20 People Poisoned in Buffet Breakfast

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

20 People Poisoned in Buffet Breakfast

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Siem Reap restaurant is attempting to put the blame on the customers for an outbreak of food-poisoning, where twenty people became sick and three people were sent to hospital. [Note that compensation negotiations are in progress.]

30 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
20 people suffered from food poisoning after having a buffet at a Siem Reap restaurant

20 people have suffered from food poisoning, with at least three of them hospitalised after buffer breakfast.

The restaurant is identified as Srey Khouch Container, located in Siem Reap city.

The victims, who ate at the restaurant yesterday, accused the restaurant owner of serving them bad food and demanded compensation, but the owner denied it and instead claimed that the victims “were eating improperly”, leading to the illness.

As of this morning, the two parties are still trying to find a solution under the supervision of the local police.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501325412/ ... estaurant/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: 20 People Poisoned in Buffet Breakfast

Post by Darkcel »

Unless twenty people are covering their hands in actual shit and then licking them clean, I don't think the restaurant owner has a case.
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

2nd post about food poisoning in a day. That's great! If those are the headlines it means everything is going pretty well in Cambodia.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Darkcel wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:32 pm Unless twenty people are covering their hands in actual shit and then licking them clean, I don't think the restaurant owner has a case.
perhaps eating shrimp raw but most likely just bad food hygiene by the container place
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I hope NKOTB's wife didn't go to that buffet . :sign17:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I didnt know this one, but have been a couple of times in a similar cheap buffet in SR (Meng BBQ) and it was "dirt"-cheap. About same price as this one(7 dollar a person last year). Food looked average, and i am not a food-inspection-lover, but i would think if you cook are bbq it most bacteries are gone, as long if you heat it enough. One of my cousins is a big egg-exporter, and you would be surprised what kind of eggs go to the industrial-bakeries, even in europe with all those crazy rules !! This restaurant is at least open since 2019 if i see the pictures on Maps, what mostly a good sign. Probably the guests smuggled in some "own-drinks" to cut the costs, this kind of restaurant mostly make monEy that way. An english guy who has such a buffet in Patong told me that often they have customers buying booze at 711 and bring to the table. And the owner was pissed and give them something gone bad. Wouldnt surprise me !! ??
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

home made ice cubes
work is for people who cant find truffles
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ice cubes with bits in…
Old prawns, long dead before they were ever purged properly. Badly stored.
Grubby washing facilities (how often do you see actual hot water AND decent dish soap in use)
Contaminated oil…
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:I hope NKOTB's wife didn't go to that buffet . :sign17:
No idea. But she mentioned that the food was super cheap. And this is relative to the normally Khmer cheap. She’s still in the hospital trying to recover.

The idea of health inspectors sounds great. However I don’t think the super cheap place would be compatible with having running a water to wash hands. Or forcing employees to follow health guidelines, wear gloves while preparing food, etc.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am really curious what it takes to make Khmer to go to hospital over food poissoning, if they go to hospital, what would happen to te average barang with our delicate system ?? Ice would be a logical answer. I knever look especially to avoid ice in KOW but from food i never was really sick in KOW. I had often diarrea but usealy after drinking +24 beers and half a bottle of Jaegermeister. Only myself to blame ofcourse !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic