Retiring to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Retiring to Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:53 pm I moved over to Kep in june 21, thinking that was my last move, 17 months later and building a house, returned to Phuket :-)
Maybe you should have done some research first before moving to such a boring province? :stir:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:24 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:53 pm I moved over to Kep in june 21, thinking that was my last move, 17 months later and building a house, returned to Phuket :-)
Maybe you should have done some research first before moving to such a boring province? :stir:
It's a pretty tiresome debate that goes here, TH Vs KH. Personally, unless yo have lived in both for an extended period of time (post honeymoon period) I don't think you would be qualified to even comment (not referring to you JB as I don't know your story). Having personally done 13 years in TH and 9 in KH, they both have their respective pro's and cons. Horses for courses.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

My plan is to retire in Thailand (where I'm currently living), but I'm visiting Cambodia often and keeping an open mind about retiring there or splitting my time, depending on developments in both countries. I'd also be interested in Vietnam (Da Nang specifically) if they ever introduce a proper retirement visa.

I don't get why many people think Cambodia is more affordable than Thailand. The OP seems to think that as well. From my experience, that isn't true at all. Buy a bag of groceries in a Phnom Penh supermarket and the same in a Bangkok supermarket and you'll see the difference. Housing no contest, much more choice and more bang for the buck in Thailand.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i like boring, :-) Had the sea, mts, good trails for bicycling, and family
i'd been going to kep since 2013
FYI: you don't know me

what partial drove me away was the neighbors & noise
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

There are pros and cons in both Thailand and Cambodia. Trying to compare which is better or more affordable is like comparing a Mercedes and a BMW, it’s personal preference.

The visa situation for retirement, the fact that I don’t have to report every 3 months, not having to worry about having an in-country bank account, I can ride a scooter 125cc and under legally without a license, not having to worry about exchange rates, makes Cambodia attractive to me.

The food situation isn’t ideal in Cambodia for me, and grocery prices are pretty sick, but I find that everything balances itself out in the end.

I would be spending the same amount of money in both countries, the only difference is on what the money is being spent on.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Kep is one place after hearing about I never wanted to go to .
I lived and hated living in kapmot for the 2 years I HAD to after losing my shitsville condo to my enemies
But that whole 2 years i never wasted any energy to go to kep to see what I was missing .
What a dump … then god ( because it shirley wasn’t budda sent me to kampong thom for a coupla years and that was
only slightly better than kampot , but boredom there sent me to siem reap where I discovered burger 🍔 king 👑 !
Now I’m in heaven. I still have hope of maybe moving back to chinatown cambrodia but I think at my age I would stay at siem reap , except for the school situation here for junior .. there is no way to find or compare. Schools here between the lesser ones . The treehouse clicky school is on there ( no never . To elite ,- and there is the singapore school s.h.I.n.e. but observation it looks like a military institution , no fun ! ) the past school was not on the web , only facebook , as is his present school. U.S.A . has nothing to do with america 🇺🇸 , and their “ page 📄 “ won’t say the name _ - ~~
…. something something australia . It would hurt me but at some point I should stop being stupid and take him to hawaii
Problem is , I’m old and lazy . and acholohlic .. to liquidate here and make the move would take more energy than what I got .. I need help from a “ tutors . inc “ but that service what I know of it is not up to snuff …
But kep ? Never in a million years.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Alex wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:58 am My plan is to retire in Thailand (where I'm currently living), but I'm visiting Cambodia often and keeping an open mind about retiring there or splitting my time, depending on developments in both countries. I'd also be interested in Vietnam (Da Nang specifically) if they ever introduce a proper retirement visa.

I don't get why many people think Cambodia is more affordable than Thailand. The OP seems to think that as well. From my experience, that isn't true at all. Buy a bag of groceries in a Phnom Penh supermarket and the same in a Bangkok supermarket and you'll see the difference. Housing no contest, much more choice and more bang for the buck in Thailand.
For me cambodia is much more affordable using american 🇺🇸 money . I can pay almost everything with visa credit card 💳
That saves boocoup ATM fees . I got too much money to begin with so it just makes my savings here fatter *..
and I definitely love driving on the american side of the road .
[ I just wish they were more like messicans in america and speak a little thai here , if they don’t know it they sometimes get p.o’d
if I tease them a little in thai. ]
* I only worry if I ever need to get that $$ out 🫣🤷🏼. I know this wouldn’t work if there was currency conversion.
I got investments in some things but no way to really get it back after I’m dead . So really reluctant to invest in anything here .
I’m not paying a ton of BS $ to any crooked lawyer here for a legal paper .. so if I can plan death in hawaii is better

I would hate to have to move to hawaii more crippled than what I am , but no matter what , when I die , jr. Is Fkd.

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Itinerant wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:22 am Thank you for your objective comments which are completely understood unless you are aware of our circumstances. My GF and I have been together for more than a few years and have spent time together outside Thailand, which she always enjoys, so it was her idea to move to another country in SEA where our joint savings can go further.
In consider Cambodia more expensive than Thailand, for a lifestyle of lower quality.

The only things I can think of being cheaper in Cambodia are booze and cigarettes. I once plead the opposite, but that was over a decade ago.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Here's a reasonable tool to calculate quality of life : https://www.worlddata.info/quality-of-l ... =10#ranges
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:43 pm
Kep is one place after hearing about I never wanted to go to .
I lived and hated living in kapmot for the 2 years I HAD to after losing my shitsville condo to my enemies
But that whole 2 years i never wasted any energy to go to kep to see what I was missing .
What a dump … then god ( because it shirley wasn’t budda sent me to kampong thom for a coupla years and that was
only slightly better than kampot , but boredom there sent me to siem reap where I discovered burger 🍔 king 👑 !
Now I’m in heaven. I still have hope of maybe moving back to chinatown cambrodia but I think at my age I would stay at siem reap , except for the school situation here for junior .. there is no way to find or compare. Schools here between the lesser ones . The treehouse clicky school is on there ( no never . To elite ,- and there is the singapore school s.h.I.n.e. but observation it looks like a military institution , no fun ! ) the past school was not on the web , only facebook , as is his present school. U.S.A . has nothing to do with america 🇺🇸 , and their “ page 📄 “ won’t say the name _ - ~~
…. something something australia . It would hurt me but at some point I should stop being stupid and take him to hawaii
Problem is , I’m old and lazy . and acholohlic .. to liquidate here and make the move would take more energy than what I got .. I need help from a “ tutors . inc “ but that service what I know of it is not up to snuff …
But kep ? Never in a million years.
I like Kep but I wouldn't want to be there for more than a couple of days.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic