Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Gift Ideas for visit to Cambodian family

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I bring gifts from the US when I visit - Cologne’s are a big hit, and I remember ratchet belts went over quite well https://a.co/d/djfNMeo
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Lots of 5000 riel notes, for the children.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Tarot cards and fire works...

But seriously, some good suggestions here.
If it were me, I'd be taking-

Marshmallows and Nutella
Captain Morgan spiced and big bottle pepsi
Pasta but with a local street food to go in it, maybe Khmer sausge and make it spicy? But if only 1day/night I wouldn't bother.
Cheap as chips story books (2500 riel a pop)
5000 riel notes

I definitely wouldn't be taking-
A tin of bean and tomato sauce
sumfin smart
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Izzy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:23 pm I am going to visit a local family in the Provinces and would like to take "arrival" gifts. They are not a family who "needs" anything so I just want to bring something they would enjoy. The family includes young children, early-teens, and adults. Suggestions I've gotten include Kinder Eggs for the children, chocolates, and fancy biscuit tins. Anyone have other ideas?

Anything red
Tet rice available at most times "Bánh tét"
Peach blossom
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I am very surprised that no one mentioned beer before. Loads of it..
work is for people who cant find truffles
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Crate of ABC
Deal with the repercussions the day after
sumfin smart
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:36 am Crate of ABC
Deal with the repercussions the day after
truffledog wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:18 am I am very surprised that no one mentioned beer before. Loads of it..
My view of a family in the province is, lots of kids and a few oldies that are already catered for in the alcohol supply department , why anyone would spend money on beer when it would be much better spent on kids who dont have money, it all beats me and my logical thinking.
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Izzy »

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So far I have marshmallows (which would have never crossed my mind, but I love it), Nutella, biscuit tins, small bottle each of rum and vodka, and an assortment of mini, individually wrapped Snickers and Kit Kats (hopefully won't be melted!), along with mini, individually wrapped assorted biscuits and rice crackers, and single serve coffee Latte packets. I will be getting some 5000 riel bills as well (such a great idea--can't go wrong with that one!). That pretty much fills up my available space, so I'll have to keep the other suggestions for my next visit.

IF anyone knows where to find WALKER'S SHORTBREAD (typically with a distinctive red plaid background on the package) I would love to add that to my goodies, as I know that these are one of the family favorites, but have not been able to locate any.

Thanks again!
"You can't change the people around you...but you can change the people around you!"
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Izzy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So far I have marshmallows (which would have never crossed my mind, but I love it), Nutella, biscuit tins, small bottle each of rum and vodka, and an assortment of mini, individually wrapped Snickers and Kit Kats (hopefully won't be melted!), along with mini, individually wrapped assorted biscuits and rice crackers, and single serve coffee Latte packets. I will be getting some 5000 riel bills as well (such a great idea--can't go wrong with that one!). That pretty much fills up my available space, so I'll have to keep the other suggestions for my next visit.

IF anyone knows where to find WALKER'S SHORTBREAD (typically with a distinctive red plaid background on the package) I would love to add that to my goodies, as I know that these are one of the family favorites, but have not been able to locate any.

Thanks again!
Last time I was in KoW in Nov 2022 to Apr 2023, Lucky had them in stock.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Izzy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So far I have marshmallows (which would have never crossed my mind, but I love it), Nutella, biscuit tins, small bottle each of rum and vodka, and an assortment of mini, individually wrapped Snickers and Kit Kats (hopefully won't be melted!), along with mini, individually wrapped assorted biscuits and rice crackers, and single serve coffee Latte packets. I will be getting some 5000 riel bills as well (such a great idea--can't go wrong with that one!). That pretty much fills up my available space, so I'll have to keep the other suggestions for my next visit.

Thanks again!
That all sounds very nice. You will need to borrow Santa's sack to carry it all.

However, I think you've gone overboard with the goodies. Yeah, I realize it didn't cost you the earth, but they will be expecting it from you on every future visit that you make.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic