Retiring to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Retiring to Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:11 pm

The Thai Elite Visa program is going to be discontinued September 15th according to the website.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-vi ... am-changes

As per the new update, the following Thailand Elite Visa programs will be discontinued and rebranded on October 1, 2023:

Elite Easy Access
Elite Privilege Access
Elite Family Alternative
Elite Family Excursion (discontinued on June 16, 2023)
Elite Superiority Extension
Elite Ultimate Privilege
Elite Family Premium
Elite Maxima Health
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:29 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:11 pm

The Thai Elite Visa program is going to be discontinued September 15th according to the website.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-vi ... am-changes

As per the new update, the following Thailand Elite Visa programs will be discontinued and rebranded on October 1, 2023:

Elite Easy Access
Elite Privilege Access
Elite Family Alternative
Elite Family Excursion (discontinued on June 16, 2023)
Elite Superiority Extension
Elite Ultimate Privilege
Elite Family Premium
Elite Maxima Health
Probably, but that website and information is from Siam Legal.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:20 am

If ur happy in Thailand, Stay>
I made the mistake of moving over to Kep in june 2021 thinking i could be happy there, i'd been visiting since 2004, lived in PP in 2008/09, have a KHmer gf, i'm old and after all, the sea was there, gf''s family, nice roads for mtn biking.
After building a house, which was just about the worst experience i have had in 35 years in SE asia, I found that Thailand was so much better for just about everything> SO happily moved back to Phuket last nov.

DONT give up that place u have :-)

All elderly gentlemen expats should heed these words of wisdom from a most knowledgeable expert "old hand". The Kingdom of Thailand, Land of Smiles, Hub of All That is Good, especially healthcare, will certainly be the best choice for you.

Whatever you do, don't retire in Cambodia.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Itinerant
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Itinerant »

All comments appreciated. After a week with my GF, looking around Siem Reap, we have applied for long stay visas; ER retirement for me and EB for my GF with a Work Permit, simply to obtain the long stay 1 year renewable visa and can self certify as self employed, although it is not likely that she will work unless we can find suitable professional employment. Now looking for accommodation in a quiet area within walking distance of markets and a supermarket.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

ER extension specifically does not allow one to legally work in Cambodia.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:27 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:10 pm I and my Cambodian partner find it better here in Thailand :-)
Thailand has lost its charm, far too many of the Pattaya crowd is seeping into the other areas of the country. I’d guess that’s why the OP is headed out to greener pastures in Cambodia as well. Such a shame!
so true
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:27 am ER extension specifically does not allow one to legally work in Cambodia.
He said for his girlfriend, who got an EB EOS
Itinerant
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Itinerant »

alexvanlaar wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:35 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:10 pm I and my Cambodian partner find it better here in Thailand :-)
Thailand has lost its charm, far too many of the Pattaya crowd is seeping into the other areas of the country. I’d guess that’s why the OP is headed out to greener pastures in Cambodia as well. Such a shame!
so true
We both needed a change of environment and there are a number of factors that made our decision. It may be that we move back to LoS in a year or few but for now we want to enjoy some quiet time together. We are close enough to maintain family links and for the GF to visit them occasionally but far enough away for them not to disturb and visit. Already established the family call on Sunday afternoon and, otherwise, not to call unless there is an emergency.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Itinerant wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:47 pm
so true
We both needed a change of environment and there are a number of factors that made our decision. It may be that we move back to LoS in a year or few but for now we want to enjoy some quiet time together. We are close enough to maintain family links and for the GF to visit them occasionally but far enough away for them not to disturb and visit. Already established the family call on Sunday afternoon and, otherwise, not to call unless there is an emergency.
lets switch passport?
you give me ur wifes thai passport, i'll give my wifes Cambodian one<
save each of us $300+/year :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:26 pm
Itinerant wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:47 pm
so true
lets switch passport?
you give me ur wifes thai passport, i'll give my wifes Cambodian one<
save each of us $300+/year :beer3:
Why not go the whole hog and switch wives.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic