20 People Poisoned in Buffet Breakfast

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Re: 20 People Poisoned in Buffet Breakfast

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:13 pm I am really curious what it takes to make Khmer to go to hospital over food poissoning,
Very little. Khmers who have money love going to hospital and posting photos of the IV in their arm on Facebook. Khmers would go to the hospital like once a week if someone else was paying.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

In all my years.the only time i thought i was dying and had haloucinations was so fckd was from dirty ice .the frozen water kind. I know coz i had 3 teeth pulled out and didnt eat for 2 days.just water and orange juice on ice. Went swimming when hit me nearly drowned.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:09 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:13 pm I am really curious what it takes to make Khmer to go to hospital over food poissoning,
Very little. Khmers who have money love going to hospital and posting photos of the IV in their arm on Facebook. Khmers would go to the hospital like once a week if someone else was paying.
They go to the mom and pop clinics where it's 10 to 20 bucks max, hospital stays are at minimum 100 dollars a day.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:33 pm The idea of health inspectors sounds great. However I don’t think the super cheap place would be compatible with having running a water to wash hands. Or forcing employees to follow health guidelines, wear gloves while preparing food, etc.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I guess Suzie missed her flight to NZ for Saturday's game, and couldn't let all her prep go to waste.

I'm sure she'll be ready for France; she's a big part of the game plan.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

I usually don't worry too much about ice, cubes are factory-made. The large bars of ice in those big red coolers to keep drinks cold and sometimes smashed to pieces for in your drink as well. Only the hands used smashing larger pieces into smaller bits might not be very clean. These bars also do get dragged along the street and in backs of delivery vans at times but I always imagine any dirt on the outside melting off fairly quick. Bits sometimes used in drinks are usually broken into pieces using a colander or sieve siting on top of the cans in the cooler and the outer layer quickly melts away.

Raw vegetables and lettuce washed in what is (at best) tapwater worries me more. There often seems almost a combined shotglass with water droplets hanging off these leafs. Or imagine veggies 'washed' in some stream at the back of a road-side restaurant. A friend of mine even uses bottled water to brush his teeth as he once was quite sick and contributed it to water ingested while brushing teeth as there seemed no other more probable cause...
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I've eaten literally everything put before me here (and purchased plenty of ice from small home-bodegas) and ironically the only time I ever got sick while in Cambodia from food was eating at KFC.

I don't feel like food is too dirty here, especially compared to standards in many other countries (India, US, etc.).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:16 pm I've eaten literally everything put before me here (and purchased plenty of ice from small home-bodegas) and ironically the only time I ever got sick while in Cambodia from food was eating at KFC.

I don't feel like food is too dirty here, especially compared to standards in many other countries (India, US, etc.).
its not so much the food is dirty its the preparation an the people dong the preparation...

i got sick as shit in Kep buying fried chicken on the street, ( no i didn't go to the hospital ) till i learned to save $$, they reuse the oil
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Re-using oil is not deadly or really bad, its done all over the world, but everything has his limits ofcourse !! In Belgium, a good turning fries-shop (Frituur) changes or at least filters oil (or beef-fat) daily. Sometimes i go to the same kind of places in France, even just over the border to eat their (french)-fries, and they are horrible often, just because they reuse the oil for days or weeks. As long as you fire it up really high (+150) i think the possibility to get sick from itare little, but ofcourse the street-shops you never know. Depends also how good they turn, i think some percentage from the oil just dissapears in de food and you have to add always oil to make some new fried chicken, no idea to be honnest. Gonna ask one of my friends here in Belgium who has such a bussiness !! ??
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Its not so much the unhygienic preparation and serving, but the holding temperatures and freshness. I was at a seafood buffet in Siem Reap last week (Red Crab), there was heaps of oysters, prawns, squid etc along with raw pork and raw chicken, all just sitting on beds of ice in the open air. And can we assume that all unsold food is discarded at the end of the day? The F we can. Probably refrozen. Sure, not everyone there is going to get sick, but it certainly increases the chances. When it comes to street food (which I avoid like the plague - literally) I always think - where do the stall holders go to the toilet, or wash their hands, and how do they clean or sanitise their serving equipment? Food stalls generally do not have running water, certainly no hot water, and no refrigerated food storage or display apart from a red ice bin. If no-one ever gets sick, why do we bother with strict food hygiene regulations in the West, is it a waste of time and money?
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic