Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 5

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 5

Post by hanno »

This would be our last day in Kampot.

The curtain hadn’t magically grown during the last few days, so it was another early start. A quick spin around the hotel and then off for breakfast with Thao and the kids. One place that was consistently recommended was Rusty Keyhole 2. I did go to the original Keyhole many moons ago and remember having breakfast there. I do not remember how it was as it was the morning after the Gentleman’s Hash and I was not in great shape.

Rusty Keyhole Two
2000 Roundabout
Thursday to Tuesday 07:30 to 23:00, closed on Wednesdays.

First impressions were not all that great. The place is more than basic and reminds me of bars and restaurants in Phnom Penh 15 years ago, including a foreigner nursing a beer at 08:30 in the morning. The menu is fairly small, but the prices are very reasonable. I ordered the big breakfast for $5.00 and that gets you three eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, fried potatoes, toast, butter, marmalade, and a cup of coffee or tea. I believe the omelets everyone else was having were 3 Dollars.

Darn good value.

Breakfast came fairly quickly, and it was all good. The bacon was crispy, the sausages were excellent, and the eggs cooked just right for my taste. A little stingy on the jam and potatoes but, again, it was only 5 bucks which is excellent value for money in my books.

A little stingy on the jam.

As we were heading back to Phnom Penh today, it was time for some shopping next. I had promised my staff to bring back Durian (as long as they ate it far away from me) and we headed to Samaki market. The stall owner did not bat an eyelid when I asked for 20 kilos of the vile-smelling stuff; I reckon there are plenty of tourists that buy large quantities.

The things I do for my colleagues.

Whilst Thao and the kids took a rest to recover from all the shopping, I went for a little run across the two bridges. Stinking hot but a nice jog. I did pass Petra’s Schnitzel House, a restaurant that had been on my radar. I did search online but it was not quite clear whether it was actually open but when I ran by it was and our lunch venue was sorted.

Open?

Nope.

I ran back past the Kampot beach, which looks a little rough.

Or so I thought. After a shower, we headed back, only to be greeted by locked doors. Not sure why, there was a prominent sign with the opening hours (and stating the time for last orders, very German and not very customer-friendly). A quick rethink was required, and we headed to the Kampot Seafood & Pepper.

Kampot Seafood & Pepper
Street 710, Road 27
Open Monday to Sunday, 08:00 – 23:00

The restaurant looks pretty nice, both inside and out and the staff were very friendly and on the ball, but then we were the only customers. I was not really hungry after my little run, and whilst I sampled the “Back to Khali” wheat beers (14,000 Riels), Thao ordered the Grilled Seafood Platter (70,000 Riels) and the Paprika Prawn cocktail (19,000 Riels). Good to see that all the prices and the bill were in Riels, I think it was the only restaurant in Kampot that did this. Also good to see that juices were only 6,000 Riels and not the rip-off prices that other restaurants are asking for.

The food looked very good, and Thao and the kids assured me that the food was excellent, and that the seafood was very fresh. Another very pleasant experience and I could have easily spent a little more time there. But duty called and we had to head back to start packing and get ready for our afternoon train.

Our friendly Tuk-tuk driver somehow managed to get 2 suitcases, a big bag (we do not travel light) and twenty kilos of Durian all stowed away and got us to the station. There were few travelers today, this being a Thursday, and we were soon all settled in. The train left on time again and there was not much else except to lean back, have a beer or two, watch everyone else sleep, and enjoy the vistas. The train arrived in Phnom Penh as advertised and that was the end of our short trip.

And a pleasant trip it was. Apart from some small niggles, think curtains and Al Cioccolatino, we had great food and a fantastic time. Oh, did I mention the beers? Some good beers as well. We were also pretty lucky with the weather overall. We will certainly be back and see what else we can find.

kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 5

Post by kgbagent »

hanno wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:57 am This would be our last day in Kampot.

Or so I thought. After a shower, we headed back, only to be greeted by locked doors. Not sure why, there was a prominent sign with the opening hours (and stating the time for last orders, very German and not very customer-friendly). A quick rethink was required, and we headed to the Kampot Seafood & Pepper.

Kampot Seafood & Pepper
Street 710, Road 27
Open Monday to Sunday, 08:00 – 23:00

The restaurant looks pretty nice, both inside and out and the staff were very friendly and on the ball, but then we were the only customers. I was not really hungry after my little run, and whilst I sampled the “Back to Khali” wheat beers (14,000 Riels), Thao ordered the Grilled Seafood Platter (70,000 Riels) and the Paprika Prawn cocktail (19,000 Riels). Good to see that all the prices and the bill were in Riels, I think it was the only restaurant in Kampot that did this. Also good to see that juices were only 6,000 Riels and not the rip-off prices that other restaurants are asking for.

And a pleasant trip it was. Apart from some small niggles, think curtains and Al Cioccolatino, we had great food and a fantastic time. Oh, did I mention the beers? Some good beers as well. We were also pretty lucky with the weather overall. We will certainly be back and see what else we can find.

Cheers for taking the time for the writeup

Petra is a bit weird and her food varies from very good to mediocre - as you say it is very 'German' and her main clientele and it took her years to put her advertising in anything other than German.

Kampot Seafood & Pepper is a beautiful space and possibly the most professional F&B venue in town. Staff are excellent and the kitchen is very consistent in plating and speed of delivery even when the place is full. Your wife chose well especially for the price.

Projeckt Brews in the Kampot Lane would be up your street next time for beers at reasonable prices. Your kids can get a tattoo in the shop next door!

Rusty has a loyal clientele and prices that suits them. Pretty much a Sports Bar though.

That 'beach' is only a few months old and still being adapted. Suspicion is thats where the bypass road bridge, alongside the rail bridge, will be constructed and also likely is a 2 way road parallel to the river providing access to the 2x24 floor towers under construction.

You got a lot done and still have plenty of others not achieved so you can easily pay another visit.

Hope you survived the Durian delivery and thanks again for the reports.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That looks like a dump. The Rusty Keyhole on the river is much nicer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:03 pm Image
That looks like a dump. The Rusty Keyhole on the river is much nicer.
I Like the place, nice and breezy, plays live sports especially rugby, great pub grub, no pretentiousness
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for all that effort hanno ! Good to see you and the family had a good holiday.

One (really good) thing about Kampot restaurants and bars is that there is a huge range of choices within a short walking/cycling/tuktuk distance. If you go somewhere to eat and then decide it's not for you, then stroll onwards and you should find something else that suits you (if you are not an absolute nit-picker.) Kampot is also one of the few provincial towns in Cambodia where you can eat late !
Thanks again for giving us a new eye on Kampot food outlets. :thumb: Cheers.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

There is no Rusty Keyhole on the river. But you are right about it being a dump. The place was never up to much and it is even worse now. OTOH it has some loyal clientele which is probably the only reason they are still open. And I agree with Hanno that the food is usually pretty good for pub grub and at very reasonable prices.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Always liked this place https://www.facebook.com/KepCoffee?mibextid=LQQJ4d

Good food and good for some take away cookies, brownies, cakes.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I think you dodged a bullet with Petra closing

Haven't eaten at this new location but fairly rough fare at her old spot further down the same street

Salt and oil and not much else
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:11 am I think you dodged a bullet with Petra closing

Haven't eaten at this new location but fairly rough fare at her old spot further down the same street

Salt and oil and not much else
Yes, the place looked pretty rough from the outside, but she got some good reviews. Still in search of a real Schnitzel in PP.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

johnny lightning wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:26 am There is no Rusty Keyhole on the river. But you are right about it being a dump. The place was never up to much and it is even worse now. OTOH it has some loyal clientele which is probably the only reason they are still open. And I agree with Hanno that the food is usually pretty good for pub grub and at very reasonable prices.
Did it close down? I ate at one on the river last time I was in Kampot, maybe 2020.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic