Box" at Burger KIng would be better than that garbage, and cheaper too
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

3 hr movie, coke, salty caramel popcorn.

Just saying…
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:09 am 3 hr movie, coke, salty caramel popcorn.

Just saying…
I don't like Coke or popcorn....
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

I guess no matter what you do you will find haters. I haven't been to this one recently, I don't like its interior/exterior design. Looks like a 'look at me' scenario. But the one at Don Mueang Airport is the best place to be if you're waiting for a plane to take off.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

franzjaeger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:14 pm I guess no matter what you do you will find haters. I haven't been to this one recently, I don't like its interior/exterior design. Looks like a 'look at me' scenario. But the one at Don Mueang Airport is the best place to be if you're waiting for a plane to take off.
I guess they must be doing something right if they have a hundred restaurants in Thailand. But the one in Aeon isn't doing it right.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've gone there twice over the years and I think it's quite a bit worse than the Fuji restaurants in Thailand. Especially the service. While not exactly great either, the ones in Thailand fit the bill for a situation like yours, having to kill some time and getting a bite to eat at a shopping mall.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic