RIP Sinead O'Connor

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

RIP Sinead O'Connor

Post by Username Taken »

Gary Small
Expatriate

Re: RIP Sinead O'Connor

Post by Gary Small »

Rip
Nice voice but........
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Mad as a hatter but what a voice. She should have had more success than she did; but that hairstyle didn't help.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:22 am Mad as a hatter but what a voice. She should have had more success than she did; but that hairstyle didn't help.
Rather than mad as a hatter she was an individual thinker. Sure, she struggled with mental health - people who don’t fall into the well trodden pathways of societal norms often do - it’s the result of, rather than the cause of.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Probably inappropriate to say, but even as a gay man, I always thought she was absolutely stunning in her prime. Maybe her shaved head made her look more masculine, I don't know, but I always thought it was a crying shame she was female.

Being British, I have known a lot of Irish in my time, and, clearly not all, but a disproportionate number of them suffer from mental health issues to some degree. People often forget just how deeply religious Ireland is (or was - not sure what it's like now) and religion, especially the types of religious institutions children are (or were) forced to attend there, really messed with a lot of kids minds. We're not just talking about kids being made to attend mass every Sunday. We're talking about kids being taught that God is always watching and they will burn in hell for all of eternity if they step out of line.

I've been told some pretty horrific stories from Irish people who had awful upbringings, and at the centre of it all was always religion.

I don't know much about Sinead's upbringing, but she was clearly deeply troubled by many things, much of it appearing to have a religious theme, from ripping up a photo of the pope, to turning her back on Christianity altogether and turning to Islam. She was clearly a tortured soul, and I'm sure that her Irish religious upbringing played a large part in that.

Despite this, she was unique in every possible way. From her voice to her personality. Never one to censor herself and never had a problem speaking her mind, no matter what others thought of her. Last time I saw her being interviewed was a couple of years ago, I think on a breakfast TV program. She had already converted to Islam and was wearing the headscarf and all the other gear Muslim females typically wear, and I was expecting her to be a little, odd (for want of a better word) maybe even a little wacky, but she came across as just a sweet, sane, ordinary woman who had no qualms talking openly about her private life and all sorts of issues, including why she had converted to Islam, but not once did she come across as someone who thought the world should covert to Islam.

It's clear that the suicide of her son absolutely shattered her, and although we don't yet know the cause of her death, it would come as no surprise to anyone if it turned out to be suicide also, due to the unbearable pain of losing her son. She once said that her son was the only person in her entire life to have ever loved her unconditionally.

Such a tragedy.

RIP Sinead. x
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:22 am She should have had more success than she did; but that hairstyle didn't help.
She had plenty of different hairstyles. I'm surprised that you would make such a facetious remark.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/galle ... n-pictures
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sad. The world's a poorer place for losing such a person.
RIP.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wished she had burned that odious pope's picture instead of just tearing it apart, but other than that, I have no complaints. Great gal. RIP.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s a select few artistes that, when recalling their name, an iconic track plays in the back of my mind. She’s one…
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

What a loss. A great voice!

Some comments about hair, activism, problems etc. But if it weren't for the voice - there would be no comments.

Hope there is a heaven so she can sing with the angels.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic