Honda import from Japan

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Honda import from Japan

Post by Kenr »

Anyone with experience who purchased a Honda motorbike imported from Japan?

Looking at an alleged 2023 Honda PCX 125. I asked them for the VIN and they sent me an 11 digit VIN imprinted from inside the seat. I know all VIN’s are supposed to be 17 digits but they claim imports from Japan are only 11.

What I am most concerned about is how it could be registered if only 11 digits, if that’s really the case.

I am going by the shop later to look to see if there is a VIN by the handlebars.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Honda import from Japan

Post by Freightdog »

Digging through my limited knowledge of Japanese ‘grey’ imports elsewhere- I once had a GT3000 that was an import in the UK.

VIN is a worldwide standard, for international sales. I think Japan doesn’t subscribe to this for domestic sales.
According to a quick web search, you can expect a chassis number up to 12 digits.

How that relates to local registrations, I don’t know. I know that it is doable in other places, but given Cambodia’s intractability at times re.bureaucracy, who knows?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Engine has 12 digits and chassis has 11.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

And my other concern is because there is not a 17 digit VIN I can’t be 100% sure of the model year.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kenr wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:14 am Anyone with experience who purchased a Honda motorbike imported from Japan?

Looking at an alleged 2023 Honda PCX 125. I asked them for the VIN and they sent me an 11 digit VIN imprinted from inside the seat. I know all VIN’s are supposed to be 17 digits but they claim imports from Japan are only 11.

What I am most concerned about is how it could be registered if only 11 digits, if that’s really the case.

I am going by the shop later to look to see if there is a VIN by the handlebars.
Yeah, they are correct that the Japanese don't use the VIN system

Japanese use chassis and engine numbers which are 11 and 12 digit (iirc) - both will be recorded on the bikes reg card when it is registered in Cambodia

The chassis number can be decoded to tell you year of manufacture easily - prob format will be something alphanumeric eg MD22-1201260

Also, afaik, PCX 125 is manufactured solely in Thailand since a long time ago- unless that has changed
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Also, afaik, PCX 125 is manufactured solely in Thailand since a long time ago- unless that has changed.
I've owned 2 Honda PCXs now. Both of them have been 150s. As far as I can tell, they were manufactured in Thailand until 2013. They are now manufactured in Italy, Vietnam and Indonesia. The one I have now I believe was built in Vietnam for export to Japan. The first one I had was built in Thailand and not for export to Japan. I feel the quality of the one built for export to Japan is of better quality and I love the PCX. Great bike. You can spot a PCX that was built for Japan by looking at the writing on top of the front brake master cylinder. It's in Japanese as is lots of other writing on the bike.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Cooldude wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:22 pm Also, afaik, PCX 125 is manufactured solely in Thailand since a long time ago- unless that has changed.
I've owned 2 Honda PCXs now. Both of them have been 150s. As far as I can tell, they were manufactured in Thailand until 2013. They are now manufactured in Italy, Vietnam and Indonesia. The one I have now I believe was built in Vietnam for export to Japan. The first one I had was built in Thailand and not for export to Japan. I feel the quality of the one built for export to Japan is of better quality and I love the PCX. Great bike. You can spot a PCX that was built for Japan by looking at the writing on top of the front brake master cylinder. It's in Japanese as is lots of other writing on the bike.
wow, yeah I wouldn't want one built for Indonesian or Viet domestic markets, they tend to age faster than "real" Hondas
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

wow, yeah I wouldn't want one built for Indonesian or Viet domestic markets, they tend to age faster than "real" Hondas.

Exactly. I never gave it much thought when I bought the first one. I remember one shop in Phnom Penh having them and they were $1,000 more than the regular PCX so I went with the lower priced one and got what I paid for. One common misconception about these bikes even coming from sales people is that the bike is FROM Japan. The bike is being manufactured in probably Indonesia or Vietnam according to standards for export to Japan.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

No way to tell the year based on chassis number. Since the updated version in 2021 all PCX 125’s are coded JK05, with the next 7 numbers being serial numbers. The JK05 may have been on earlier versions also.

Every aspect of the PCX 125 is exactly the same from 2021-2023.

That being said I got them down to $4,200 with everything paid, including license plate in my name with card, free helmet, and the other standard offers that don’t cost them anything. Brand new, 0 km’s so all good.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

You're going to love that bike. That's a fair price for a PCX for the Japanese market. The year should be on your card. Enjoy!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic