Mama Wong's Dumpling and Noodle House

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Mama Wong's Dumpling and Noodle House

Post by hanno »

Mama Wong’s Dumpling and Noodle House
#41, Street 308 (Bassac Lane), Phnom Penh
Monday to Sunday from 11:00 to 23:00
Tel: 097 850 8383

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 5/5
Value for money: 4.5/5
Ambience: 3/5

Doesn't look much from the outside.

I do not go to Bassac Lane all that often, but friends of mine recommended the place after I told them about my experience with David’s Noodles, so I decided to give it a shot for lunch (I certainly do not go to Bassac Lane at night, way too loud for my old ears).

When we arrived, the place was pretty empty, with just two other tables occupied. The restaurant is not much to look at, either from the outside or in; hole in the wall springs to mind. But it is clean, including the kitchen, a bonus point after going inside the dirtiest kitchen I have seen in my entire life a couple of days ago. But that is a story for another review.

Clean kitchen.

We sat inside, and I thought the waitress might not have seen us, but she was upon us in a flash. Speaking excellent English, she recommended the daily special. At only $5.50 net, this gets you a main dish, a side dish, and tea or coffee. My friend opted for that, ordering the fried noodles and stir-fried morning glory with garlic and oyster sauce. I was a little puckish and ordered the prawn and chive dumplings ($4.50 for 8 pieces), and the Taiwanese style beef noodle soup ($4.50) as well as a lime juice ($2.50).

My friend’s noodles arrived first, and they were pretty good. Obviously hand-made, they had the perfect consistency. I was missing the meat, but then my friend is a vegetarian (I know: why bring a vegetarian to eat?). The morning glory was also very good. A pretty boring vegetable on its own, it was well seasoned and tasty.

Stir-fried noodles.

And stir-fried morning glory.

My noodle soup arrived shortly after. I was expecting a bowl but what I got was more like a tureen, a huge portion of noodle soup! They also did not skimp on the meat, with lots of slices of very tender beef. I could tell by looking at the broth that this was going to be a tasty affair, and I was not disappointed. I might have had better soup in Taiwan, but only just.

Massive portion!

I had forgotten about the dumplings when they appeared halfway through my soup. It was a challenge to knock them off but knock them off I did. I was given the choice of fried or steamed and went for the fried as I find them tastier. Again, very tasty dumplings, nicely presented. Basically, everything David’s Noodles is not.

Fried dumplings with prawns and chives.

I was pretty stuffed by now but I did have to try Mama Wong’s take on crème brûlée as this is not something I expected to see in a Chinese restaurant. What I got was a lime crème brûlée with lime sorbet ($4.50). I do not like sorbet, but my friend was happy to take it off me. The dessert was excellent, with the right amount of lime. It was also served the way it should be: hot, caramelized sugar on top and a cold crème below. Perfect!

We were both in desperate need of a hammock by now. An excellent, copious meal for $21.50 for the both of us. It is not fine dining, but then nor are the prices, but it is solid, tasty food and excellent service. I will certainly be back as there are a couple of more dishes on the menu that I must try.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Mama Wong's Dumpling and Noodle House

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That food looks great, appreciate the review, will definitely try this place out.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

That looks good, i will try this today
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

yeah you are right Hanno.Creme brule dont need any sorbet on top. Less is more.

Those dumplings look great but I prefer the steamed version. Once fried they taste like fried anything.
work is for people who cant find truffles
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

truffledog wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:16 am yeah you are right Hanno.Creme brule dont need any sorbet on top. Less is more.

Those dumplings look great but I prefer the steamed version. Once fried they taste like fried anything.
Each to their own. They actually just fry the bottom, which gives them a nice crunchy bite.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Could we get your review on David's Noodles pls?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gazzy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 am Could we get your review on David's Noodles pls?
Reviewed a few days ago: getting-your-fill/david-noodle-t55768.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic