Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 5

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 5

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:02 am
johnny lightning wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:26 am There is no Rusty Keyhole on the river. But you are right about it being a dump. The place was never up to much and it is even worse now. OTOH it has some loyal clientele which is probably the only reason they are still open. And I agree with Hanno that the food is usually pretty good for pub grub and at very reasonable prices.
Did it close down? I ate at one on the river last time I was in Kampot, maybe 2020.
Yeah that was the "rusty boathouse" ran by the ex of the original rusty owner and her jockey. Rusty2, mentioned above, predated and outlasted rusty boathouse
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 am
johnny lightning wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:26 am There is no Rusty Keyhole on the river. But you are right about it being a dump. The place was never up to much and it is even worse now. OTOH it has some loyal clientele which is probably the only reason they are still open. And I agree with Hanno that the food is usually pretty good for pub grub and at very reasonable prices.
Did it close down? I ate at one on the river last time I was in Kampot, maybe 2020.
Yeah that was the "rusty boathouse" ran by the ex of the original rusty owner and her jockey. Rusty2, mentioned above, predated and outlasted rusty boathouse
But wasn't the original one on the Riverside way back?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

hanno wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:20 am
Yup the original was next to where Oneils is now.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

canucklhead wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:26 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:20 am
Yup the original was next to where Oneils is now.
Really? I remember it as being in the corner next to Green Boat Bar, just at the beginning of the old market. Used to be famous for their ribs, but didnt have cambodia draft so I was never a customer.

Maybe it had previous locations as well though. I'm fairly new in town with shit for memory lol
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:55 am

Maybe it had previous locations as well though. I'm fairly new in town with shit for memory lol
It did have original spot near where Oh Neils is. There was then a place called Jasmine restaurant on the corner where rusty would later be - with a place called the green man next door where Green Boat is nowadays and Alaska KTV where fishmarket is now and a shuttered old market area with no business at all
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Not quite right. The rusty keyhole on the corner was previously coco house. Jasmine was a few doors along.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

hanno wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:22 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:11 am I think you dodged a bullet with Petra closing

Haven't eaten at this new location but fairly rough fare at her old spot further down the same street

Salt and oil and not much else
Yes, the place looked pretty rough from the outside, but she got some good reviews. Still in search of a real Schnitzel in PP.
It is a good schnitzel usually and Bavarian in size - I mean massive.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Do you mean the Rusty Boathouse? Opened by one of the original partners I believe and same menu still on the river opp Pippali Hotel
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

The original on the river has been shut now for at least 7-8 years. Time flies!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kgbagent wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:29 pm
Do you mean the Rusty Boathouse? Opened by one of the original partners I believe and same menu still on the river opp Pippali Hotel
Probably, it was actually on the river. I was at another one way back that was on the street along the river.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic