Retiring to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Retiring to Cambodia

Post by MarkArmstrong »

From what I have read if you find a job with a large corporate or similar they will handle all of the visa situation for you.
kambokiwi
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by kambokiwi »

Thanks bro, appreciate the reply
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:42 am From what I have read if you find a job with a large corporate or similar they will handle all of the visa situation for you.
That is correct but dependent on your employment contract, though hardly relevant to a thread about retiring in Cambodia.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

I am thinking of a job to fill some of my time thats all. It would be nice to participate in the workplace and not close the door completely.
Johnny8998
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Johnny8998 »

Well, I’m new to the forum and I’m here researching retirement in Cambodia.

I’m currently in the Pattaya area on a O visa retirement extension with 800,000+ baht in a Thai bank. So, currently no problem in that regard. I also have a nice monthly income, but that money is deposited into a bank in the USA. Periodically, I wire some money to Thailand.

Anyway, there’s currently some talk from the Thai authorities about tightening the requirements fir retirement visa extensions, including a requirement for health insurance (currently not required for O visa retirement extensions). I have a comprehensive Blue Cross policy that’s good in Thailand, but I’m worried that if the insurance requirement comes to pass, my Blue Cross plan might not be acceptable. I’m 72 years old, so buying another health insurance policy in Thailand might not be an option. So, if they change the rules, I guess I’m out of here.

Moving to Cambodia would be simple. All my junk will fit into two suitcases and a carry-on. I’ve never visited Cambodia, though. But from what I see on YouTube, renting doesn’t cost that much. All things considered, a simple move.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Johnny8998 wrote:Well, I’m new to the forum and I’m here researching retirement in Cambodia.

Anyway, there’s currently some talk from the Thai authorities about tightening the requirements fir retirement visa extensions, including a requirement for health insurance (currently not required for O visa retirement extensions). I have a comprehensive Blue Cross policy that’s good in Thailand, but I’m worried that if the insurance requirement comes to pass, my Blue Cross plan might not be acceptable. I’m 72 years old, so buying another health insurance policy in Thailand might not be an option. So, if they change the rules, I guess I’m out of here.
Thailand is restructuring their Thai Elite Visas - options and price increase from what I have seen on the Elite Visa websites. I have not seen any new requirements (online) for the O - Non-O Visas. If you have a source of these changes, perhaps you can post the link.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I cant see any changes coming for the non o extension in the future, nor have i read of any.

If ur happy in Thailand, Stay>
I made the mistake of moving over to Kep in june 2021 thinking i could be happy there, i'd been visiting since 2004, lived in PP in 2008/09, have a KHmer gf, i'm old and after all, the sea was there, gf''s family, nice roads for mtn biking.
After building a house, which was just about the worst experience i have had in 35 years in SE asia, I found that Thailand was so much better for just about everything> SO happily moved back to Phuket last nov.

DONT give up that place u have :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Johnny8998
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Johnny8998 »

Sources for my concern?

There will be a new administration in Thailand, and the former head of Thai immigration, “Big Joke,” has apparently expressed his desire to tighten up the requirements. So nothing is official at this point, but something could be in the works in the near future.

My plan is to stay here so long as I can, but it pays to be prepared.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

stevenjb wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:10 am
Johnny8998 wrote:Well, I’m new to the forum and I’m here researching retirement in Cambodia.

Thailand is restructuring their Thai Elite Visas - options and price increase from what I have seen on the Elite Visa websites. I have not seen any new requirements (online) for the O - Non-O Visas. If you have a source of these changes, perhaps you can post the link.
The Thai Elite Visa program is going to be discontinued September 15th according to the website.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Kenr wrote:
stevenjb wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:10 am

The Thai Elite Visa program is going to be discontinued September 15th according to the website.
My understanding is that the original Thai Elite Visa plans are being discontinued in Sept 2023, with new plans (increased prices) beginning in October 2023.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic