Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Post by Freightdog »

Dependant upon travel arrangements- You’ll easily get one of those polystyrene yellow boxes in the market, to keep all the sticky stuff from melting with a couple of frozen bottles of water.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:53 am
Izzy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So far I have marshmallows (which would have never crossed my mind, but I love it), Nutella, biscuit tins, small bottle each of rum and vodka, and an assortment of mini, individually wrapped Snickers and Kit Kats (hopefully won't be melted!), along with mini, individually wrapped assorted biscuits and rice crackers, and single serve coffee Latte packets. I will be getting some 5000 riel bills as well (such a great idea--can't go wrong with that one!). That pretty much fills up my available space, so I'll have to keep the other suggestions for my next visit.

IF anyone knows where to find WALKER'S SHORTBREAD (typically with a distinctive red plaid background on the package) I would love to add that to my goodies, as I know that these are one of the family favorites, but have not been able to locate any.

Thanks again!
That all sounds very nice. You will need to borrow Santa's sack to carry it all.

However, I think you've gone overboard with the goodies. Yeah, I realize it didn't cost you the earth, but they will be expecting it from you on every future visit that you make.
Maybe spoiling them a little..
But feel free to come visit me anytime!

I'm not Khmer but I know a few
sumfin smart
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Relatives: durian
Police: 6-pack
Police chief: whiskey

There you go, don't complicate things, we left that shit behind us.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

One of the nice things in Cambodia is that you can send other people shopping for you, instead of wasting time and breaking your back. 5000 riel notes for the children to buy candy. 50000 riel notes for the grown-ups to buy food and booze. Sorted.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

I'd go with 2/3 durians if you know which ones to choose, some sweet cakes they sell along the national roads served in bamboo sticks and small money for the kids.
If you find fruits like grape or cherries difficult to get in the province, take them, they're be welcomed.
Small individual snickers / kitkat is a good idea.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:41 pm Relatives: durian

6 - pack ?
Cheap cheap charlie ,
That would piss anybody off
24 is o.k.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:48 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:41 pm Relatives: durian

6 - pack ?
Cheap cheap charlie ,
That would piss anybody off
24 is o.k.
Come on my beer drinking brother it's not like I killed someone, 6-pack is plenty enough.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Izzy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So far I have marshmallows (which would have never crossed my mind, but I love it), Nutella, biscuit tins, small bottle each of rum and vodka, and an assortment of mini, individually wrapped Snickers and Kit Kats (hopefully won't be melted!), along with mini, individually wrapped assorted biscuits and rice crackers, and single serve coffee Latte packets. I will be getting some 5000 riel bills as well (such a great idea--can't go wrong with that one!). That pretty much fills up my available space, so I'll have to keep the other suggestions for my next visit.

IF anyone knows where to find WALKER'S SHORTBREAD (typically with a distinctive red plaid background on the package) I would love to add that to my goodies, as I know that these are one of the family favorites, but have not been able to locate any.

Thanks again!
Hi

I am still in the UK and could arrange for some to be shipped to you

Let me know

Mark
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

5000 Riel note for each child and 50,000 Riel notes for each adult?

In the provinces?

Was there an incredible rate of provincial inflation?

Last time it was 500 Riel notes for each child and 1000 Riel each adult.

Of course it was followed by taking them to pizza/restaurant. So I guess it works out.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:54 pm 5000 Riel note for each child and 50,000 Riel notes for each adult?

In the provinces?

Was there an incredible rate of provincial inflation?

Last time it was 500 Riel notes for each child and 1000 Riel each adult.

Of course it was followed by taking them to pizza/restaurant. So I guess it works out.
Hahahahhaa mr 10k usd for food poisoning has spoken. LMAO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic