Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Post by Izzy »

I am going to visit a local family in the Provinces and would like to take "arrival" gifts. They are not a family who "needs" anything so I just want to bring something they would enjoy. The family includes young children, early-teens, and adults. Suggestions I've gotten include Kinder Eggs for the children, chocolates, and fancy biscuit tins. Anyone have other ideas?
"You can't change the people around you...but you can change the people around you!"
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Post by Freightdog »

Sod the Kinder eggs. With the whole* world focusing on single use plastics, small toy bits worthy of choking should be high on the list of ‘let’s just stop this’.

The local markets are full of garbage $1 toys and bits, all of which get trashed quickly.

Here’s a suggestion or two- Interact, find ways around the language barrier. Forget trinkets.
I sometimes drag a friend and his kids along on our visits to family in the province, largely so that I can stay sane, or at least spread the insanity.

Recently, I took a bag of marshmallows, and got the remnant heat of the BBQ going, and we skewered Marshmallows, toasted them, and dipped them in chocolate. Not necessarily the Norte americano ‘marshmallows over a camp fire’ but it entertained 9+ kids of varying ages, along with a few adults for half an hour.

Cook something that they don’t recognise. I’ve cooked up big bowls of pasta, and improvised some sauce with a jar of ready made, augmented with extra bits. The kids generally tuck in, get carried along with the experience. The adults, women especially, turn their noses up a little but are amused by the kids different interaction.

*small exaggeration.
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Izzy »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:50 pm Sod the Kinder eggs. With the whole* world focusing on single use plastics, small toy bits worthy of choking should be high on the list of ‘let’s just stop this’.

The local markets are full of garbage $1 toys and bits, all of which get trashed quickly.

Here’s a suggestion or two- Interact, find ways around the language barrier. Forget trinkets.
I sometimes drag a friend and his kids along on our visits to family in the province, largely so that I can stay sane, or at least spread the insanity.

Recently, I took a bag of marshmallows, and got the remnant heat of the BBQ going, and we skewered Marshmallows, toasted them, and dipped them in chocolate. Not necessarily the Norte americano ‘marshmallows over a camp fire’ but it entertained 9+ kids of varying ages, along with a few adults for half an hour.

Cook something that they don’t recognise. I’ve cooked up big bowls of pasta, and improvised some sauce with a jar of ready made, augmented with extra bits. The kids generally tuck in, get carried along with the experience. The adults, women especially, turn their noses up a little but are amused by the kids different interaction.

*small exaggeration.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that aspect of the Kinder Eggs. I love your ideas! But I still don't want to show up empty-handed.
"You can't change the people around you...but you can change the people around you!"
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Dessert. A sodding big cake.

My personal experience is that unless you are turning up with some expensive, ostentatious offering, which may get about the same respect as a $1 toy, you are aiming for the unachievable, or at least the unappreciable. Might be vice versa.

If I was back up in Bangladesh, it’s custom to take Mishti, as a guest. And sometimes betel leaf. And that being a Muslim country, a bottle or two of roughest Johnny walker. And some cigars.

I almost expected similar for Cambodia, buts it’s very not quite the same. Many efforts were met with casual indifference. I quickly took the view that engaging was a better way.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

A few months ago I visited a family out in the village and decided to take some of these and a small bottle of KK tomato sauce as a snack rather than eat dried fish and rice.
Spoiler:

The kids tried them and scoffed the bloody lot.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Many an Asian adult is reluctant to try new/different food, but for most kids, if curiosity hasn’t been completely repressed, they’re willing to experiment.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

A cake is usually well-received. BUT, you have to be sure it will get there in good condition to be admired and eaten before meltdown. Same with chocolates - they do not travel well. I also found that "real" chocolate was not sweet enough for most Khmer and less appreciated than commercial chocolate made from powered cocoa and sugar.
Just remember, your offerings are there to create a bond and half the fun is sharing. I hate cake personally and would rather have a beer, but sharing is caring, so I eat the cake before the beer and we're all happy chappies. :2girlsit8:
The old boys (and sometimes the older women) quite like an offered cigarette too if you are not anti-smoking.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

@Anchor Moy & @Freightdog both covered an important aspect of any "gift" that you take to the family.... Sharing

If you are making a return trip in the future you will have more options as you know if roasting marshmallows on a BBQ is possible... Oh and btw, Freightdog forgot to mention that the kids devoured the 1st packet like a shoal of piranhas! but a couple of packets of marshmallows and a small jar of Nutella for dipping should set you up for an invite to return.. well from the kids at least.

Beers and related snacks for the guys and if the ladies prep any snacks or food be sure to compliment them as a little flattery never goes amiss.

In fact most of this is not even Cambodia specific. Just be a good guest and I am sure a return visit will be on the cards.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Always well received.....

Large tin(s) of biscuits (the ones with 3 kg in it or so, o.a. available @ Makro)
A bottle of rum or other booze for the guys, doesn't have to be a fancy one
A (branded) cream or a (fancy looking) shampoo
Sweet / hell chili sauce (preferably in glass bottle for re-use, assuming you go to the sticks)
As said above, something to share & DIY. Marshmellows, pancakes, whatever. Just bring the ingredients for something sweet & exotic and set off the event.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I visited 10 years ago a tribe in Panama who lived in the middle of nowhere (Darien-gap) and from a girl who worked in y hotel i got a good tip: Buy the cheapest solar-panel to produce electricity, as they hadnt overthere, only way was a generator, and they needed petrol for that. When they understand how it works they will never forget you. Ofcourse thats not a 5 dollar gift, but you can find under 100 dollar in europe !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic